You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tory Cabinet Thread

Bjornebye

Fair play to Susanna Reid and the other fella, they have just torn John Whittingdale apart over school meals and universal credit there on GMB. 

Fully expect a daily mail hatchet job on the pair over the coming days 

• Upvote 1

Amazing- https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2021/jun/24/ex-chancellor-george-osborne-appointed-chair-british-museum

How this clown gets any position is beyond me. 

Ex-chancellor George Osborne appointed chair of British Museum
Board of trustees chooses man behind austerity policies that brought swingeing cuts to arts and museums

George Osborne
George Osborne said he was ‘absolutely thrilled’ to be joining the museum. Photograph: Hannah McKay/Reuters
Mark Brown Arts correspondent
Thu 24 Jun 2021 11.18 BST

George Osborne, the former chancellor who presided over swingeing austerity cuts to England’s arts and museums budgets, is to be the new chair of the British Museum.

The museum announced on Thursday that Osborne would join its board of trustees in September and succeed the former Financial Times editor Sir Richard Lambert as chair in October.

Osborne was chancellor until 2016 and the architect of austerity policies that had a profound effect on England’s cultural life. His 2010 spending review delivered a 30% cut to England’s arts budget and a 15% cut to national museums.

Since leaving government Osborne has had multiple jobs including editor of the Evening Standard and a £650,000-a-year role as adviser to BlackRock, the world’s largest fund manager.

In February he announced he was dropping his portfolio career to become a full-time banker as a partner at the investment bank Robey Warshaw. He remains chair of the Northern Powerhouse Partnership.

Osborne said he was “absolutely thrilled” to be joining the museum. “All my life I have loved the British Museum. To my mind, it is quite simply the greatest museum in the world. It’s a place that brings cultures together and tells the story of our common humanity.

“I hope to bring my experience, energy and passion to this incredibly exciting role.”

Osborne was chosen by the board of trustees and not the government. It was a unanimous decision, the museum said.

Minouche Shafik, a former deputy governor of the Bank of England who became a crossbench peer in the political peerages list of 2020, is deputy chair of the trustees.

She said: “George Osborne has a longstanding commitment to culture, both personally and in his various public roles. The trustees look forward to working with him to bring the museum to ever-larger audiences and to expand its contribution to public understanding of our collective history.

“He brings enthusiasm for the museum combined with extensive national and international networks and experience with finance and fundraising on a global scale.”

The appointment comes as the museum works on its masterplan to make the displays more coherent and interconnected, described by its director, Hartwig Fischer, as “the biggest transformative project in our history”.

Fischer said he was “very happy” to welcome Osborne, adding he “knows the museum well and values the trust the museum enjoys around the world.

“He understands the active role the British Museum is playing in the recovery of the country, creating opportunities for everyone to discover the collection as their own – onsite, through loans to their local museums and online.”

Osborne’s arrival also comes as the museum faces growing demands to follow the example of European museums and give back objects, such as the Benin bronzes, which were looted by the British.

A new reminder of how insane the Tories have become. This is a guy from the UN :

“There will have to be a backlash. If people see the UK government as increasingly repressive, at some point they will throw it out.”

From the end of this https://www.theguardian.com/law/2021/jun/24/uk-introducing-three-laws-that-threaten-human-rights-says-un-expert

Apparently the photo of him in the clinch was released by The Shitrag. Does that mean Murdoch has had enough of him? Is all part of the Cummings coup? The photo was taken in his private office apparently - so there is government mole somewhere. Seedy stuff all round.

8 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I can’t think, it’s not the PHE data…

24FC2B7F-7C42-4373-97ED-A0371C5197E0.png

Why are they differentiating at age 50? Is that cos of the vaccine roll out, i.e. all over 50s should have had both jabs?

3 minutes ago, magicrat said:

Whether it was a stitch up or not he is one thick arrogant cunt and deserves to end up in the slurry pit 

Absolutely. If he gets binned for this though and not his actions over the past 16 months then it shows the government what they really care about. 

26 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Absolutely. If he gets binned for this though and not his actions over the past 16 months then it shows the government what they really care about. 

Johnson shagged that American bint and bunged her a load of public cash. Hancock's going nowhere over this. I don't even think it's a distraction, just part of a slow drip from Gove's camp to undermine Matty for when he [Gove] makes a move on the leadership.

• Upvote 1