You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tory Cabinet Thread

Bjornebye

7 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict that that figure of "3,000,000" won't stand up to scrutiny.

I think there’s some to be done and some that are for both doses, so it’s not actually 3m done, but it’s close and we should be glad of that. It’s not like the test bollocks, I don’t think.

I said the other day that the adults have taken over, they can’t fuck this up, they’ll make mistakes and probably siphon of cash to their mates still, but centrally it’s out of their hands. 

The scientists have saved their arse and the army are all over logistics, it *should* work, unless they change things which I don’t put past them, but for now this is a success in spite of them.

All they need to keep doing is signing the cheques. 

11 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

What blows my mind the most is the sheer amount of Tory voters who still won't sway from their perverted loyalty to them and anytime you point out that they are being essentially mugged by the very politicians they voted for they will just point to something Labour have done (or haven't) instead of addressing the very clear and real issue in-front of them. An absolute fucking cult. Brainwashed by the media. I reckon if someone did a study of the media output in the Uk between August 2019 and December 2019 there will be shrinks/mediums/poltergeist shaggers who will find (on-top of the blatant Tory bias) weird subliminal messaging coming through urging them to vote Tory just so the fat cat hedge-fund twats and the top shelf tories can get sickeningly rich off Brexit while the vats majority begin the slow march towards financial apocalypse. There will undoubtably be Tories who are grateful for the pandemic because they can point at a 'global crisis' as the reason for our economy being up the wall as opposed to Brexit which is going to be the main cause of pain for everyone in the coming years. 

I think it stems way back from Thatchers 'There's no such thing as society' statement. Its created a generation of selfish wankers who have raised their own kids to think this way too. I've seen it first hand, as soon as you mentioned Labour under Corbyn it was all 'who's going to pay for it' yet this literally never comes up when the Tories flit away billions of pounds in to their own mates pockets. When they suggest spending money on anything, nobody ever questions how it will be paid for! The default response to this is 'yeah but it would have been worse under Labour' or 'Labour would do exactly the same' its a deeply sewn seed that shows no sign of going away. 

In some ways I understand it, because I and many people on here have almost the complete opposite view. I will never vote Conservative under any circumstances. There is no argument to persuade me down that path no matter how hard anybody tried. Even if if it was financially or in some other way in my interest to vote them, I wouldn't because I can see the bigger picture. I do believe in society and I don't want to live in one with huge expanding gaps between rich and poor. 

I'm almost certain you are right about the subliminal messaging. It sums up where we are in the world now that people that are obviously intelligent and talented, are using that 'talent' to create algorithms and manipulate data to make the likes of Johnson and Trump electable instead of trying to create positive change and resolve real issues.  

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Imagine!

At least 14 Conservative MPs, including several ministers, cabinet minister Michael Gove and a number of prominent Tory commentators joined Parler, the social media platform favoured by the far right that was forced offline last week for hosting threats of violence and racist slurs.

Be interesting to see if any of them work at the beeb. 

I'm amazed this hasn't got more coverage:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/breaking-half-million-criminal-records-23329779

Fucking appalling situation.

Loads of possible current trials and prosecutions in jeopardy.

Data explained here:

What the fuck does piece of code find it's way into the system fucking mean?

I am shocked...

'Last week, in a largely unreported decision, Rishi Sunak quietly announced that private equity owned companies would now be eligible for government bailout loans.

This means that fabulously rich private investors like Blackstone, CVC Capital Partners, Apax Partners, Permira Adviors, and Bridgepoint will have access to government business support schemes such as the coronavirus business interruption loan scheme (CBILS) and coronavirus large business interruption loan scheme (CLBILS).

In many ways, this aligns with the government’s broader strategy towards COVID support schemes: they are primarily designed to support ‘business’. And this means that although some jobs may or may not be saved, this is incidental. The main aim is to preserve the corporate economy.

To see why this is problematic, we can look at the record of the COVID-19 Corporate Financing Facility loans – emergency loans provided to corporations by the Bank of England. Rolls-Royce took out £300m and announced 3,000 job losses; Airbus took out £500m and announced 1,700 UK job losses; Ryanair took out £600m before forcing workers to agree pay cuts on threat of 3,000 job losses; easyJet took out £600m and announced 1,900 job losses; and British Airways borrowed £300m which ultimately funded a 10% redundancy scheme. And so the cycle of corporate bailouts worsens the economic fallout of COVID. It is not popular to say this, but we need to face up to the truth: the government’s business support schemes have not only been a major support to their friends in business – they have made the chances of our economic recovery much worse.

The British Private Equity and Venture Capital Association, the industry body that has been lobbying the Treasury in recent months for access to the government COVID schemes, claim that their members employ three million British workers. Given the rapid growth of this model recently (the number of companies backed by private equity rose 15% last year, and this growth is set to continue) this is a surprisingly high, but is probably an accurate estimate.

Private equity firms are often referred to as ‘vulture capitalists’ because of the particular model of investment they use. Private equity firms use their financial muscle to step in and bail out companies that are in trouble. Famous examples include Blackstone’s takeover of Merlin entertainments, the owners of Legoland and Alton Towers, and the recent purchase of Bella Italia, Cafe Rouge and Las Iguanas by private equity firm Epiris a month after the loss of 2,000 jobs in those chains.

Private equity firms use their financial muscle to step in and bail out companies that are in trouble.

Often these takeovers use what is known as a ‘leveraged buyout’ model, whereby the private equity firm borrows large amounts of money to buy firms after they have been refused loans by the banks. These so-called ‘leveraged buyouts’ are the bread and butter of private equity. Because they are often the last hope, they are able to acquire a failing company for a fraction of its previous value. Once private equity firms have control, they can then either invest further, or make further job cuts and sell off the company’s assets (often referred to as ‘asset stripping’).

Although the term ‘vulture capitalists’ is widely used to describe these firms, it is not particularly accurate as a description. After all, Bella Italia, Cafe Rouge and Las Iguanas are still alive – they are not merely carcasses. They survive on the high street, albeit in a more emaciated state, and with a venture capitalist’s axe ready to fall on them at any moment.

A more appropriate metaphor is ‘parasite.’ The Oxford English Dictionary defines a parasite as “an organism that lives in or on an organism of another species (its host) and benefits by deriving nutrients at the other's expense.” This is precisely what private equity does. It may try to keep its host alive, but if it dies, so be it. Off the parasite crawls, to find another host. And there is another reason to call them parasites. Private equity firms are not only hugely rich, with access to funds that rival the big banks, but their model is based on racking up huge debts that are secured by the assets and holdings of the companies they buy over. By changing the rules to allow these companies to access emergency COVID funds, Rishi Sunak has effectively gifted bailout loans to companies that leverage more debt to bail out other companies. It may save some jobs, but the real gains are made by the richest investors. The chancellor is effectively using taxpayers money to pay off the broker. Those funds preserve this system of parasitical capitalism.

To top it all off, private equity capital ends up not being reinvested in the economy, but in a huge pile of cash, waiting for the next leveraged buyout. It was estimated the global value of this pile of “dry powder” capital in January this year was $1.5 trillion.

In my new book ‘Ecocide: kill the corporation before it kills us’, I argue that it is the particular form adopted by corporations that prevent our economies meeting basic human needs. This counts as much for the response to COVID 19 as it does for the future of the plant. The corporation eradicates the possibility that we can put the protection of the planet before profit. Indeed, private equity firms are key drivers in the acceleration of fossil fuel development.

The emergency funds committed by the Treasury to dealing with COVID-19 are in many ways unprecedented. For this reason, they must be more prudently used to build the long term jobs that we need in a truly sustainable economy.

Future generations will ask why this unprecedented effort was not used to transform the economy via a Green New Deal or develop an economic model robust enough to survive future pandemics. What will our answer be?

“Sorry, but our government chose to bail out the parasites instead?”'

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/oureconomy/bailing-out-vulture-capitalists-rishi-sunak-has-revealed-his-true-priorities/?utm_source=fb?utm_source=tw

• Upvote 1

Imagine being that fucking stupid you'd vote against wanting to do the job you've been elected to do. They're all probably sat there saying that'll teach the peers but they won't realise they've just voted away their right to scrutinise anything.

It isn't just the Tory voters that are a bit dim.

• Upvote 1