You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tory Cabinet Thread

Bjornebye

Great that this shit - a couple of Tory spads getting the boot - receives wall to wall coverage for a couple of days, and the release of a parliamentary report on anti-black racism that highlights structural failings across a number of institutions, including the EHRC, goes by largely without comment. It may also have been helpful to report on the new commissioner appointment to the EHRC, who has pretty questionable views to say the least, but I guess things pertaining to EHRC aren't in vogue all of a sudden, for some inexplicable reason.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Numero said:

The way this paragraph for Wiki has a crescendo likening him to Robespierre, then suddenly crashes into the hedge is quite masterful. 

After attending state primary school, he was privately educated at Durham School[5] and Exeter College, Oxford, where he studied under Norman Stone,[6] graduating in 1994 with a First in Ancient and Modern History.[7] One of his former tutors has described him to the New Statesman as "fizzing with ideas, unconvinced by any received set of views about anything". He was "something like a Robespierre – someone determined to bring down things that don’t work."[4] Also in his youth, he worked at Klute, a nightclub owned by his uncle in Durham.[8]

That reminds me that my sister worked at Klute when she was at university, and was fired by Cummings' uncle.

It will come as no surprise, I think, that Phil Cummings is also apparently a twat.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Duff Man said:

Great that this shit - a couple of Tory spads getting the boot - receives wall to wall coverage for a couple of days, and the release of a parliamentary report on anti-black racism that highlights structural failings across a number of institutions, including the EHRC, goes by largely without comment. It may also have been helpful to report on the new commissioner appointment to the EHRC, who has pretty questionable views to say the least, but I guess things pertaining to EHRC aren't in vogue all of a sudden, for some inexplicable reason.

Yep, just as the uk hits 50000 covid deaths as well.Sad fact is a bit of gossip is what a lot of British people want

• Like 1

1 hour ago, littletedwest said:

Yep, just as the uk hits 50000 covid deaths as well.Sad fact is a bit of gossip is what a lot of British people want

I'm sure a lot do, but then they don't really have a choice when the lobby just focus on this stuff. That report could (and should) have been as much of a story as the EHRC report on antisemitism was - especially given the failings identified go far further than just a single political party - but it wasn't, at all, and, well, you can draw your own conclusions about why that is, but at the end of the day what we're left with is a media who one week care very much racism and the effectiveness of the EHRC in tackling it, and then the next week seemingly not at all.

2 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I hadn't even thought of that. I hope it was him and someone tries to get him done under the official secrets act. 

Nah, one hand will wash the other clean.

They know too much about each other to air dirty laundry, I assume.

One will slope to earn a fortune in the private sector before being found out as a huge fraud who has ridden the crest of far smarter peoples waves; no idea what Cummings will do!

It's just depressing that these chumps ever got near real power, let alone weald it.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Reporting that Johnson kicked out Cummings as he was suspected of ' briefing against him 'and will now steer a different course.

I must have missed something, I always assumed Advisors advise and the PM makes decisions.

It can happen to the best of 'em, and Johnson is nowhere near that.

Photo: Grima Wormtongue (Brad Dourif) şi Theoden (Bernard Hill) - LOTR The  Two Towers 527.jpg | The two towers, Lotr, Engagement portraits

• Upvote 2

I think the most important thing is who the picture of him being booted/walking out #10’s front door serves.

Cain walked out the side door without any fanfare, as would anybody else.

Again, the sceptic in me thinks that it’s a pointed move from one of the parties.

Nobody at this level isn’t thinking about optics.

20 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Yeah, it looked like a pure PR stunt. Front door, carrying his box. Righto.

Again, with most of the shit these cunts pull, it’s too ‘perfect’ and suits both sides of the confirmation bias optic.

He’ll be back doing something as soon as the dust settles, he's already been booted once and been in contempt of Parliament, he's a few more lives yet.

All of this faff Is just part of the pantomime.

Dominic Cummings’ lockdown journeys in the north-east “stank”, a Tory backbencher had admitted after supporting the UK prime minister’s former chief aide at the time.

Crispin Blunt said Boris Johnson should not have supported Cummings after his controversial trips to Durham and Barnard Castle were exposed by the Guardian and the Daily Mirror.

Blunt was not one of the 45 backbenchers who called for Cummings to go at the time, but speaking on Times Radio he admitted his behaviour “gravely undermined” the government’s message on coronavirus.

Interviewed a day after Cummings left Downing Street with immediate effect, Blunt was asked if the PM was right to back the adviser. He said:

"With the benefit of hindsight, no. However, you’ve got to make a call about what is seen to be fair and proper in the circumstances and Boris made a call on that.

I happened to agree with him [Cummings] because I saw his behaviour as being consistent with what we were trying to do, and what he was trying to do for his family was consistent with trying to protect the wider public and doing the right thing for his family. That is an individual issue.

The politics of it obviously absolutely stank and once it had been alighted upon by people it was a very bad example and it gravely undermined, obviously because of the huge attention it received, trust in the government’s policy."

No need for the 'benefit of hindsight', what Cummings did was obviously completely wrong and you nonetheless supported him, risking public health for the sake of your own, tawdry party.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Mudface said:

No need for the 'benefit of hindsight', what Cummings did was obviously completely wrong and you nonetheless supported him, risking public health for the sake of your own, tawdry party.

As we can see with the Republicans at the moment, the thought that politicians are generally in it to help people rather than their party and themselves is palpably untrue.

• Upvote 2

On 13/11/2020 at 18:16, Barrington Womble said:

Yeah, but it gives them another opportunity to reset the clock, blame everything that has happened before on someone else and it's a new beginning with a brand new Tory regime.

Fucking Nostradamus here.

Dominic Cummings and Lee Cain: Exits give chance to 'reset government'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54941846

2 hours ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Fucking Nostradamus here.

Dominic Cummings and Lee Cain: Exits give chance to 'reset government'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54941846

The cunts are entirely predictable. Hopefully starmer won't let them off the hook with it. Labour need to be making big noises that these cunts own this mess. 

Eustice doing the rounds tomorrow so that tells us nothing.

If he starts waffling about ‘new beginnings’ ‘a fresh start’ Alex has been slapped down by the back benchers and been told he’s gone if they don’t reign it in. 

If he’s talking about Brexit from the off and ‘we’re’ looking to find the best possible deal then  they’ve been slapped down from America’s new gov.

If he’s not got a fucking clue and is waffling shite about all sorts he’s not been briefed.

If it’s covid, it’s damage limitation and business as usual.

None of the above are in any way good.

I’d play the excuse bingo drinking games if I could stomach drinking at 9am, but I’d be blind drunk by 9:15 if I did.