You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

WWF Draft Discussion Thread

Bjornebye

3 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

I used to love watching the cruiserweights in WCW/NJPW back in the day. Vince has never liked them or truely given them backing for the division the roid headed loving bastard he is. Can't remember him ever giving a Japanese star a proper push, or giving them a non sneaky racist character. If he hadn't nearly done time as a roid peddler we would still be seeing the likes of The Warlord and other 6'5 meathead being pushed. The steroid scandal is the best thing that's happened to wrestling, that and the end of the Hardcore rubbish that was around 20 years ago. Even as someone not arsed by violence the barbed wire,thumb tacs, constant blood was a real turn off and ECW etc was worse

Tiger Mask

Dean Malenk

Tajiri

Billy Kidman

Juventud Guerrera

Psychos

Ultimo Dragon

Yeah agree with the hardcore stuff. I don't want to see someone get hit with a bat wrapped in barbed-wried. No thanks. Mankind throwing himself off a cage was about as far as it should have gone. That match with the Undertaker was just superb but painful even to watch. 

4 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Yeah true mate but they shouldn't have fucked him over in the first place. McMahon was a brutal fucker. The footage of him leaving the locker room after Bret Hart banged him out is superb. 

The money was mad as well. I cant believe WCW could out-bid WWF in the 90's. Never would have thought that in a million years. 

WWF was not in good shape at the time. 

Without Ted Turner pumping money into WCW it would never had happened. Vince has killed old style wrestling.,the terrortory days where over and you had two proper option WCW or WWF and WCW was very much old school southern wrestling to Vince big show, celebrity character stuff. WWF wrestlers where also classed as independent contractors so didn't have that many rights and where fired easily, and from what I'm aware not looked after if injured etc. 

When Ted Turner started pumping money in they offered fully guaranteed contracts on far more money, with far fewer shows that WWF offered so the stars signed. WWF stars where working well well over 300 days a year at the time with house shows and TV taping. WCW was far less 

2 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

WWF was not in good shape at the time. 

Without Ted Turner pumping money into WCW it would never had happened. Vince has killed old style wrestling.,the terrortory days where over and you had two proper option WCW or WWF and WCW was very much old school southern wrestling to Vince big show, celebrity character stuff. WWF wrestlers where also classed as independent contractors so didn't have that many rights and where fired easily, and from what I'm aware not looked after if injured etc. 

When Ted Turner started pumping money in they offered fully guaranteed contracts on far more money, with far fewer shows that WWF offered so the stars signed. WWF stars where working well well over 300 days a year at the time with house shows and TV taping. WCW was far less 

I'm glad I had my wrestling phase when I did, early 90's. Briefly watched it again when Stone Cold and The Rock were at their peak but I couldn't watch it now. 

6 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Yeah agree with the hardcore stuff. I don't want to see someone get hit with a bat wrapped in barbed-wried. No thanks. Mankind throwing himself off a cage was about as far as it should have gone. That match with the Undertaker was just superb but painful even to watch. 

Yeah same with me. 

Its obviously nostalgia but I prefer the old days of heels and babyface. If a heel wins he's cheated to do so. 

I'm rereading Mich Foley first book at the moment and it's horrific at times some of the stuff he did in Japan. The injuries are unreal,and wwe has a short documentary on the hell in a cell and fuck it was brutal. They were very lucky he didn't die, when he went through the cage roof it wasn't planned exactly like it went, the Undertaker says that had he not been standing where he was he would have followed him through the cage and landed on top of him and likely broke his neck. 

For all the 'it's fake' these guys don't half take one hell of a beating to bring entertainment to people

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I'm glad I had my wrestling phase when I did, early 90's. Briefly watched it again when Stone Cold and The Rock were at their peak but I couldn't watch it now. 

I'm just about to starting to watch a little bit but find myself going back to watch older stuff. Prefer the interviews and documentaried of older stuff. 

I watched from late 80s to around early/mid 00. Then stopped and just watched the odd bit here after that. Its hard to just start watching again when you haven't a clue who's who

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Wasn’t WCW’s main problem that they paid more than WWF but wrestled / worked significantly less, hence they were never covering their overheads?

Part of it was. But while Turner was happy covering the costs he didn't care and had they lasted a little longer they may have won. His issue was they gave so many wrestlers creative control so they would refuse to lose, or if they did it wasn't clean. They also never created stars anymore. Outside of the cruiserweights who would never get the spotlight they just went with Hogan, Nash, Hall, Flair all of who where on the way down. Remember they have Austin, Triple HHH, Jericho, Guerrero etc and lost all of them. 

The Montreal Screw-Job probably save WWE in the end, Vince interview the day after 'Brett screwed Brett' set up the Mr McMahon character and with Austin coming through, DX it shot them through the roof

6 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Wasn’t WCW’s main problem that they paid more than WWF but wrestled / worked significantly less, hence they were never covering their overheads?

Yeah Vince played the long game with regards contracts then gave in to HHH and HBK and their DX idea after turning it down which opened the door to the whole attitude erw

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I'm glad I had my wrestling phase when I did. Briefly watched it again when Stone Cold and The Rock were at their peak but I couldn't watch it now. 

Thing is about these days, the actual in-ring stuff is the best it’s ever been. Watch some of the matches now and compare it to the Attitude-era and the matches now are far, far more athletic with better performances...

...the issues are the storylines are shite, but most importantly, the wrestlers are boring as fuck. 

If I’m bored in bed, I’ll stick it on my iPad and likely fall asleep watching it. From what I’ve seen, the most interesting character is Bray Wyatt and now latterly The Fiend. He’s somebody you can actually believe in his character and he’s good in the ring, he wins the title and then loses to 53 year old Goldberg. 

Like when Goldberg beat Kevin Owens within seconds. Or Brock Lesner beating Kofi Kingston within seconds. 

Wyatt & Owens have come up with far, far more interesting characters than Roman Reigns, AJ Styles and a few others.

Its not just Wyatt & Owens who have suffered, but how can fans invest in the current roster when all the old Attidtude and before wrestlers come out beat them every time, making the current wrestlers look like chumps? 

And don’t get me started on how Shane McMahon is somehow portrayed as fucking the bastard child of Hogan, Undertaker & Austin combined...

Ridiculous. 

I used to love the storylines. There is a bit about Jake the Snakes cobra biting Macho man on the macho Man documentary from the ones posted yesterday. The snake had obviously been sorted out so it wasn't poisonous but Macho Man was having none of it and made Jake the Snake let it bite him first. Then sat there watching him for half an hour to see if anything happened. When the cobra bit Macho Man in the ring Jake couldn't get the fucking thing off his arm. Absolutely fucking nuts. A cobra for god sake.

"Right then I bring the cobra out, piss it off then let it latch itself to your arm" 

"Yeah how about you just keep hitting me with the chair instead?" 

From what I’ve watched on BT now, NXT is far and away the best show of the week.

But again, as soon as the biggest star from

NXT moves to Raw or Smackdown, they get buried in mid-card hell, when they should go straight into title frames and freshen the show up. 

Too many "false finishes" nowadays people kick out of everything. It used to be special when someone (other than Hogan or Warrior) would kick out of a finisher at Mania.

Has anyone seen Jake's promo on AEW? I hate to big up Stigs guy when he is against me in the voting but seeing as he has rigged it already he shows how a promo should be done

7 minutes ago, Colt Seavers said:

Too many "false finishes" nowadays people kick out of everything. It used to be special when someone (other than Hogan or Warrior) would kick out of a finisher at Mania.

Has anyone seen Jake's promo on AEW? I hate to big up Stigs guy when he is against me in the voting but seeing as he has rigged it already he shows how a promo should be done

Agree with all of this

Jake Roberts is involved in AEW? 

Might have to give it a watch, read its getting good review. Always been interested in watching NJPW. 

I think WWF lost its way when it split raw and nitro into separate divisions. Not having decent competition seems to have been another big factor. My mates who are really into their wrestling are all in on this new AEW promotion

45 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Agree with all of this

Jake Roberts is involved in AEW? 

Might have to give it a watch, read its getting good review. Always been interested in watching NJPW. 

Yeah I don't watch wrestling these days other than WWF PPVs but someone sent me a link he killed it on the promo, he is managing someone I think