You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

4 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Yeah incredible that. Whatever about before but now you could have a farcical situation where some clubs are playing 2nd legs and getting smashed - wouldn't fancy PSG against Dortmund for example. Sporting integrity my arse.

Raphael Honingstein said there are three options available and all have PSG as champion. It appears they are likely to go the ppg route. Whether they alter relegation/promotion is anyones's guess. Voiding off the table there seemingly. To be fair, even the head of the Dutch FA said it would be hard to deny Liverpool the title - it seemed to be his way of justifying their decision.

I heard 4 premier league clubs could go under in the coming weeks. Haven't a clue who they are but hearing stuff like that make me still think they will find a way to complete it. If not, I think we get it on ppg.

The parade last year was one of the best days of my life. I dreamt of what this season was going to look like, but once we all stay safe on here that is the main thing and number 19 will be sweet in an understated way.

I could believe that, theres definitely going to be some football league clubs disappear, especially in the Championship where wages are fucking mental.

I heard the other week one club in the championships wage bill is 115% of their turnover, think it might have been Derby.

2 minutes ago, LFC 6 Times said:

Jesus this is insane, the anxiety this has caused me, one second it’s the horror of void looking likely then a journalist claims that’s not case. It’s absolutely panic inducing, just give us the title and move on.

It's doing my head in. The Premier League should say that if the fixtures cannot be fulfilled then they have the options like that Raphael Honigsrein has outlined above. 

Not only to stop my nerves being shredded but to shut all the void nonces up every time they hear that a random league in Europe has cancelled their season.

2 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

I was initially talking about a breakaway league, but I believe there was also a rumour a few years ago of UEFA awarding perpetual automatic qualification to certain key clubs in order to maximise prestige and income.

There is no chance of that. An English fan of a couple of sides may want to believe it.

The same clubs from other leagues are in it year after year anyway.

If I had to guess between Real, Barca, Juve and Bayern those clubs maybe have missed maybe 6 between them in the last 25 years.

2nd tier leagues are even more monopolised - I think Shakthar has won their league like 15 years in a row.

3 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

I think Norwich are one of those 4, they were defending their decision to furlough staff as they have lost £35m since the league stopped. Hope West Ham and Everton are 2 of the other 3. 

One Premier League club was reported the other week to be losing £9m a week since the league has been suspended. Im guessing that's Spurs with their new stadium costs.

everton fans think they will be protected from all this because Usmanov is bank rolling them. In all honesty, I hope he is but under the counter. When it all comes out, they'll be heavily sanctioned and relegated to The Championship.

Im usually sympathetic to lower league clubs in financial difficulties but to be honest, with cunts like that coventry fan 'celebrating' leagues being cancelled as it means Liverpool wont win the league, can fuck off and go the same way as Bury.

I mean coventry are top of league one by 5 points, the cunt's clearly deluded if he thinks the PL shouldnt be awarded to Liverpool yet his club should be crowned champions of league one and promoted.

7 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

There is no chance of that. An English fan of a couple of sides may want to believe it.

The same clubs from other leagues are in it year after year anyway.

If I had to guess between Real, Barca, Juve and Bayern those clubs maybe have missed maybe 6 between them in the last 25 years.

2nd tier leagues are even more monopolised - I think Shakthar has won their league like 15 years in a row.

I think AC Milan demanded or strongly suggested to UEFA one year that they should be allowed in the CL because of their recent history in it. 

They had one it twice in the 2000s then went shit after their second win and were skint.

Roughly translated those 3 options for Ligue 1 are:

1. Points per game ratio

2. Standings after 19 games (halfway)

3. Standings after  27 games (when season finished).

All have PSG as the champions. If they introduced the same scenarios here we would still be champions under all 3 possibilities.

22 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

It's doing my head in. The Premier League should say that if the fixtures cannot be fulfilled then they have the options like that Raphael Honigsrein has outlined above. 

Not only to stop my nerves being shredded but to shut all the void nonces up every time they hear that a random league in Europe has cancelled their season.

Do you think facts or reason would shut the "void" nonces up?

If the season isn't completed, there will be serious legal arguments over promotion, relegation and European qualifications.  These would be preceded by about 30 seconds of everybody saying "well, Liverpool are Champions, obviously", because it's the one issue that there wouldn't be any scope for debate over.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

You can't award sides European places, protect sides from relegation and promote teams for next season making a bigger league and not award the title. You've literally just rewarded every single side other than the one team that deserves it. 

I’d agree in that case; the issue would come if, like the Dutch, we chickened out on awarding anything other than the European places. No champions is easy to justify when neither promotion nor relegation takes place.

39 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

I could believe that, theres definitely going to be some football league clubs disappear, especially in the Championship where wages are fucking mental.

I heard the other week one club in the championships wage bill is 115% of their turnover, think it might have been Derby.

Yeah the Championship is a rat race. Not sure how clubs like wba and leeds would take not being promoted given both have probably banked themselves to the hilt about returning to the PL.

I would say West Ham is one of the four. Spurs are well run, but with stadium costs it could be them also. 

4 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

How can you say teams have done enough to qualify for Europe/promotion but not done enough to win the league despite it being the biggest point difference out of all of them.

I don’t know; unless determined to impress the void boyz you couldn’t, but who knows what’s going on in the minds of owners, particularly unpopular ones?

Just saying if they were particularly weasel-like, enough clubs might look at the Dutch surrender and say “that’s our way!”.

5 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Do you think facts or reason would shut the "void" nonces up?

If the season isn't completed, there will be serious legal arguments over promotion, relegation and European qualifications.  These would be preceded by about 30 seconds of everybody saying "well, Liverpool are Champions, obviously", because it's the one issue that there wouldn't be any scope for debate over.

I dont think it would shut them up but they would just keep saying football isn't important etc just as a coping mechanism. 

Weren't we the only team so far ahead in the history of the top 5 leagues in Europe in January as well?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

I’d agree in that case; the issue would come if, like the Dutch, we chickened out on awarding anything other than the European places. No champions is easy to justify when neither promotion nor relegation takes place.

Of all the leagues, we are the least likely to make that call imo. A team that has dropped 5 points all season essentially needs 6 points from 19 games (us and City). Most clubs won't have an issue with awarding us the title. I genuinely think there could be title playoffs in some of the other leagues. Us and PSG are safe in that regard imo.

22 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

We could have already won it mathematically and certain fans would still not want it to be awarded. 

Exactly they’d just be coming out with shite like if it has to be cancelled the there can be no winners as it wasn’t finished .

I honestly don’t think I’ve seen a more toxic response to a football team and it’s fans winning a title that we’ve deserved but if we don’t it’s because thousands have died yet somehow they take the moral high ground and it’s our fanbase that’s victims and bin dippers 

Like this horrible twat who I’ve put in the smarmy faces thread Man Utd supporting cockney wanker and Talkshite presenter Andy Wankstain who has tweeted a few times about voiding the league 

Andy Goldstein MBE
@andygoldstein05
French football cancelled to August at the earliest. Been saying this for weeks now. May, June...much too soon. Cancel this season. Look ahead to the start of the new one. Makes sense.

Which followed up from his one yesterday ...

Are the #PL that stupid to think #LFC fans won’t be outside Anfield?”

“Don’t allow a team to become champions whilst in lockdown!”

“It’s not just Liverpool, it’s football fans!”

claims the PL champions must be crowned post-lockdown. Thoughts?

andy_goldstein_0.jpg?strip=all&quality=1