You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

21 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

Now that UEFA have basically confirmed Liverpool will be champions one way or the other, watch all the ones calling for the season to be ended out of ‘respect for the dead’ not to give a shite anymore now voiding is off the table.

Nope, there’s still a caveat for them to cling to.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11977682/uefa-leagues-to-have-power-to-interpret-sporting-merit-if-seasons-do-not-finish

UEFA has confirmed qualification for the Champions League and Europa League must be decided on 'sporting merit' - but each league and association will have the power to determine how that is interpreted if the season is unable to be finished.

56 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

You'd love Spanish telly at the moment. The two free sports channels are showing loads of old club and International football every day.

Watched the 1984 Copa Del Rey final a couple of days ago (Athletic Bilbao booting Maradona up and down the pitch and winning 1-0).

Isn't ITV going to be showing Euro 96 in May?

Sounds fantastic. I heard about Euro 96. To be honest, I can barely remember anything about it. World Cup > Euros

12 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Sounds fantastic. I heard about Euro 96. To be honest, I can barely remember anything about it. World Cup > Euros

I remember USA 94, but Euro 96 is the first major International competition I remember really well (I was 10) and obviously it was in England and the team was decent.

On a related note, and cheers to Robbie for posting the link, this website is fucking great for old games -

https://footballia.net

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

There is nothing to cling to, its straight forward, you want teams in European competition then you decide what you think is the fairest way once it's on sporting merit. That can be discussed until the cows come home to decide relegation and top 4 but every which way ends with us as champions. Even catcherintheye's 120 year forumla probably still has us out front.

The next step will be Scotland to cancel their league and crown Celtic as champions which seals our fate imo. 

The way I see it now: 

Leagues will be completed behind closed doors. 

or

Leagues that can't do that despite best efforts (ie it gets to end of July/Aug and still not restarted, run play offs to decide euro places/relegation if possible. 

smaller league for financial reasons/government forced, will cancel and decide final standings based on ppg.

Where there's a clear champion (Scotland/Belgium) they'll crown them and where's there isn't a clear winner (holland)  they may decide not to have a champion but use current standings for European qualification.

Relegation is gonna be the tough one to decide. 

20 minutes ago, No2 said:

There is nothing to cling to, its straight forward, you want teams in European competition then you decide what you think is the fairest way once it's on sporting merit. That can be discussed until the cows come home to decide relegation and top 4 but every which way ends with us as champions. Even catcherintheye's 120 year forumla probably still has us out front.

Don’t be surprised if they cop-out and award the European spots but refuse to award the title, using their inability to relegate teams as the reason for being unable to crown champions. We finished first but aren’t champions, in the same way Norwich finished 20th but aren’t relegated.

15 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Don’t be surprised if they cop-out and award the European spots but refuse to award the title, using their inability to relegate teams as the reason for being unable to crown champions. We finished first but aren’t champions, in the same way Norwich finished 20th but aren’t relegated.

Not a chance in fucking hell that happens

39 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

I remember USA 94, but Euro 96 is the first major International competition I remember really well (I was 10) and obviously it was in England and the team was decent.

On a related note, and cheers to Robbie for posting the link, this website is fucking great for old games -

https://footballia.net

Just clicked on that link and they have got Norwich v Middlesbrough from the 04/05 season showing. 

28 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Nonsense

1 hour ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Nah. You have to be a massive cynic to think that. They'll award the title and have no relegation first and foremost.

It’s not the best way to win the league even though we had all but won it but in a weird way I always thought after winning it so easy I imagined it would have a knock on effect like Leeds and Blackburn did when they won it we’d suffer the following season.

Now when it does eventually restart we’ll be champions but the players, manager and fans will still be hungary as fuck to do it again only this time so they can all enjoy it . 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

You aren’t very good at normal are you? 

I have experience from running a city though, as an example not a single individual have been infected by the virus in our old peoples homes.

With the right precautions in place this is actually pretty straight forward for football.

5 minutes ago, Code said:

I have experience from running a city though, as an example not a single individual have been infected by the virus in our old peoples homes.

With the right precautions in place this is actually pretty straight forward for football.

6 minutes ago, Code said:

0.08% (as of April 18th) of Stavanger have been diagnosed with it. 

Lets play the games in old peoples homes in Norway. 

12 minutes ago, Mathewbet1 said:

With no match day revenue this calendar year , If they don't find away of getting some games on at some point i can see half the prem teams will struggling to survive in a few months.

Matchday revenue is a drop in the bucket, relatively speaking.

Teams will be fine with games behind closed doors, because they will at least get the TV money that way. They will miss out on some money made from overpriced beers and pies and of course tickets, but in the great scheme of things it won't be that bad.

I expect this summer will be a weird one, though. Transfer values are going to take a big hit, but no one is sure how big of a hit and that's going to make for some odd/difficult negotiations.

I reckon PL footy will be back on our boxes soon. The whole of the footy establishment is so avaricious and they know they are sitting on a fortune here. Everyone sat at home bored. They could make a fortune very quickly. Maybe more than they would have made.

They'll find a way. IMHO.