You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

People really need to stop wetting their knickers over rival fans talking about voiding.   Cause that's all it is right now. 

It's going to resume behind closed doors or we'll be awarded the title. 

Both scenarios are completely shite, ruining what should have been a momentous occasion. 

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

The two things that will save it from being "voided" are the fact we are so far ahead and the fact that the clubs stand to lose so much if it is cancelled. It will be interesting to see what happens in some of the other countries now. Seems to be a feeling some countries will resume in the next six weeks. Worst case they give it to us in some way.

Uefa and the leagues may just look at completing this calendar season in the autumn and see where that brings us in terms of next season. Say if it was wrapped up in November, look at going again in January depending on whether things are kicking off, which would seem to be a real possibility. The whole worry about next season for all those lovely fans of other clubs then suddenly becomes void. 

I have wondered for a few weeks if the pl games end up played in the middle east and i think that is a possibility. Other leagues have tested it already in their seasons and the pl can now test the waters with it. Depending on how things are in some of the countries, they may get bums on seats which would be music to the ears of FSG. It could save some clubs from financial ruin.

Thinking logically, we are the easy decision. Deciding relegation and champions league spots is a different matter. Deciding who comes up as well. I still see them looking at every option before worst case scenario, they hand us the title. Voiding it and pressing reset is the nuclear option against one of the world's biggest clubs. The Mancs board will be happy if the season is completed to give them a chance of cl football, while the other Mancs know their 2 year ban is ticking down every day anyway.

I dont for one minute think the PL season will be 'null and void' and us not crowned champions like all the shouters demand. But the fact the Dutch Government has stepped in and effectively stopped their league re starting until September is a different story.

True, there had been rumblings of the clubs wanting to end the Dutch season and with the situation at the top of the league being so tight, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that the clubs themselves will agree cancelling it and having no champions is the way to go.

If they do, that then puts UEFA under mounting pressure to award CL and EL places on Dutch club's co efficient.

It's the fact that the Dutch Government have outright said no footie until September plus Public Health England's utter shambolic handling of the testing situation and advice that concerns me.

They are searching for a gold standard test virtually every other virologist says is impossible to achieve. Without accuracte testing, Im unclear how PL footie even in empty stadiums could resume.

I can't see the remaining PL games being played abroad, where is there that hasnt got the virus? In any event, dont you risk taking it there, wherever there is?

Im talking myself into a frenzy here and I dont really want to do that. I just see the window of opportunity to re start the league shortening now. I think the 'null and voiders' who think if they get their way that the next season is starting in August or September are just mistaken, it may very well be a lot later than that.

1 hour ago, devilsadvocate said:

The time to worry will be if Germany/Spain/Italy/France decide to cancel their current season. 

Leagues like Belgium/Scotland/ Holland have no where near the same size tv deals/implications if they cancel as the big 5 leagues. 

Germany are about to become a problem. If they get finished by Sep/Oct, which looks likely they won't want to be waiting around 6 months for Italy or England to catch up. Increasingly I'm preparing myself for an uncompleted season. Add in Saudi Arabia blatantly using football as a political tool and it all seems a little pointless.

The season might well be finished as of now if the situation doesn't get any better, but we'll still be crowned Champions and frankly that is all I fucking care about (in a football sense). I'll wear the asterisk as a badge of honour.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Jenson said:

The season might well be finished as of now if the situation doesn't get any better, but we'll still be crowned Champions and frankly that is all I fucking care about (in a football sense). I'll wear the asterisk as a badge of honour.

But the situation is getting better.  We've all flattened the curve.  In 2 weeks we in Ireland are going to start small steps towards opening the economy.  I'd expect the UK will follow suit once they've got to our level of the curve.  Germany have pencilled a date in early May to start their league.  Once one major league starts, it'll roll from their I hope.  With 10 games to go, the league can be done in 3 weeks if they do sensible things like allow 5 subs for example.

I'm still on the side that the football Gods are going to shaft us yet again, but a tiny part of me (not my penis) is a bit hopeful of a small light at the end of a big tunnel that isn't just another train speeding towards us.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

I dont for one minute think the PL season will be 'null and void' and us not crowned champions like all the shouters demand. But the fact the Dutch Government has stepped in and effectively stopped their league re starting until September is a different story.

True, there had been rumblings of the clubs wanting to end the Dutch season and with the situation at the top of the league being so tight, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that the clubs themselves will agree cancelling it and having no champions is the way to go.

If they do, that then puts UEFA under mounting pressure to award CL and EL places on Dutch club's co efficient.

It's the fact that the Dutch Government have outright said no footie until September plus Public Health England's utter shambolic handling of the testing situation and advice that concerns me.

They are searching for a gold standard test virtually every other virologist says is impossible to achieve. Without accuracte testing, Im unclear how PL footie even in empty stadiums could resume.

I can't see the remaining PL games being played abroad, where is there that hasnt got the virus? In any event, dont you risk taking it there, wherever there is?

Im talking myself into a frenzy here and I dont really want to do that. I just see the window of opportunity to re start the league shortening now. I think the 'null and voiders' who think if they get their way that the next season is starting in August or September are just mistaken, it may very well be a lot later than that.

The reason I think they may look at going abroad is that it will be a pr disaster if they use up public services here even if it is a few weeks (months?)time. 

Don't get me wrong I think the most likely scenario is that we are 5-6 weeks behind the bundesliga and play games behind closed doors here, but I would say the chances of playing abroad is slightly higher than it was previously. Same with the other major leagues. All of them have flirted with it before and copa italia games have been played abroad i think. 

The Dutch are in a rough situation. Unlike Belgium or Scotland, it is very hard to declare Ajax champions when they are only ahead of AZ on goal difference. In the same way, we will look to the example of Belgium and Scotland if the season can't be completed, it goes without saying that the relegation threatened teams will look to a Dutch example if they went down the route of no champion, no relegation, no promotion. I think the premier league will crown us champions with no teams relegated and 2-3 teams coming up. The Brighton chairman suggested that and I wonder has that been essentially made the back up plan. 

1 hour ago, TheDrowningMan said:

National League clubs have voted to end their season immediately, with promotion and relegation “under careful consideration”. Seems nuts to vote before deciding on the outcome, but there you go.

so do the teams who are leading the leagues get given the accolade of champions, or have they been deemed null and void? 

ive no real issue if they cancel the league now and just declare us champions, so be it. Because the important thing (footballl wise) is us being deemed champions.

Shame of course that we cant exactly celebrate it though, but what can you do.....

I actually had my trip booked to Liverpool for the victory parade and all, but thats life. 

• Upvote 1

Buckle up.

Premier League clubs are reportedly still discussing the possibility of cancelling the season amid concerns over the feasibility of a return to action.

The season is currently suspended indefinitely due to the coronavirus pandemic and there is not yet a plan in place for when or if the campaign will be able to resume.

All 20 Premier League clubs had reaffirmed their intentions to complete the season when it is 'safe and appropriate' last week during a meeting but are now considering a U-turn.

According to The Guardian, clubs are worried there will be too many hurdles to overcome even if matches are played behind closed doors.

They claim the main fear from clubs is the safety of playing a full contact sport while there remains a risk of contracting Covid-19.

Clubs were told last week that games would only resume once sufficient testing could be provided for players and staff, though July is thought to have already been earmarked for a possible return.

Managers across the top flight are said to have held talks with players about plans to get back to the training pitch by May 9.

Club doctors are also drawing up provisional medical plans with the league to minimise the risk of infection and ensure a safe return to training for players.

However, it is not yet clear how much testing will be required for players while frontline workers in the NHS and other public services are not currently getting the testing they have been publicly calling for. 

In Spain, a player in the second division has said he will refuse to play when the season restarts due to concerns over his welfare and fears of having to quarantine away from his family.

The Guardian have reported that one Premier League club has also raised a similar issue of what would happen should a player refuse to play on health grounds.

The Premier League are set to discuss all of the club's concerns in a meeting on Friday, May 1 in a bid to reach a conclusion on the current season.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8246373/Premier-League-clubs-talks-CANCELLING-season-despite-agreeing-finish-it.html

The Premier League is considering making some behind-closed-doors fixtures available free-to-air when the season restarts, the culture secretary has said.

Oliver Dowden has said he had been having "productive talks" with governing bodies from across British sport on restarting following the coronavirus shutdown.

2 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Buckle up.

Premier League clubs are reportedly still discussing the possibility of cancelling the season amid concerns over the feasibility of a return to action.

The season is currently suspended indefinitely due to the coronavirus pandemic and there is not yet a plan in place for when or if the campaign will be able to resume.

All 20 Premier League clubs had reaffirmed their intentions to complete the season when it is 'safe and appropriate' last week during a meeting but are now considering a U-turn.

According to The Guardian, clubs are worried there will be too many hurdles to overcome even if matches are played behind closed doors.

They claim the main fear from clubs is the safety of playing a full contact sport while there remains a risk of contracting Covid-19.

Clubs were told last week that games would only resume once sufficient testing could be provided for players and staff, though July is thought to have already been earmarked for a possible return.

Managers across the top flight are said to have held talks with players about plans to get back to the training pitch by May 9.

Club doctors are also drawing up provisional medical plans with the league to minimise the risk of infection and ensure a safe return to training for players.

However, it is not yet clear how much testing will be required for players while frontline workers in the NHS and other public services are not currently getting the testing they have been publicly calling for. 

In Spain, a player in the second division has said he will refuse to play when the season restarts due to concerns over his welfare and fears of having to quarantine away from his family.

The Guardian have reported that one Premier League club has also raised a similar issue of what would happen should a player refuse to play on health grounds.

The Premier League are set to discuss all of the club's concerns in a meeting on Friday, May 1 in a bid to reach a conclusion on the current season.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8246373/Premier-League-clubs-talks-CANCELLING-season-despite-agreeing-finish-it.html

Yet another article with no quotes or no clubs actually named from a “journalist”with too much time on his hands .

Then next week the PL will have another meeting saying the league will be completed and rinse and repeat .

A vaccine might not be available for 18 months if lucky so I guess a lot of clubs are going to be out of business by then 

1 minute ago, Stickman said:

Yet another article with no quotes or no clubs actually named from a journalist with too much time on his hands .

Then next week the PL will have another meeting saying the league will be completed and rinse and repeat .

A vaccine might not be available for 18 months if lucky so I guess a lot of clubs are going to be out of business by then 

Yep, Brighton chairman confirmed that no club raised the possibility of cancelling the season at last weeks meeting, now all of a sudden certain clubs are considering a u turn.

They claim the main fear from clubs is the safety of playing a full contact sport while there remains a risk of contracting Covid-19 which is basically what that cunt Brady said in her scum column.

Are the same 'clubs' happy to forgo football then until a vaccine is ready in probably 12-18 mths which writes off next season aswell? 

I highly doubt it! 

1 hour ago, Stickman said:

Yet another article with no quotes or no clubs actually named from a “journalist”with too much time on his hands .

Not quite. Click the Guardian link, it does quote albeit moyes and west ham. Yes, I know it's whu and their position is pretty clear. Journos do have off the record discussions with club contacts so I wouldnt rush to the no quotes etc, etc.

I guess it depends whether you think the guardian is a bullshitter paper.

I guess the crucial point will be 1 May's meeting and it's outcome.

22 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I think the public has been prepared to not expect sport this calendar year.

To be honest deep down as much as I’d like for us to win it on the pitch even behind closed doors I’m resigning myself to the fact there won’t be any football for a long time.

Especially when you read the link... 

I just want us to rightly be awarded the title then I can relax .

Bursting the Bubble...Why Sports Aren't Coming Back Soon

https://www.si.com/.amp/mlb/2020/04/10/sports-arent-coming-back-soon?__twitter_impression=true

Perhaps the fairest thing would be to just finish the season. Leave everything as it stands but no relegation - apart from West Ham. It's going to be hard enough to get a regular 20 team premier league season played next year, let alone one that would be expanded if they honoured promotions and had no relegation. I'm sure all their complaints about ending the season are from a purely humanitarian perspective and all they care about is the greater good, so in an act of pure altruism they'll be more than happy to make things a bit easier and give up their premier league place.