You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

I don’t think there’s a chance the club will allow the void thing come to pass, particularly given precedent set in Belgium and Scotland. We’re too big an entity, the biggest and best team in the league they are not going to be allowed pry this from our hands. I’d genuinely want the club to refuse to compete in future leagues if they do.

2 minutes ago, LFC 6 Times said:

I don’t think there’s a chance the club will allow the void thing come to pass, particularly given precedent set in Belgium and Scotland. We’re too big an entity, the biggest and best team in the league they are not going to be allowed pry this from our hands. I’d genuinely want the club to refuse to compete in future leagues if they do.

Agreed. People underestimate the consequence of pissing off the only English club close to as marketable as Man Utd. Beyond that, I think there’s a reason that voiding seems to be further down the agenda than even ending the season now, and that’s because more clubs stand to lose out in one way or another if you stay it never happened. Sky & BT apparently won’t ask for money back in the event of a curtailed season, but a voided one would be a different matter. 

Then there’s UEFA, who are willing to push things back. If major leagues are fairly unified in opting to play or curtail rather than void, it might not be as simple for one that goes the other way to try and appoint the previous season’s teams to the European competitions. It might be that the Premier League, for example, have to go without Champions & Europa League football next time around and ultimately accept losing a slot in the former with its heavily diminished coefficient.

Then you have a question of trust. It would take a long time for attendances and investment in the game recover if a precedent of pointlessness is set. This could well come back for another round. Another pandemic could ensue. There will be an unshakeable cautiousness that will do irreparable harm to the idea that big games are consequential - every match should be treated like a friendly until the last game of the respective competitions has ended.

25 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

If there’s another wave similar to this one and no vaccine available, the only option will be a much more substantial lockdown, not the piss-weak compromise we have now.

I do not think next season will begin until they have an effective treatment of some kind -- that may not be a vaccine, it could be a "cocktail" similar to HIV treatment.

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

I do not think next season will begin until they have an effective treatment of some kind -- that may not be a vaccine, it could be a "cocktail" similar to HIV treatment.

When Tom met Big Pharma...

rs_1024x759-131121205102-1024.Tom-Cruise-Cocktail-ms.112113.jpg

16 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

Out of curiosity, is the Premier league the only big league in Europe where voiding it is even being mentioned? 

It's the only one with Liverpool guaranteed to win the league and we cant have that now so best void it to be sure. 

10 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Its the only one with Everton in so I expect so. 

This is the thing. 

Serie A are looking into getting back to training early next month, the German teams are training again I believe. I suspect the Spanish will be next month for training also. 

But for some reason in England, everybody, besides Liverpool fans want the season to be deemed null and void 

Hmmmmm

5 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

This is the thing. 

Serie A are looking into getting back to training early next month, the German teams are training again I believe. I suspect the Spanish will be next month for training also. 

But for some reason in England, everybody, besides Liverpool fans want the season to be deemed null and void 

Hmmmmm

Theres no such thing as sportsmanship in English football anymore. 

Liverpool seem to be the pariah of English football. 

11 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

This is the thing. 

Hmmmmm

Dey ate uz coz they aint uz 

11 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

The liability issue will be off the charts. Imagine someone gets infected or worse.

Are the individual clubs liable for all their players? Is the league liable for the players as a whole?

Why is a physically fit footballer in his twenties/ thirties (who will have been tested and is in proximity to other tested players)  getting the virus more significant than e,g. a supermarket worker? When the time is right they need to get on with their jobs in the same way that millions of other people will be expected to when the lockdown is eased. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, aws said:

Why is a physically fit footballer in his twenties/ thirties (who will have been tested and is in proximity to other tested players)  getting the virus more significant than e,g. a supermarket worker? When the time is right they need to get on with their jobs in the same way that millions of other people will be expected to when the lockdown is eased. 

I have a feeling you will be seeing PLENTY of workplace lawsuits as this shakes out.

15 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Isn’t England supposed to be a country of fair play that doesn’t like cheats? Then why are so many football supporters and former players so in favour of cheating us out of winning a league that nobody could argue we don’t deserve to win?

Because we don't deserve to be handed the title when people are dying. 

25 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I have a feeling you will be seeing PLENTY of workplace lawsuits as this shakes out.

Maybe. But I doubt that any employee in the country will be more protected, safeguarded and mollycoddled by his employer than a Premiership footballer. 

2 minutes ago, aws said:

Maybe. But I doubt that any employee in the country will be more protected, safeguarded and mollycoddled by his employer than a Premiership footballer. 

There's an argument that as role models they should be held to a higher standard of behaviour.  Hey, if the Premier League is back on why can't I have a kickabout in the park?  Before you know it everyone is infected. 

Most fans didn’t want Man Utd to win it in 92 or 93 because they thought they were entitled and would be unbearable. It’s the same for us at the moment. It’s also plain jealousy. The rest is just noise from mainly cowards on social media who wouldn’t have the guts to say any of it to your face.

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, aws said:

Well, agreed, but the player has never had liability - who does?

In the states there are health workers being fired because they refuse to work without proper protection. That will, and should,  end up in court.