You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

1 hour ago, Code said:

In Norway we are in lockdown at the moment, even the pubs have closed.

Same here in Denmark, and have been for a few days now. People are going crazy in the shops. Yesterday was the biggest trade day for supermarkets in the entire history. Complete bonckers idiots all supermarkets will and have steady supllies of groceries, but retards have gone into full post nuclear war mode. It's like an episode of the walking dead here.

1 hour ago, Pistonbroke said:

We're definitely heading for a temporary suspension, how long for will remain to be seen. It won't be cancelled, all 20 clubs have to agree on any measures and they just won't let a total cancellation happen. It's definitely going to be rather quiet on the sporting front for the next 2-4 weeks, maybe's a lot longer. 

Just finish the season as and when, it should be next season that is cancelled/shortened. It's the only thing that makes sense, plus I'm not only saying that because of the position our club finds itself. 

Why are you so sure? I'm fairly certain that given the choice, the majority of clubs would just vote to cancel the season. 

1 minute ago, Baltar said:

Why are you so sure? I'm fairly certain that given the choice, the majority of clubs would just vote to cancel the season. 

As I said in a post above, they won't be so happy to hand back all the money they made for a season that will be 'void'.

1 minute ago, dave u said:

Well I'd be demanding my season ticket money back, and I'm sure it would be the same for fans throughout the country.

The TV companies would have a strong case for a refund too, especially if their customers are demanding refunds.

Surely there will be ‘act of God’ clauses in all this stuff. I guess a global virus would be classed as that. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Surely there will be ‘act of God’ clauses in all this stuff. I guess a global virus would be classed as that. 

There may well be although I havent looked at my seassie's T&Cs. I wouldnt like to sue Liverpool FC but Id bemore than happy to sue the PL and \ or any other PL club that voted to void the season.

As Dave has said and Ive said previously, there's just too much riding on this. Despite the seriousness, it's not like there is a World War like the last time the leagues were voided. Even then, the season was only a month old so nothing like now.

Voiding the season will trickle down through the whole of the English pyramid not to mention other countries. If the PL is suspended, Im ok with that but it has to re start and be decided.

Phil Babb just made a good point that if the season is suspended and re starts later, it will make it easier for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar and the PL season to run smoother than currently planned.

2 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

There may well be although I havent looked at my seassie's T&Cs. I wouldnt like to sue Liverpool FC but Id bemore than happy to sue the PL and \ or any other PL club that voted to void the season.

As Dave has said and Ive said previously, there's just too much riding on this. Despite the seriousness, it's not like there is a World War like the last time the leagues were voided. Even then, the season was only a month old so nothing like now.

Voiding the season will trickle down through the whole of the English pyramid not to mention other countries. If the PL is suspended, Im ok with that but it has to re start and be decided.

Voiding the season now would be absolutely ridiculous and nothing but a biased shot at Liverpool. If we were 1 point ahead, you could make the argument that there was no clear winner. But we are on track for the most dominant league win in history. Then there’s what they do with relegation and promotion. Just wait a while. People shouldn’t underestimate the potential seriousness of this virus and it’s impact on people but I see no logic in the first step being to void an entire season because of this. 

• Upvote 2

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-english-football-league-fixtures-to-be-suspended-until-4-april-11956889

The English Football League is to suspend all fixtures until 4 April, Sky News understands.

It comes as Premier League chiefs meet to discuss the top division's response to the coronavirus outbreak, as Arsenal head coach Mikel Arteta and Chelsea star Callum Hudson-Odoi were diagnosed with COVID-19.

More follows...

The relegation/promotion and Champions League places will ensure that they finish the season. Colossal money at stake there.

The deferral of the Euros should make up the required time in this regard, even if 4th April is deemed too soon to re-commence.

4 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Voiding the season now would be absolutely ridiculous and nothing but a biased shot at Liverpool. If we were 1 point ahead, you could make the argument that there was no clear winner. But we are on track for the most dominant league win in history. Then there’s what they do with relegation and promotion. Just wait a while. People shouldn’t underestimate the potential seriousness of this virus and it’s impact on people but I see no logic in the first step being to void an entire season because of this. 

Yep. I think the case for refunds would be strong - even cancelling remaining fixtures is and drawing straws for said games or whatever would be a reasonably pragmatic solution. Saying that the thing(s) you paid for never really happened and we’re utterly pointless is quite another; if the season didn’t exist, neither did the money you spent on it.

4 minutes ago, Red House said:

It will obviously only be postponed initially, but even if extended to the summer, the season will probably have to finish before the 30th of June. Players and staff contracts typically on that date, so it will be problematic to extend it beyond that.

I don’t really get why so much is being made of the contract situation; some players will be happy to play on, especially for a bonus, others won’t so you select someone else, even if that means going into academy squads.

If this was happening half way through the season I could see the argument for voiding the season - There's 9 games left though - after a suspension of matches - and if they play a couple of matches a week behind closed doors the season can get completed very quickly. 

1 minute ago, Mark M said:

If this was happening half way through the season I could see the argument for voiding the season - There's 9 games left though - after a suspension of matches - and if they play a couple of matches a week behind closed doors the season can get completed very quickly. 

At a rate of two games s week - it would only take a month to conclude the season . No way will it be null and void .

Not a chance