You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

53 minutes ago, Mark M said:

Would I be right in saying theres a possibility VVD and Fabinho could be back for the weekend if the PCR tests come back negative ?

It sounded from Klopp it might possibly be a case of a false positive from them. 

It's possible. It will depend on the more accurate PCR test.

27 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Habe they actually tested positive? I got the impression maybe they isolated because they had symptoms. 

I'd say tested but only the initial lateral flow test given language used here:

Liverpool are still awaiting confirmation of the suspected positive COVID-19 tests of Fabinho, Curtis Jones and Virgil van Dijk.

The trio missed Thursday evening’s 3-1 victory over Newcastle United at Anfield due to isolation.

Jürgen Klopp told his pre-Tottenham Hotspur press conference: “No, it’s not confirmed yet. Its an ongoing process, let me say it like this, but they are not there. They are fine apart from that.

“In this moment, nobody else [is] positive but it’s pretty early still and the players come a bit later, so we will see.”

• Upvote 1

Problem with us getting this game postponed would be Spurs pushing for the fixture played in the off week in jan and us turning up minus the African players. Cant see us getting a decet reult in terms of a date for any rearranged fixture. It'll be more games in a hetic January when we are missing some of our best players and playing with a short handed squad

Another thing to consider too is the total number of unavailable players. 

Suppose Matip plays for Cameroon, and joins Mo, Sadio and Naby at AFCON. Then we get a couple of positive cases within the squad. 

Does having 6 forced absences in total count the same way 6 positive cases would in terms of postponement etc? 

Get as many played now as possible. 

1 minute ago, A_S said:

Suppose Matip plays for Cameroon, and joins Mo, Sadio and Naby at AFCON. Then we get a couple of positive cases within the squad. 

Does having 6 forced absences in total count the same way 6 positive cases would in terms of postponement etc? 

Well leicester used the excuse of '9 covid cases and other injuries' to eventually get their game called off. But the PL rules seem vague because the PL originally said that game was on and only changed their minds at the last minute.

And that's the issue, the PL saying and doing one thing and maybe forcing one club to play while giving a postponement to another.

48 minutes ago, A_S said:

Matip has confirmed he is not going to play for Cameroon again

Will we need to justify to the league that we cannot raise a side. As it stands, even without the positive players we can raise a side. 

The issue here is, this affects the integrity of the competition. Also having to play 26th and 28th, most clubs are put under more strain. 

Playing similar sides which is a big injury risk. Players positive and isolating adds to that. 

You can be sure we'll get shafted and spurs will definately push to play. 

As daft as it sounds, we'd be better off having a raft of positive tests to ensure postponements. 

Just say everyone is positive. That’s what most clubs seem to be doing - I’m not sure anyone truly couldn’t field a side. Title is gone if we fall 4 pts behind City at this stage of the season - you either break their spirit by getting in front and staying there as we did in 19/20, or they, as the ultimate flat track bullies, win the league.

I heard the Mo rumour is bogus but Hendo might have a positive test.

Apparently, Mo was at an event with Jurgen today that Hendo was meant to be at. That seems to be where the rumours came from.

To be fair, decent chance we lose a few more to covid in coming days. We'll be lucky if we don't.

Because Spurs haven't been transparent around who has it, which I guess is their right, we don't have a clue who we are facing on Sunday. I actually think even in the worst case scenario we were without 3-4 first teamers, we might be better served going ahead with it. Undoubtedly, they would reschedule it for some mad week that doesn't suit us. Who knows if the AFCON goes ahead, but fair chance we would end up playing in January with a few missing anyway.

1 hour ago, chrisbonnie said:

I think I'm more pissed off that salah will have contracted it twice. 

So much for reinfection is few and far between

With omicron (and future mutations) reinfections will inevitably become more common.

Governments across the world had the opportunity to nip this in the bud last year, but they’re full of short termist corporatist wankers, so of course they failed miserably. Plenty of the fuckers would be pushing for minimal / no restrictions if a super strain of Ebola was doing the rounds.

• Upvote 3

Like I said, I was majorly surprised we didnt have any covid positive tests the day after Villa yet they said a large umber of their players tested positive on the Sunday and closed their training ground.

But the PL wants to push on and Im guessing Sky and BT will push for the games they want to transmit live to go ahead.

14 hours ago, Red_or_Dead said:

Yeap, pretty sure he retired from international football not long after joining us.

I think there's been some talk since eto'o became president of their FA, he might change his mind - but klopp said earlier in the week he's not going to afcon. 

12 hours ago, chrisbonnie said:

I think I'm more pissed off that salah will have contracted it twice. 

So much for reinfection is few and far between

From all the bits I've seen, I don't think vaccine or previous infection is helping with infection from Omicron. It helps with outcomes, but not infection it seems.