You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

1 hour ago, Bruce Spanner said:

There's little chnace the Spurs game goes ahead, maybe sans fans.

London currently looks like a Hogarth painting where the Gin has been substituted with hand sanitiser and ivermectin.

If that's the case, why haven't they called it off yet?

All the other London Premier League games are off?

1 hour ago, MegadriveMan said:

If that's the case, why haven't they called it off yet?

All the other London Premier League games are off?

Tottenham already loads of games behind....no chance this one gets called off IMO and Tottenham will want to play/now have a full team to choose from.

Unless we suddenly don't have enough players this is going ahead IMO...even if we are weakened - saw it coming, Tottenham game last night was only called off because 'Leicester couldn't put a side out'

Meanwhile Manchester City cancelled manager Pep Guardiola's press conference to look ahead to his side's trip to Newcastle United.

The City boss was due to speak to the media on Friday (12:30 GMT) to preview Sunday's game.

However, Guardiola returned an inconclusive coronavirus test and is now waiting for the results of a follow-up PCR test.

13 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

In terms of the three-way title race, it's a huge advantage for a side that can play, win and bank three points when the games of the others are postponed. Same applies at the other end of the table. 

Id rather have the 3 points in the bag. What concerns me though is this time of year is always tough on teams. Spurs have had a 10 day break and yes, they may be rusty on Sunday. But they might not and should be fresher than us.

Obviously the postponed games have to be fitted in somewhere but you just know, we'll get shafted if any of our opponents have the game re arranged and they'll end up in a Champions League week or very quickly after.

1 minute ago, dockers_strike said:

Id rather have the 3 points in the bag. What concerns me though is this time of year is always tough on teams. Spurs have had a 10 day break and yes, they may be rusty on Sunday. But they might not and should be fresher than us.

Obviously the postponed games have to be fitted in somewhere but you just know, we'll get shafted if any of our opponents have the game re arranged and they'll end up in a Champions League week or very quickly after.

As it stands, it looks like ours, City's and Chelsea's games are all going ahead on Sunday.

Hard to know what to make of ourselves and Spurs. Will we be missing more than last night's three as a result of new positives? Will Spurs have any players missing due to positive tests? Probably nothing to do with COVID, but I thought it was odd that we named two 'keepers on the bench last night rather than giving one of the younger outfield lads a spot. 

• Upvote 1

Liverpool are still awaiting confirmation of the suspected positive COVID-19 tests of Fabinho, Curtis Jones and Virgil van Dijk.

The trio missed Thursday evening’s 3-1 victory over Newcastle United at Anfield due to isolation.

Jürgen Klopp told his pre-Tottenham Hotspur press conference: “No, it’s not confirmed yet. Its an ongoing process, let me say it like this, but they are not there. They are fine apart from that.

“In this moment, nobody else [is] positive but it’s pretty early still and the players come a bit later, so we will see.”

26 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

As it stands, it looks like ours, City's and Chelsea's games are all going ahead on Sunday.

Hard to know what to make of ourselves and Spurs. Will we be missing more than last night's three as a result of new positives? Will Spurs have any players missing due to positive tests? Probably nothing to do with COVID, but I thought it was odd that we named two 'keepers on the bench last night rather than giving one of the younger outfield lads a spot. 

Yeah wouldnt disagree with any of that.

22 hours ago, an tha said:

Bet your life we will have about 7 cases by weekend but be forced to play as Tottenham have now had 2 called off already...and of course they'll have most of theirs available again.

PL need to be very careful here, integrity of league is at stake

I don't think Klopp sees asking for postponements as an advantage, so I reckon unless we are so bad it needs a training ground shutdown, we will go ahead. 

22 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Name the players at the clubs who have it and prove it to the Premier league. I bet united just want more training ground time with ralf the bellend. If united can have two games cancelled they can't be denying others the same grace if needed.

i wonder if the outbreak is not bad for them. klopp even mentioned it last night

1 hour ago, an tha said:

Meanwhile Manchester City cancelled manager Pep Guardiola's press conference to look ahead to his side's trip to Newcastle United.

The City boss was due to speak to the media on Friday (12:30 GMT) to preview Sunday's game.

However, Guardiola returned an inconclusive coronavirus test and is now waiting for the results of a follow-up PCR test.

apparently he caught it fucking off back to spain to sit in some thing to mark aguero retiring. 

19 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I don't think Klopp sees asking for postponements as an advantage, so I reckon unless we are so bad it needs a training ground shutdown, we will go ahead. 

i wonder if the outbreak is not bad for them. klopp even mentioned it last night

apparently he caught it fucking off back to spain to sit in some thing to mark aguero retiring. 

Problem is for me potentially going and playing a full strength Tottenham team with say 3 or 4 missing....just does not seem right.

But i have no doubt as i have said in other posts that the game will go ahead unless we suddenly have so many we can't put a team out.

There needs to be clarity and transparancy over who has who missing too IMO.

2 minutes ago, an tha said:

Problem is for me potentially going and playing a full strength Tottenham team with say 3 or 4 missing....just does not seem right.

But i have no doubt as i have said in other posts that the game will go ahead unless we suddenly have so many we can't put a team out.

There are pros and cons to playing the game, for one Harry Kane looks like a shadow of himself right now, he could be on fire for a rearranged game, the whole team will also be more intuned with Conte. Spurs travelled to bits Burnley and Leicester so it's not like they have had time for a mini preseason. All things considered it's best to get the game played.

23 minutes ago, No2 said:

There are pros and cons to playing the game, for one Harry Kane looks like a shadow of himself right now, he could be on fire for a rearranged game, the whole team will also be more intuned with Conte. Spurs travelled to bits Burnley and Leicester so it's not like they have had time for a mini preseason. All things considered it's best to get the game played.

Depends on how many we are missing IMO.

The two/three we potentially know of whilst far from ideal especially given in VVD and Fabinho's cases how important they are is probably manageable, any more and for me it puts us in big danger of losing there.

Gonna be an interesting 48 hours seeing what situation is.

33 minutes ago, No2 said:

Didnt it happen with City last season  they were hit and miss then had this 3 week break and went on an amazing run. I dont want us to play spurs without VVD and Fabinho because of covid when other teams are getting breaks because shit players who don't start have it.

1 minute ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Didnt it happen with City last season  they were hit and miss then had this 3 week break and went on an amazing run. I dont want us to play spurs without VVD and Fabinho because of covid when other teams are getting breaks because shit players who don't start have it.

Spurs are not City and City only missed one game, its was just conveniently the middle game that turns 3 games in 6 days into 2 in 6 days.

How about they postpone this and stick it in 3 days before a CL quarter final or in the middle of the AFCON? We are in great nick right now, bring them on I say.

12 minutes ago, Mark M said:

Would I be right in saying theres a possibility VVD and Fabinho could be back for the weekend if the PCR tests come back negative ?

It sounded from Klopp it might possibly be a case of a false positive from them. 

Seems really unlikely though. False negatives are far more common than false positives.

57 minutes ago, an tha said:

There deffo needs to be transparency. I don't really understand how the decision can seem to be in the hands of whoever picks up the phone at PL HQ. 

9 minutes ago, No2 said:

Spurs are not City and City only missed one game, its was just conveniently the middle game that turns 3 games in 6 days into 2 in 6 days.

How about they postpone this and stick it in 3 days before a CL quarter final or in the middle of the AFCON? We are in great nick right now, bring them on I say.

It's looking increasingly likely they will use the "mid season break", which I think is during afcon. Although spurs have 3 games to catch up already and they can't play them all then. 

2 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

There deffo needs to be transparency. I don't really understand how the decision can seem to be in the hands of whoever picks up the phone at PL HQ. 

It's looking increasingly likely they will use the "mid season break", which I think is during afcon. Although spurs have 3 games to catch up already and they can't play them all then. 

My point was we're in good shape, we have our front 4 available to play on Sunday, we have 3 top quality CB's ready to go and the midfield options are good. Just a few weeks back we were down to our last midfielder and had to play Ox up front on Saturday. There is a fair chance when the game is rearranged we won't look so healthy and they could be in a better place.

17 minutes ago, No2 said:

My point was we're in good shape, we have our front 4 available to play on Sunday, we have 3 top quality CB's ready to go and the midfield options are good. Just a few weeks back we were down to our last midfielder and had to play Ox up front on Saturday. There is a fair chance when the game is rearranged we won't look so healthy and they could be in a better place.

Yeah, I see that. I think klopp probably see it like that too. And he knows even if we have everyone fit, with the fixture congestion we might only get a 48 hour turn around. 

• Upvote 1