You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

9 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

King instead of Campbell?

Not for me.

I typed the defence out incorrectly in my previous post, Perryman should be right-back, so Bale could play left-back.

Striking the correct balance in midfield and with the forwards is still a problem though.

You'd need MacKay to add a bit of steel and you can't leave Blanchflower, Hoddle or Gascogne out so that gives you Lineker and Greaves up front in a 4-4-2.  

4 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Yeah, Clemence was boss but Jennings was better, in my opinion.

Jennings was brilliant at Anfield - looked the best keeper I've ever seen. But I doubt I saw him more than a handful of times in other games so I'm always reluctant to put him above Clemence. 

10 minutes ago, aws said:

You'd need MacKay to add a bit of steel and you can't leave Blanchflower, Hoddle or Gascogne out so that gives you Lineker and Greaves up front in a 4-4-2.  

Yeah, Mackay and Blanchflower definitely have to be in there. The problem is, I’m not sure that you can accommodate both Hoddle and Gascoigne in that midfield.

I reckon Greaves and Kane would be a better pairing than Greaves and Lineker.

1 minute ago, Tony Moanero said:

Yeah, Mackay and Blanchflower definitely have to be in there. The problem is, I’m  not sure that you can accommodate both Hoddle and Gascoigne in that midfield.

I reckon Greaves and Kane would be a better pairing than Greaves and Lineker.

I'm not sure Kane thrives in a team not built around him. Lineker could be a selfish twat but not to Kane's extent. 

4 minutes ago, aws said:

Jennings was brilliant at Anfield - looked the best keeper I've ever seen. But I doubt I saw him more than a handful of times in other games so I'm always reluctant to put him above Clemence. 

In terms of a Spurs XI, I’d definitely have Jennings ahead of Clemence. Although Clemence was very good for Spurs, his best days were at Liverpool.

1 minute ago, Tony Moanero said:

In terms of a Spurs XI, I’d definitely have Jennings ahead of Clemence. Although Clemence was very good for Spurs, his best days were at Liverpool.

Agree completely.  I was just talking about Clemence as our keeper.  

• Upvote 1

Don't wanna be a downer but got to ask ;  Does anyone know what the situation is if this season gets stopped again?  Say we get the 6 points needed is it safe to celebrate fully? Or is there still a chance it could be stopped then null and voided? 

18 minutes ago, Moo said:

Don't wanna be a downer but got to ask ;  Does anyone know what the situation is if this season gets stopped again?  Say we get the 6 points needed is it safe to celebrate fully? Or is there still a chance it could be stopped then null and voided? 

We're not going to get any points, so nothing to celebrate! Happy to help.

48 minutes ago, Moo said:

It wont get stopped again unless there a nuclear war.  In any event, I believe the PL and clubs decided to only consider what to do if it is stopped if that actually happens.

17 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

It wont get stopped again unless there a nuclear war.  In any event, I believe the PL and clubs decided to only consider what to do if it is stopped if that actually happens.

I think from a public health point of view it won't get stopped, but what if multiple players or teams start testing positive? 

3 minutes ago, Moo said:

I think from a public health point of view it won't get stopped, but what if multiple players or teams start testing positive? 

The PL clubs all agreed that while they each had a minimum 15 players available, the games would go on. Given infection rates in the wider public are thankfully falling and only the odd 1 or 2 players have tested positive in each round of near 1200 tests, it would need something extraordinary for a whole club to lose 10 players.

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

The PL clubs all agreed that while they each had a minimum 15 players available, the games would go on. Given infection rates in the wider public are thankfully falling and only the odd 1 or 2 players have tested positive in each round of near 1200 tests, it would need something extraordinary for a whole club to lose 10 players.

I'm sure you're right.  My concern though is that unlike the general public the players are in very close contact no doubt expectorating in each others direction (and taking to each other with their hands touching their face! ).  I think they're in a much more potentially contagious environment than the general public, but of course in much better health, with more support and more test and tracing. I'm not saying they're at greater risk of being seriously affected but perhaps at greater risk of contracting, a bit like kids going back to school. 

7 minutes ago, Moo said:

I'm sure you're right.  My concern though is that unlike the general public the players are in very close contact no doubt expectorating in each others direction (and taking to each other with their hands touching their face! ).  I think they're in a much more potentially contagious environment than the general public, but of course in much better health, with more support and more test and tracing. I'm not saying they're at greater risk of being seriously affected but perhaps at greater risk of contracting, a bit like kids going back to school. 

I would say they are at a far lesser risk -- they are tested daily unlike schoolkids or anyone else in the general population.

33 minutes ago, Moo said:

Is that official? 

No. The PL have not said exactly how they'd finalise positions but they have said there will be a final table so no chance of a void season. What they've left open is a bit of wriggle room as to whether there'll be relegations if the Championship doesn't finish either. 

13 minutes ago, aws said:

No. The PL have not said exactly how they'd finalise positions but they have said there will be a final table so no chance of a void season. What they've left open is a bit of wriggle room as to whether there'll be relegations if the Championship doesn't finish either. 

Ah okay so if we get the 6 points we can safely celebrate, that'll do me.