You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

5 hours ago, The Gaul said:

Arsenal are absolutely nobody outside of this country or countries where it's all about the premier league. 

Arsenal are and will remain the 3rd biggest club in England, they are the equivalent of Atletico Madrid or Inter Milan. City and Chelsea are phase clubs, they will fuck off back to where they came from and Arsenal will rise again. You also seem to have missed the point that Henry's Arsenal where better than Rooney's Man Utd.

6 hours ago, No2 said:

Arsenal are and will remain the 3rd biggest club in England, they are the equivalent of Atletico Madrid or Inter Milan. City and Chelsea are phase clubs, they will fuck off back to where they came from and Arsenal will rise again. You also seem to have missed the point that Henry's Arsenal where better than Rooney's Man Utd.

Rooney played in some very good teams, as did Henry at arsenal. I personally don't think that matters and is not relevant to the discussion. My view is Rooney had a tremendous career as he's won loads of course, but he's beat history too by being leading scorer at man united and England - so he's achieved more than all those before him. It's an incredible accomplishment. 

On 18/06/2020 at 22:13, Tony Moanero said:

Wayne Rooney had an excellent career. However, despite being Manchester United’s record goalscorer, he doesn’t get in their all-time XI.

PL era:

Schmeichel

Neville

Ferdinand

Vidic

Evra

Keane

Scholes

Beckham

Ronaldo

Rooney

Van Nistelrooy 

Van Persie is probably a more talented footballer than his compatriot, but Ruud was an absolute goal machine. I hated playing against the cunt.

21 minutes ago, aRdja said:

PL era:

Schmeichel

Neville

Ferdinand

Vidic

Evra

Keane

Scholes

Beckham

Ronaldo

Rooney

Van Nistelrooy 

Van Persie is probably a more talented footballer than his compatriot, but Ruud was an absolute goal machine. I hated playing against the cunt.

I’d have Irwin over Evra. I did an all-time XI earlier in the thread.

Schmeichel

Neville Ferdinand Stam Irwin

Scholes Keane Giggs

Best Law Charlton

Ronaldo would have been a shoo-in had he stayed for a season or two more. On reflection, Stam probably didn’t play enough games for United to warrant inclusion.

All-time Arsenal XI

Jennings

O’Leary   Adams  

Anderson                              Cole

Vieira 

Brady                                    Pires

Bergkamp

Henry         van Persie

Pat Rice and Lee Dixon unlucky to miss out at right-back, same with Kenny Sansom at left-back. Campbell at centre-half, too.

50 minutes ago, aRdja said:

PL era:

Schmeichel

Neville

Ferdinand

Vidic

Evra

Keane

Scholes

Beckham

Ronaldo

Rooney

Van Nistelrooy 

Have to say I would have Irwin over Evra any day of the week. His nickname was 8 out of 10. Really outstanding player.

9 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

All-time Arsenal XI

Jennings

O’Leary   Adams  

Vieira 

Brady                                 Overmars 

Bergkamp

Henry         van Persie

Thought that was a new gimp XI when I saw my name on the teamsheet.

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, Tony Moanero said:

All-time Arsenal XI

Jennings

O’Leary   Adams  

Vieira 

Brady                                 Overmars 

Bergkamp

Henry         van Persie

Some team that. 

Jennings was one of the best keepers of all time. Cole was outstanding and Adams and O'Leary both top centre halves.

The midfield is unbelievable. Brady, Vieira, Bergkamp and Overmars is just a thing of beauty.

Henry is one of the top 5 players to play in this country imo and Van Persie was world class.

Regarding Rooney, he was world class for a sustained period. He wasn't in Henry's class but no shame in that. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Some team that. 

Jennings was one of the best keepers of all time. Cole was outstanding and Adams and O'Leary both top centre halves.

The midfield is unbelievable. Brady, Vieira, Bergkamp and Overmars is just a thing of beauty.

Henry is one of the top 5 players to play in this country imo and Van Persie was world class.

Regarding Rooney, he was world class for a sustained period. He wasn't in Henry's class but no shame in that. 

I decided to swap Overmars for Pires.

Just tried to do an all-time Spurs XI, but couldn’t come up with anything approaching a balanced side.

Jennings

Hughton/Knowles Campbell England Perryman

MacKay, Blanchflower, Hoddle, Gascoigne, Modric, Waddle.

Greaves, Lineker, Kane and Bale (if he had stayed for longer)

5 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Liverpool all-time XI

Clemence

Neal Van Dijk Hansen Hughes

Gerrard McDermott Souness Barnes

Dalglish 

Rush

Would happily swap McDermott for Molby. Steve Nicol very unlucky to miss out.

Same as mine except I'd play Cally instead of Terry Mac. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Just tried to do an all-time Spurs XI, but couldn’t come up with anything approaching a balanced side.

Jennings

Hughton/Knowles Campbell England Perryman

MacKay, Blanchflower, Hoddle, Gascoigne, Modric, Waddle.

Greaves, Lineker, Kane and Bale (if he had stayed for longer)

Ledley King? Move Bale to fullback

9 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Ledley King? Move Bale to fullback

King instead of Campbell?

Not for me.

I typed the defence out incorrectly in my previous post, Perryman should be right-back, so Bale could play left-back.

Striking the correct balance in midfield and with the forwards is still a problem though.