You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

As previously stated, I've made peace with the worst case scenario. 

But, there does seem to be quite a lot of City, United and Everton fans saying that "football doesn't matter now." I've been genuine in stating that I think it's a bit mad to continue with the league in the current climate. And I've said as I'm genuinely concerned for people's health. But, all these rival fans, pound to a pinch of shit, don't really care that much about the virus. Their primary concern is to stop us from winning the league. 

So if "football" doesn't matter, will it not matter next season too? Will it not matter if nobody gets relegated or promoted for a season? Will it not matter if the Premier League, if ending the season, do the morally right thing and hand us the title as we're 100/1 on to win it and it's practically certain to happen anyway? If football doesn't really matter, will this sudden disinterest and lack of passion for the game allow these fans to shrug off us being handed the title in any event? 

I'm not arsed. I'll still take it with a massive asterisk next to it. 

4 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

People are going to be pissed off when one of the greatest league runs ever and 6 points short of the first title in decades could end with a voided season that could've been postponed. Probably a bad time for calling people pissed off at that morons really.

Exactly. I'm worried about the virus of course but for fuck sake, the hysteria is not helping. 8 people have died out of around 67 million. People need to relax and gain some perspective. Fellow reds that are suggesting they will be a bit disappointed but fine with the season being voided must either be on a wind up or just plain crazy. Losing the title in these circumstances now would be soul destroying.

2 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

People are going to be pissed off when one of the greatest league runs ever and 6 points short of the first title in decades could end with a voided season that could've been postponed. Probably a bad time for calling people pissed off at that morons really.

I'm a little mad that @an tha (the moron in question, and he is a gigantic moron) is pissed at us possibly having a title voided. Some things are bigger than football. One of those things is health. Health is all we've got. It's literally the most important thing in the world. So a little perspective on that would be nice, although I do get the frustration as a fellow fan. 

But that's not my point. What I'm actually mad at, is people downplaying this disease. It is an unprecedented health crisis, and you've got people like an tha posting stats that are not in context and that show a lack of empathy for what is going on. These people, besides the actual plague, are a figurative plague at the moment and they need to be told they are stupid. 

The good thing is we are so far ahead, whatever happens everybody knows we won the league this season.

Do you honestly think our owners will just let them stop us winning it?

It would have been more worrying if we were 6 or 7 points ahead or a few points behind as then we could never confidently say we won it this season. Just show them the league table!

1 minute ago, Nelly-Torres said:

But, there does seem to be quite a lot of City, United and Everton fans saying that "football doesn't matter now." I've been genuine in stating that I think it's a bit mad to continue with the league in the current climate. And I've said as I'm genuinely concerned for people's health. But, all these rival fans, pound to a pinch of shit, don't really care that much about the virus. Their primary concern is to stop us from winning the league. 

So if "football" doesn't matter, will it not matter next season too? Will it not matter if nobody gets relegated or promoted for a season? Will it not matter if the Premier League, if ending the season, do the morally right thing and hand us the title as we're 100/1 on to win it and it's practically certain to happen anyway? If football doesn't really matter, will this sudden disinterest and lack of passion for the game allow these fans to shrug off us being handed the title in any event? 

I'm not arsed. I'll still take it with a massive asterisk next to it. 

If football doesnt matter to them then they wont care that we are given the league. But something tells me that they will object to that, even though football doesnt matter. 

• Upvote 1

The seasons will all complete in all the major league. Football can't start again without that happening. It's just a question of how and when, and nobody knows the answer clearly.

I think Euro 2020 will be postponed/cancelled, and the season will run later

Think a few are whipping up a frenzy over the league especially since the Government has said carry on.

UK Chief scientific adviser Sir Patrick Vallance said cancelling sporting events is not a "major way to tackle this epidemic". "Of course there is a risk," he said. "But on average one person infects two or three others.

"You therefore have a very low probability of infecting a large number of people in a stadium, or a rather higher probability of infecting people very close to you, and that means most of the transmission tends to takes place with friends and colleagues in close environments, not in the big environments.

"It is true that any cancellations of things can have some effect (but) if you then get a displacement activity, when everyone congregates somewhere else, you may have perversely an increased risk, particularly in an indoors environment.

"So it doesn't mean you should at some point make the decision for the resilience point that has been discussed, but this is not a major way to tackle this epidemic."

Relax, the season isnt getting voided. At worst it will be suspended.

1 minute ago, MegadriveMan said:

The good thing is we are so far ahead, whatever happens everybody knows we won the league this season.

Do you honestly think our owners will just let them stop us winning it?

It would have been more worrying if we were 6 or 7 points ahead or a few points behind as then we could never confidently say we won it this season. Just show them the league table!

Exactly... If we were 7 points clear and they were talking about voiding it, I'd be gutted obviously but I could understand it. This though is just unconscionable - we've won the league, we just might be unable to play the games. But there's absolutely no doubt that we've won it. I don't see how that can be just chalked off with, "Ah well, sorry". Void the league if you need to, but we need to be awarded the title. 

9 minutes ago, Anubis said:

While you’re at it, any chance you can self isolate from the forum for 14 days. Best to be safe, eh? Greater good and all. Thanks.

I could be in a hospital bed and I'd still be on here putting you in my back pocket, mate. Don't get it twisted. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

If we were awarded the title due to the massive lead we have it'd be great to laugh and the stupid twats up and down the country crying. Sick of them. Like I said, we're not some fucking oil club dominating the league, we're trying to win for the first time in decades and we're miles ahead with just 6 points needed, they can all fuck off with this stupidity.

Less than that probably and we’ve still got to play City. I think we’ve already won it.

• Upvote 1

Euro 2020 will get rescheduled because about 4 of the matches are in Italy and a couple are in Denmark which are both on lockdown. 

The Olympics will probably get put back a year too given that it is in Japan and China would have loads of athletes competing. They cant just say to Japan the Olympics are cancelled given the amount of money they have invested in the country in preparation for it.

8 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

But, there does seem to be quite a lot of City, United and Everton fans saying that "football doesn't matter now."

Yeah I don't believe for one fucking second that when it comes to this they're thinking about people's lives at all in many cases. Some of them will be in the pub moaning about how there's all this fuss over a fucking cold, then they'll be hammering away at the keyboard back at home talking about how it has to be cancelled for the sake of people's lives. Total dickheads.

1 minute ago, Red Phoenix said:

Yeah I don't believe for one fucking second that when it comes to this they're thinking about people's lives at all in many cases. Some of them will be in the pub moaning about how there's all this fuss over a fucking cold, then they'll be hammering away at the keybaord back at home talking about how it has to be cancelled for the sake of people's lives. Total dickheads.

Exactly. Getting hysterical about it in this forum is exactly what they want.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Baltar said:

Exactly. I'm worried about the virus of course but for fuck sake, the hysteria is not helping. 8 people have died out of around 67 million. People need to relax and gain some perspective. Fellow reds that are suggesting they will be a bit disappointed but fine with the season being voided must either be on a wind up or just plain crazy. Losing the title in these circumstances now would be soul destroying.

I'm concerned about the virus a lot, but if the players and staff are fine then I think it can be played behind closed doors. Now that Arsenal's manager has it and staff are isolating too we're almost definitely heading for it being postponed at least, but the idea of voiding seems crazy.

Of course we all have bias here, but it's such a gutter to think of it being voided when it could be carried on at a later date.