You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

3 hours ago, TK421 said:

I totally disagree.  They're perfectly entitled to voice their objections in whichever manner they deem appropriate.  Stifling the debate is not the answer - we need full, frank and honest discussions. That's what grown ups do and that's how we can make informed decisions.

Which part of it is a discussion? If he was joining a debate, I might agree. If he was saying this on the player calls, I agree, say what he wants. But baby mouthing to the press with the woe is me shite isn't discussion and imo completely lacks respect for the people taking risks every day. Nobody is offering an alternative point of view to call it debate, it's just crying. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

Which part of it is a discussion? If he was joining a debate, I might agree. If he was saying this on the player calls, I agree, say what he wants. But baby mouthing to the press with the woe is me shite isn't discussion and imo completely lacks respect for the people taking risks every day. Nobody is offering an alternative point of view to call it debate, it's just crying. 

It was from a podcast. 

15 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

It's one thing for someone like Deeney to say he doesn't want to play because his kid is at risk, but even then that's a personal issue and one particular case shouldn't infringe on what the Premier League wants to do in terms of its decision making. He can not play if he doesn't want to.

But Rose saying footballers are going to be lab rats? These motherfuckers really have no shred of self-awareness, it's unbelievable. 

6 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

I dont think any vaccine is every 100% successful. Loads of old codgers have flu injections every year yet some still get a does. Admittedly this virus isnt the flu and from what I read, it is more like the cold virus.

The people and players holding out on the belief that things will be ok once there is a vaccine might be waiting a long time. I think there's still no vaccine for SARS although that priority kind of went away when far fewer cases than expected came about.

I think it depends on the virus. For instance I think measles, you get the vaccine, you're protected. The thing with the flu virus as I understand it, it significantly mutates each year. That's not to say the original strain dies out, it's just to forks another variant. When you get the flu vaccine, it won't cover you for the new one that will come out that year, but it will protect you against the rest. 

3 hours ago, Dave D said:

Could be that we have just won football as a whole.

English Champions

World Champions

European Champions

Super Cup Champions

THE END

I'm waiting. 

IMG_20200520_141549.jpg

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, TK421 said:

It was from a podcast. 

Ok, so who was offering an alternative point of view? How did he respond to the idea that it's not just about Danny rose? How did he respond to the idea that people have been going to work every day to put food on his table, keep the lights on and as someone pointed out, toilet roll for his arse? How did he respond to the idea with Germany going back first, it doesn't really make premier league player lab rats, as actually they'll be benefitting greatly from others going before him? It seems odd that this sort of debate is not printed as it would make interesting reading. 

Danny rose is the type of cunt who'll let everyone go back to work, keep his industry going, then expect to walk directly to a club earning a king's ransom when this is all over. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

Ok, so who was offering an alternative point of view? How did he respond to the idea that it's not just about Danny rose? How did he respond to the idea that people have been going to work every day to put food on his table, keep the lights on and as someone pointed out, toilet roll for his arse? How did he respond to the idea with Germany going back first, it doesn't really make premier league player lab rats, as actually they'll be benefitting greatly from others going before him? It seems odd that this sort of debate is not printed as it would make interesting reading. 

Danny rose is the type of cunt who'll let everyone go back to work, keep his industry going, then expect to walk directly to a club earning a king's ransom when this is all over. 

I can't answer your questions, I didn't listen to the whole thing and I'm not Danny Rose.  I find the idea that he's responsible in any way for toilet roll stocks pretty funny, though. 

19 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

Spot on. 

40 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

It's one thing for someone like Deeney to say he doesn't want to play because his kid is at risk, but even then that's a personal issue and one particular case shouldn't infringe on what the Premier League wants to do in terms of its decision making. He can not play if he doesn't want to.

But Rose saying footballers are going to be lab rats? These motherfuckers really have no shred of self-awareness, it's unbelievable. 

I genuinely don't care if some footballers don't want to play, even if there seems no logical reason. But don't pay them and in rose's case it means he's out of work and he takes his chances not getting back in the game. They are rich guys and if they want to use their wealth to step away from life and go and get a Michael Jackson bubble to live in, that's up to them. But keep it to themselves. They don't need to talk about it. They don't need to rub the noses of those who've been going to work when it hasn't been safe to keep the world going while having no choice in the matter. Just step away. 

25 minutes ago, TK421 said:

I can't answer your questions, I didn't listen to the whole thing and I'm not Danny Rose.  I find the idea that he's responsible in any way for toilet roll stocks pretty funny, though. 

So if you can't answer my questions, you don't know if there was debate then? Which if there was no debate (which is how it appears from the reporting of said podcast), he's just a crying, selfish cunt. 

As for the toilet rolls, he's using them. He's benefitting from a working supply chain. That supply chain has worked as people have got up and gone to work right through this crisis at person risk. If they'd not done so, Danny rose (and many more of us) would have nothing to wipe our arses on, but that wouldn't matter so much as we'd have nothing to eat and shit out. You've brought me nothing to change my mind Danny rose is a cunt. 

• Upvote 1

Rose is moaning about the fact the PL have only worked out restart through phase I.  Questions about later phases have been met with we'll work it out when we get there. So, some, feel like lab rats.  To me that's down to the PL not Rose.  At the very least they could have come up with more re-assuring bullshit.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Barry Wom said:

I genuinely don't care if some footballers don't want to play, even if there seems no logical reason. But don't pay them and in rose's case it means he's out of work and he takes his chances not getting back in the game. They are rich guys and if they want to use their wealth to step away from life and go and get a Michael Jackson bubble to live in, that's up to them. But keep it to themselves. They don't need to talk about it. They don't need to rub the noses of those who've been going to work when it hasn't been safe to keep the world going while having no choice in the matter. Just step away. 

So if you can't answer my questions, you don't know if there was debate then? Which if there was no debate (which is how it appears from the reporting of said podcast), he's just a crying, selfish cunt. 

I'm assuming there was some sort of discussion because it was on a podcast, which typically involves some sort of to and fro between the host and their guests.  That's where the "lab rat" line came from. The tabloid press homed in on that phrase and got their headlines.  He didn't go mouthing off to the press in the manner you suggested. 

4 minutes ago, Rotpeter said:

Rose is moaning about the fact the PL have only worked out restart through phase I.  Questions about later phases have been met with we'll work it out when we get there. So, some, feel like lab rats.  To me that's down to the PL not Rose.  At the very least they could have come up with more re-assuring bullshit.

Exactly.  Troy Deeney asked for some basic reassurances in the captain's conference with the PL. He didn't get what he asked for so he made his decision.  It's absolutely reasonable behaviour. 

The "lab rat" headlines detract from what should be a sensible discussion about risk management, particularly with regard to BAME players. 

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

We should played Coronavirus XI during the winter break. We’d have beaten it and saved all this piss bollocking about. 

Scudamore’s 39th game against Coronavirus in Wuhan. 

We’d fucking snot it everywhere.

Guest Alex_K
12 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

Would rep - this is it. Everyone has a choice. Step out and forgo wages, or step in and take wages (and to be honest, be thankful you’ve got a job to step back in to, not least on the exact same wages. There will be millions - yes millions - of ordinary people who likely won’t have that luxury in the UK). The rabid cake and eat it mentality at this point betrays the mind of a child. 

13 minutes ago, Rotpeter said:

Is that really a problem as long as they're as safe as can be expected when they go back? It provides time for the premier league to observe the lab rats in other countries to help guide the best practices? If they weren't trying to learn from elsewhere, we'd be calling the PL in the same way the government has been criticised for not doing that with the pandemic management. 

14 minutes ago, TK421 said:

I'm assuming there was some sort of discussion because it was on a podcast, which typically involves some sort of to and fro between the host and their guests.  That's where the "lab rat" line came from. The tabloid press homed in on that phrase and got their headlines.  He didn't go mouthing off to the press in the manner you suggested. 

Well maybe we listen to different podcasts. I find most player (and manager) interviews inane as they are allowed to say whatever unquestioned and treated like little princesses. I've certainly never across something that would feel like debate. 

Guest Alex_K

Yeah Lovren goes nowhere unless on a free. Even then probably no one takes his contract on. There will be huge risk mitigation activities just in case covid or something similar causes retracement. 

5 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

Is that really a problem as long as they're as safe as can be expected when they go back? It provides time for the premier league to observe the lab rats in other countries to help guide the best practices? If they weren't trying to learn from elsewhere, we'd be calling the PL in the same way the government has been criticised for not doing that with the pandemic management. 

Like you say it's probably on balance the best the PL  can do.   Likewise Rose has probably articulated his concerns as best a straight-talking yorkshireman can.

4 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Yeah Lovren goes nowhere unless on a free. Even then probably no one takes his contract on. There will be huge risk mitigation activities just in case covid or something similar causes retracement. 

Wonder if it gets to the point of extending someone like  Lalanna for another year.