You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

10 minutes ago, No2 said:

When the fixtures are rearranged we will find ourselves away from home for at least games but probably 3. And everton won't be one of our opponents.

They'll just start the fixtures from where they were suspended, wont they? If I remember, city had at least one game to play and possibly two because after our Bournemouth game, people said we could be champions before we played everton.

I hope we get the go ahead to restart but just remember all the bitters, from whichever club, will round on us if / when we win the league, they will find any excuse to have a go.  And god forbid we dare celebrate as people are dying, conveniently forgetting they're all celebrating and enjoying other aspects of life; the heartless bastards laughing at comedies, revelling in dramas, or enjoying music, films etc.

Fuck 'em. 

There are way too many cheats and gobshites who will stop at nothing to fight against restart,  they will be pulling every trick in the book and then some to derail it. Just PPG it (both home and away) and put it to bed. I don’t want it back now myself anyway, all momentum has long gone and playing in empty stadiums will suck the big one. We’ve won it,  just PPG it and give us the trophy.

• Upvote 2

Doesnt matter, people will always sit on opposite sides of the fence, either end it or continue. No one has the moral high ground.

I hope it is continued. Cancelling it for the litany of excuses other people come up with only for them to say in the next breath 'so we can start next season, as normal in august' is just unadulterated bullshit.

By all means end it if they are really concerned about their health but dont for one minute then claim we're good to go with pre season training, kicking off the season as if nothing has happened.

But my swingometer continues to move to it not being continued based on the reports Im seeing. Of course they could be deliberately pessimistic by sports outlets to drive hits and traffic to their sites but it just seems more and more obstacles, however transparent they are, are being placed in the way. It's like playing whack a mole, as soon as one problem is addressed, a new one appears and so on.

It seems the fucking football gods not only shit on Stevie in 2014, they are shitting on us again.

46 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Doesnt matter, people will always sit on opposite sides of the fence, either end it or continue. No one has the moral high ground.

I hope it is continued. Cancelling it for the litany of excuses other people come up with only for them to say in the next breath 'so we can start next season, as normal in august' is just unadulterated bullshit.

By all means end it if they are really concerned about their health but dont for one minute then claim we're good to go with pre season training, kicking off the season as if nothing has happened.

But my swingometer continues to move to it not being continued based on the reports Im seeing. Of course they could be deliberately pessimistic by sports outlets to drive hits and traffic to their sites but it just seems more and more obstacles, however transparent they are, are being placed in the way. It's like playing whack a mole, as soon as one problem is addressed, a new one appears and so on.

It seems the fucking football gods not only shit on Stevie in 2014, they are shitting on us again.

I think the thing that will really swing it is if play is resumed in Germany and Spain - it would be fatal to the Premier League's status as the biggest in the world to be scuppered by a bunch of sides desperately trying to cheat their way to safety while the next biggest get it together.

Mark my words, if money isn’t enough to see the season concluded and the others mange it, we'll see an exodus of players over the next couple of years and a return to the sort of status English clubs held in Europe for the bulk of the 1990s.

Also, like clockwork, the captains from the arse-end of the table apparently have greater concerns than the rest about hygiene for some reason or other.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8316741/Project-Restart-limbo-two-hour-call-Premier-League-captains-reveals-divide.html

The captains meeting - which started at 2pm and lasted for over two hours - saw players express major fears over their safety ahead of their planned return to training next week. West Ham captain Mark Noble and Watford skipper Troy Deeney are understood to have been particularly vocal during the conference call.

With 20 players on the call it is understood there were divisions among the group over the plans. Players towards the top of the league were said to be more relaxed with the hygiene protocols devised by the Premier League, but those towards the bottom are said to have expressed greater concerns.

Guest Alex_K

Absolute bullshit. Have Noble and Deeney offered to hand their wages back in? 33 & 31 the pair, are they? If they don't want to partake, fine: stick them on furlough and let them sit out the last contract of their careers taking 20 grand for the year. Are Watford and West Ham going to cover the financial hit that will hit the rest of the clubs? Will they fuck. Less than 200 deaths between the age of 20 - 39 in the UK from Covid is it - not counting the contribution of underlying conditions to that too? And these people - all of whom are of that age group - would be working in the most conrolled environment humanely possible while the rest of the UK will bit-by-bit be hurried back into relatively uncontrolled work places or risk losing the food on their table. Its a disgrace if they are allowed to hold the whole industry to ransom - unless theyre happy to pick the cheque up for everyone else as a result.

Guest Alex_K
4 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

To be fair to Noble, he wants to complete the season. Seems a good lad.

Fair. Was responding to the quoted post above re: Deeney & Noble comments - just saw Noble's separate comments re: moral obligation to complete the league one way or another in autumn.

42 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Fair. Was responding to the quoted post above re: Deeney & Noble comments - just saw Noble's separate comments re: moral obligation to complete the league one way or another in autumn.

Having a “moral obligation” is easy to say when you know there’s zero chance of it being allowed to happen, so I think Noble's alleged actions today speak volumes.

1 hour ago, TheDrowningMan said:

I think the thing that will really swing it is if play is resumed in Germany and Spain - it would be fatal to the Premier League's status as the biggest in the world to be scuppered by a bunch of sides desperately trying to cheat their way to safety while the next biggest get it together.

Mark my words, if money isn’t enough to see the season concluded and the others mange it, we'll see an exodus of players over the next couple of years and a return to the sort of status English clubs held in Europe for the bulk of the 1990s.

Also, like clockwork, the captains from the arse-end of the table apparently have greater concerns than the rest about hygiene for some reason or other.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8316741/Project-Restart-limbo-two-hour-call-Premier-League-captains-reveals-divide.html

That article is typical of what I mean though. For starters, the headline says re starting is 'in limbo' but there's very little detail. Nolan is made out as being 'very vocal' along with deeney, the suggestion being they are both against the idea. Yet the same paper reported Nolan not long ago saying the season should be completed.

There's also no mention PHE's Van Tam was on the call which is mentioned in either the Guardian or Telegraph articles.

38 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Having a “moral obligation” is easy to say when you know there’s zero chance of it being allowed to happen, so I think Noble's alleged actions today speak volumes.

Agreed. The season being finished in Autumn isn't on the table anymore.

Its either behind closed doors or points per game. West Ham go down on PPG.

1 hour ago, Alex_K said:

Absolute bullshit. Have Noble and Deeney offered to hand their wages back in? 33 & 31 the pair, are they? If they don't want to partake, fine: stick them on furlough and let them sit out the last contract of their careers taking 20 grand for the year. Are Watford and West Ham going to cover the financial hit that will hit the rest of the clubs? Will they fuck. Less than 200 deaths between the age of 20 - 39 in the UK from Covid is it - not counting the contribution of underlying conditions to that too? And these people - all of whom are of that age group - would be working in the most conrolled environment humanely possible while the rest of the UK will bit-by-bit be hurried back into relatively uncontrolled work places or risk losing the food on their table. Its a disgrace if they are allowed to hold the whole industry to ransom - unless theyre happy to pick the cheque up for everyone else as a result.

Those lads have been spoon fed their opinions, harsh to blame them individually when they're expressing the thoughts of their paymasters.

3 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

There are way too many cheats and gobshites who will stop at nothing to fight against restart,  they will be pulling every trick in the book and then some to derail it. Just PPG it (both home and away) and put it to bed. I don’t want it back now myself anyway, all momentum has long gone and playing in empty stadiums will suck the big one. We’ve won it,  just PPG it and give us the trophy.

I mean how fucking pointless is football behind closed doors? Total waste of time.

Guest Alex_K
29 minutes ago, No2 said:

Those lads have been spoon fed their opinions, harsh to blame them individually when they're expressing the thoughts of their paymasters.

The 'lads' are autonomous, millionaire adults responsible for their own thoughts and opinions. Passing the blame to paymasters/corporate overlords completely passes the buck of responsibility. The uproar against clubs with no incoming revenues furloughing staff was enormous: players on a per-person-basis make immense profits & are exposed to none of the risks that clubs are who carry their ironclad contracts. They turn up to training in the morning, they play at the weekend, they go home to their family and their wage is paid rain or shine irrespective of performance. The people who pay those salaries do not have the same luxury & risk profile. The vast, vast majority of funds that come out of the game are paid in player salaries - not owner profits.

I haven't paid too much attention so happy to be proven wrong, but the motioning towards players giving up their salary seemed to go awfully quiet. And I'm not one to carry the "footballers are paid too much" schtick: in normal times they are paid relative to the revenues their work generates through broadcasting and that is absolutely as it should be, but if they want to shy from playing now if there are medically practical grounds on which to perform their job then they should naturally carry all the financial risk associated with that. Of course, they won't.

Been trying to find the next scheduled meetings.

I think today there might be a decision on neutral venues and club captains are speaking to their squads to see if they are happy to continue and then a Premiership meeting on Monday.