You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

17 minutes ago, an tha said:
I don't like these Tory bastards in charge here, but they are taking a much more considered and IMO reasoned and sensible approach than many other countries to this virus

All those cunts are arsed about is trying not to shake the FTSE any more than they have. The last 3 weeks have been catastrophic for them and their financiers - and what nobody is mentioning the absolute kick in the balls to virtually every single persons pension. And then we've got the shadow of Boris's no deal Brexit awaiting us when all this shit is over. Everyone thought after trump and the almost complete dominance of algo trading we'd got to a point where it was almost impossible to spook the market. The trouble is, as we saw in 2008, once spooked these algos just keep spiralling us downwards and everybody panics managing funds as a consequence. 

3 hours ago, Nelly-Torres said:

I've made peace with the prospect of the league getting cancelled. 

It's not a definite outcome but I wouldn't discount it. I'd guess it's definitely one of the options being considered. 

And, I'm not arsed in the grand scheme of things. Disappointed, if it does happen, but it could all pale into insignificance if/when we start getting mass deaths. 

Fuck mass deaths, want the league. 

Over to the hysterical fannies thread with this shit. 

2 minutes ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

I wonder if, with no fans to worry about, that games can be moved at short notice. Eg, play Palace midweek next week.

Doubt it. If we're playing Monday night no way I want us playing Palace on the Wednesday or Thursday night. Teams still need time to prepare, travel etc.

23 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Doubt it. If we're playing Monday night no way I want us playing Palace on the Wednesday or Thursday night. Teams still need time to prepare, travel etc.

Forgot about the short turn around between our games but it was only an example. If all games are behind closed doors, teams involved on Sat, and they all agree, have a midweek game where possible. 

On 11/03/2020 at 14:36, Ne Moe Imya said:

It's certainly looking like the match at Goodison will be the last one with fans in the stadium.

I reckon we probably win the league against Palace behind closed doors. It will probably feel a bit strange for the players but to be honest it won't make much of a difference to me. The main disappointment will be if the league is cancelled before we get to beat City's points record which I reckon would definitely have fallen.

As for what the FA/UEFA will do, here's my guess: the league table when it's cancelled will be the final league table. They'll figure out a way to end it with all the teams on the same amount of games and then just call it there, maybe 31 or 32 games, whatever we get to. UEFA will have to just cancel the Euros, surely.

Just finish the season whenever. That’s the only sensible solution. 

2 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Gives it two To three months to spread and peak.

This is the part I don't understand -- it is not going to go away. By definition more people will continue to get it, and pass it along.

This also assumes once you have had it you would be immune but that is not the case. There will be no secession until a vaccine is out.

12 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

This is the part I don't understand -- it is not going to go away. By definition more people will continue to get it, and pass it along.

This also assumes once you have had it you would be immune but that is not the case. There will be no secession until a vaccine is out.

A vaccine is 12-18 months out isn't it?

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

No idea pal - but I don't see how anyone can suggest it is going to peak and decline just by loads of folks sitting at home. Once they come out of their shells they will get infected. 

I agree. I think it's party of the plan. As I posted before the focus of the UK government seems to be get past the flu season and bring it on. But if like you say catching it isn't enough to stop you getting it again, what the fuck happens from there! 

21 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

The sooner it’s gone through the population the sooner our immune yet systems will start building resistance to it. You can stay in your tornado shelter if you want. Just make sure you have enough bog roll.

7 minutes ago, an tha said:

This is exactly why football matches won't be able to continue soon, not even behind closed doors. It's absolutely impossible to keep players away from anybody who may potentially have it and if players get it you've no chance whatsoever.

So many layers to this - and once you have one in camp self isolating because of contact with somebody, you end up with whole team doing same if that one develops it or if the person they were in contact with has been in contact with others in team....and on it rolls.

Think about the levels involved, sponsors, execs, owners, phyios, docs, nutritionists, agents, sports science people, boot manufacturers, and so on and on and on.