You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

Once the rest of the country gets back to work the players will pipe down pretty quickly as they'll realise how spoilt they sound.

Even at that, a few players will no doubt still refuse to play, and that's fine.  It won't change anything.  I believe one Club CEO has said that it's fine if some players don't want to play, but they won't be getting paid while refusing to do so.

Also, this isn't going away, so once the footballer realises that his stance means he won't be playing or getting paid for about 12-18 months, watch him reassess the risks to himself.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, A_S said:

So Danny Rose is talking about his mental health issues one minute, then says he doesn't give a fuck about the nation's morale in the next. 

Am I missing something?

I fear this will be the next big road block. What's going to happen if players at any club decide they dont want to play? You have this in society with people saying they dont want to go back to work.

People will point the finger at football and us as the main culprits in making players play.

10 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

I fear this will be the next big road block. What's going to happen if players at any club decide they dont want to play? You have this in society with people saying they dont want to go back to work.

People will point the finger at football and us as the main culprits in making players play.

Clubs can dip into their squads and if they can’t field a full team, the match is forfeited. Simple. 

If there’s no consensus, we now know what happens next; the season is decided on PPG ior similar, title and relegation included.

11 minutes ago, aws said:

They'll be the safest, most protected people in the country when they go back. 

Definitely. These players are multi-million pound assets, not expendable worker ants like the rest of us.

30 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Clubs can dip into their squads and if they can’t field a full team, the match is forfeited. Simple. 

If there’s no consensus, we now know what happens next; the season is decided on PPG ior similar, title and relegation included.

Yes but that's my point. After a lot of euphoria yesterday, the next and I think, a bigger obstacle is presented. And that is the players. Without their consensus, no game is getting played and we're heading towards a PPG finish.

16 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Yes but that's my point. After a lot of euphoria yesterday, the next and I think, a bigger obstacle is presented. And that is the players. Without their consensus, no game is getting played and we're heading towards a PPG finish.

I think, just as ‘null and void’ generated a lot of clicks before being quashed, “millionaire football players refusing to take to the field a month after the rest of Britain headed back to work and school” is something tabloid proprietors will be looking forward to deploying.

With that said, I suspect players will be informed by the league that 75%+ pay-cuts are in the offing in the event the game can’t restart. After all, if June / July is out of the question, why would August be fine?

I completely respect people not wanting to play, but - unless they are or live with a vulnerable person - they should be furloughed on £2500 gross per month , which in itself is a great luxury not available to the majority of us.

2 hours ago, A_S said:

So Danny Rose is talking about his mental health issues one minute, then says he doesn't give a fuck about the nation's morale in the next. 

Am I missing something?

No hes just a massive attention seeking gobshite. 

• Like 1

It could very well be attention seeking.  But I think there is also an element of people just not thinking it through before they speak.  

• The ones saying "We shouldn't even be talking about football while people are dying" don't seem to realise that if that's the case, then this season and next season is gone.
  • The ones saying "We can't play while there's no vaccine so end this season now so we can start next season properly" don't seem to realise that this means next season is gone too.
  • The ones saying "PPG isn't fair so null and void the season" are to be totally dismissed because they're just bitter pricks trying to use the deaths of people from C-19 to stop Liverpool winning the title.

Football is the worst sport of all for arsehole-tribalism.  And we're seeing a lot of this now.

• Like 1

It’s easy enough.  Nobody will be forcing any individual to play.   If you don’t want to play there will be plenty of players at every other club who will be happy to just don’t expect to be getting paid either.  Danny Rose has made his millions so won’t give a shit.  As has been said it will be safer than going the shops.  Every person on the pitch will have been tested the day before or maybe even that same day and likely be quarantined from that point onwards.  It’s highly unlikely any player is catching this from playing football.

1 hour ago, JohnnyH said:

It could very well be attention seeking.  But I think there is also an element of people just not thinking it through before they speak.  

• The ones saying "We shouldn't even be talking about football while people are dying" don't seem to realise that if that's the case, then this season and next season is gone.
  • The ones saying "We can't play while there's no vaccine so end this season now so we can start next season properly" don't seem to realise that this means next season is gone too.
  • The ones saying "PPG isn't fair so null and void the season" are to be totally dismissed because they're just bitter pricks trying to use the deaths of people from C-19 to stop Liverpool winning the title.

Football is the worst sport of all for arsehole-tribalism.  And we're seeing a lot of this now.

If ever there were a reason to cancel this season and move on to the next - where there will be no Coronavirus - it's this:

https://www.espn.com.au/football/manchester-city/story/4093883/man-citys-sterling-ive-had-family-members-die-from-coronavirus

3 minutes ago, skaro said:

If ever there were a reason to cancel this season and move on to the next - where there will be no Coronavirus - it's this:

https://www.espn.com.au/football/manchester-city/story/4093883/man-citys-sterling-ive-had-family-members-die-from-coronavirus

I've had friends whose grandma's passed away, I've had family members as well that have passed away.

Strange to mention your friends granny before your own flesh and blood. Did Steven Ireland used to wear his shirt at City?

1 minute ago, skaro said:

If ever there was a reason to cancel this season and move on to the next - where there will be no Coronavirus - it's this:

But it' not though. 

I get the argument of stopping football until there is no coronavirus.  I'm fine with that.  If football has to stop until next May or June then so be it.  But I don't get the idea of ditching a season 3/4s finished to start another one that will have to jump through all manner of hoops to finish on a much tighter timescale, and then possibly be curtailed by a C-19 return.  So if the argument is no football until C-19 is completely gone, or a vaccine/cure is found, then stop football, and in a year or whenever that time is, restart the football season.

The people who say now is not the time to speak of football so cancel it, are speaking and making decisions about football. Surely the integrity of an almost completed season is much more important than one that hasn't started yet? 

That's what I don't get.  People don't want to speak of football, but are happy to speak of it enough to say they want it back, but in the format of a new season as opposed to a continued season? You either want football back, or you don't.  Starting to decide what season you want back is erroneous, and in most cases, loaded.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, No2 said:

I've had friends whose grandma's passed away, I've had family members as well that have passed away.

Strange to mention your friends granny before your own flesh and blood. 

I know, it's almost like he's saying the things he's saying because he doesn't much fancy finishing this Premier League season - where there is nothing to play for for him... but boy is he raring to go next season.

4 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

But it' not though. 

I get the argument of stopping football until there is no coronavirus.  I'm fine with that.  If football has to stop until next May or June then so be it.  But I don't get the idea of ditching a season 3/4s finished to start another one that will have to jump through all manner of hoops to finish on a much tighter timescale, and then possibly be curtailed by a C-19 return.  So if the argument is no football until C-19 is completely gone, or a vaccine/cure is found, then stop football, and in a year or whenever that time is, restart the football season.

The people who say now is not the time to speak of football so cancel it, are speaking and making decisions about football. Surely the integrity of an almost completed season is much more important than one that hasn't started yet? 

That's what I don't get.  People don't want to speak of football, but are happy to speak of it enough to say they want it back, but in the format of a new season as opposed to a continued season? You either want football back, or you don't.  Starting to decide what season you want back is erroneous, and in most cases, loaded.

I was being - obviously very poorly - sarcastic.