You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

46 minutes ago, Einch said:

So the clubs owe the broadcasters upto £350m in any case apparently. So thats £17.5m each. I wonder that level of hit does for those clubs who are already struggling with current costs?

Well there will be no slapping of money on tables for our friends across the park. 

Jason Burt's verdict:

The Premier League still hopes to return by June 12 behind closed doors although it will now have to try to see if the Government will relent on demanding the remaining 92 games are played at neutral venues. They need the co-operation of the police who have to be convinced fans will not congregate for home games. Clubs have rebelled against neutral venues which means the plan could collapse.

The English Football League is expected to call off Leagues One and Two at a meeting on Thursday. There are still hopes to press ahead with the Championship – although it may just be the play-offs – but everyone is waiting to see what happens with the Premier League who will put it to the vote next Monday.

No one expects crowds at football matches before January 2021.

The next thing is going to be how totally meaningless this title is and no one will remember it. 

When I reality the season will be remembered as the season that Liverpool were so good that every other fan wanted the season cancelling. 

The fume is going to be so satisfying and I'll celebrate like mad next summer when their precious Ingerland get knocked the fuck out the euros. 

1 hour ago, Barry Wom said:

Where did you get 350m? The latest figures I saw from (I think from miguel Delaney) was 725m and then there's another 500m in sponsorship money on top of that. One of the papers did a table... I think this is it. 

26882608-8193655-Sportsmail_data_shows_that_all_Premier_League_clubs_will_make_lo-a-10_1586261341195.jpg

I think the suggestion is £350m gets claimed back even if the games go ahead. If it's curtailed then the claim is far higher. 

Saw a comment in the Wail I think it was. Some city nob saying Liverpool will always be remember for winning a tainted title so city were really still the champions. Some wag replied every one of city's titles since 2011 has been tainted so in that case, they hadnt been champions since 1968!

1 hour ago, aws said:

I think the suggestion is £350m gets claimed back even if the games go ahead. If it's curtailed then the claim is far higher. 

Premier League clubs facing £340m TV refund even if season resumes - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52579299

The refund has been requested as matches are not taking place as expected - both because they will be played without fans and at different times to originally scheduled.

44 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

If all these companies push for refunds on the TV deal they are about to kill themselves off after 2022. The premier league will just end up doing a deal with someone like Amazon and fucking them off

And how low do you think Amazon or Disney would bid in that case?  Dont forget the overseas rights in the current contract is more than the combined Sky, BT and Amazon total put together. One overseas rights holder is currently talking legal action with the PL because they arent getting the games to transmit. If the PL doesnt deliver this season and as seems likely, has to play games in empty stadiums until January at least, the money for the next contract might be pretty low.

Interesting!

UEFA will extend their May 25 deadline if the Premier League need more time to present their restart plans.

The European governing body's president Aleksander Ceferin informed clubs last month of the cut-off date, asking for a plan that included a restart date and format for completing remaining games.

But with the Premier League's Project Restart no closer after Monday's meeting there are growing concerns they will miss that date.

English clubs are set for a final vote on restarting on Monday, but the matter is exacerbated by the Prime Minister's decision to allow matches to take place behind closed doors from June 1.

This move came with the considerable caveat that the date might well be pushed back if the coronavirus crisis worsens — likely making UEFA's original deadline impossible to meet.

However, UEFA accept the complex issues faced and are keen not to add pressure in an already delicate situation.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-8309143/UEFA-willing-EXTEND-25-deadline-Premier-League-require-time.html

7 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Have they not even spoke to the players yet. This going ahead could be ended pretty quickly by some players just refusing to play.

1 hour ago, DalyanPete said:

I give you.....Lord Raheem of Sterling.

Yet nursery teachers will b expected to go back June 1st...

Its quite funny seeing not just bitters but most rival fans backing Mr Sterling over this when all things seeing equal him and fellow footballers with this attitude would be getting tore a new one. And it would be from those very same people when Captain Tom is raising thousands while nurses, bin men and shop workers are risking their lives everyday and at the forefront of all that slating would be the new social conscience Piers Morgan .

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Stickman said:

Yet nursery teachers will b expected to go back June 1st...

Its quite funny seeing not just bitters but most rival fans backing Mr Sterling over this when all things seeing equal him and fellow footballers with this attitude would be getting tore a new one. And it would be from those very same people when Captain Tom is raising thousands while nurses, bin men and shop workers are risking their lives everyday and at the forefront of all that slating would be the new social conscience Piers Morgan .

All about "The Agenda" for rival fans.

Stop them at any cost.

They have said we will be unbearable when we win it, too fuckin right we will!

If the argument is football shouldn't return because it's a risk to footballers then nobody should be back at work. At least they are going to get bloody tested at every stage possible.  Not a single person I know has been tested but back to work we all go. Risk the lives of the plebs but protect the pampered. If their argument is no none essential worker should be back then fine. PPG the league and be done with it for at least 12 months.

• Upvote 1