You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

Apparently a club owner has told players they won’t be paid if the league doesn’t restart. That’s a no-brainier, isn’t it? It’s not sustainable to pay multi-millionaires up to several hundreds pounds per week if you’re not getting anything in return. I’m not opposed to anyone declining to play, but their wages should be capped at £2,500 per month for the duration of their refusal.

• Like 1

Just now, Jennings said:

Where are you seeing this, mate?

I think it's a lot of people filling in the gaps.

Announcement of no games before 1st June: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/52619111

Leaked timeline of the PL:

Date Info
May 10 Boris Johnson due to give update on lockdown restrictions (some lockdown restrictions are lifted, a plan to permit "cultural and sporting events to take place behind closed doors for broadcast, while avoiding the risk of large-scale social contact" is announced)
Today Premier League meeting responding to government update
May 12 Players train in small groups but with social distancing
May 25 Contact training introduced
June 12 Premier League matches resume. No two matches played simultaneously to allow maximum television coverage
July 27 Premier League’s 2019-20 season completed.
August 3 After one-week break, players return to training for pre-season.
August 8 FA Cup final planned, although the match could be staged in midweek on August 5. Seven ties remain in the competition and all are due to be played at Wembley Stadium
August 9 Champions League and Europa League campaigns resume, with aim of completing within three weeks
August 22 Pencilled in as start date for 2020-21 Premier League campaign to begin after three-week pre-season
August 29 Champions League final in Istanbul
September 12

Contingency plan for a later start date to the 2020-21 Premier League season

• Upvote 1

i still expect the league to be cancelled lets face it there is enough red flags going up all over the world that shows lifting restrictions to soon is causing the infection rate to go up again and the same will happen here.Only fair way i see it is if its cancelled is to freeze the league crown us champions relegate nobody and promote the top 2 from the championship and repeat the same in all leagues.Then next season do away with the league cup/FA cup to allow for extra games then at the end of nest season 5 go down in each league 2 come up to rebalance the leagues........should stop everyone taking the FA to court and dragging it on for the next 3 years !!  

28 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Apparently a club owner has told players they won’t be paid if the league doesn’t restart. That’s a no-brainier, isn’t it? It’s not sustainable to pay multi-millionaires up to several hundreds pounds per week if you’re not getting anything in return. I’m not opposed to anyone declining to play, but their wages should be capped at £2,500 per month for the duration of their refusal.

Think you are mixing two things up here - this would be if the league does re-start and they refuse to play.

Does bring up an interesting point -- what to do about wages if the league does not re-start?

I can see a bunch of clubs not being able to pay wages, nor will most want to but I think they would have to release those players from any contract to do so.

14 minutes ago, andyj said:

i still expect the league to be cancelled lets face it there is enough red flags going up all over the world that shows lifting restrictions to soon is causing the infection rate to go up again and the same will happen here.Only fair way i see it is if its cancelled is to freeze the league crown us champions relegate nobody and promote the top 2 from the championship and repeat the same in all leagues.Then next season do away with the league cup/FA cup to allow for extra games then at the end of nest season 5 go down in each league 2 come up to rebalance the leagues........should stop everyone taking the FA to court and dragging it on for the next 3 years !!  

I've no doubt that there will be a spike here especially with that useless shithouse in control. However, if anything he will want sport for the masses to take their eyes off his shambolic handling of things. Throw in that he won't want Johnny Foreigner successfully playing sport again and Britain can't.

The league and clubs know that they need to return. Some clubs are trying to barter for the best deal but all know that they have to come back. Of the so called bottom 6, 3 of them would be down anyway with ppg. Them being relegated is like having their car taken off them. Them not finishing the season is like losing everything they have. That's the crucial difference.

The owners of clubs whether it is United or Palace know that the season needs to be completed asap to get things lined up for next season. They are business people not the banter police. 

2 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

The Premier League have reportedly gone back to the government and asked if the neutral venues can be removed and replaced with the usual home and away grounds. 

And this where Brady and that have been a bit stupid I think.  Publicly they seem to have nailed their colours to the neutral ground mast. If that gets removed then it will be interesting to see where they go from there.  If they keep putting obstacles up hoping they won’t be resolved then they will lose a lot of sympathy.

1 minute ago, The Guest said:

And this where Brady and that have been a bit stupid I think.  Publicly they seem to have nailed their colours to the neutral ground mast. If that gets removed then it will be interesting to see where they go from there.  If they keep putting obstacles up hoping they won’t be resolved then they will lose a lot of sympathy.

That bit will just come up with something else. "We aren't a summer team, we play our best in the autumn, winter and spring, its not fair" 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RobbieOR said:

The FA have apparently told the clubs at the meeting to either play the games or decide it PPG.

I reckon they’ve gone for a good cop bad cop approach here.  They know the bottom 6 have got the premier league by the balls so they’ve asked the FA to step in.  Those 6 have definitely got together and said we’ve got a chance to get relegation off the table if we stick together because all the top clubs want to play those games for the money.  The problem for them now though is that the FA hold the power over relegations.  If the FA try to force that which it appears they are doing then you will soon see the bottom 3 change their tune.

West Ham and Brighton will still be at it but they won’t have any power.

22 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

The Premier League have reportedly gone back to the government and asked if the neutral venues can be removed and replaced with the usual home and away grounds. 

Can't see that happening. If I was in charge of public health that would be a no-no.

It's going to be either neutral grounds or not at all, probably decided by ppg.