You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

The feeling I get is if any football competition is postponed long term, whether that be The PL, Serie A, UEFA club and international football, it's not going to be for a few weeks and the next season will not start as normal.

If football is postponed then it's very likely next season is written off as well because the signs are this is the beginning not the end.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

I've made peace with the prospect of the league getting cancelled. 

It's not a definite outcome but I wouldn't discount it. I'd guess it's definitely one of the options being considered. 

And, I'm not arsed in the grand scheme of things. Disappointed, if it does happen, but it could all pale into insignificance if/when we start getting mass deaths. 

Surely not serious? I don't think I could ever get over the league getting cancelled. We've waited 30 years for this, how can you say you wouldn't be arsed? We're not getting hit by a meteor causing an extinction level event. It'll be a few thousand deaths at most. Around 500,000 die in the UK each year. Let's have some perspective.

• Upvote 4

I think one of my biggest problems would be if it’s cancelled without the country going into lockdown - you can’t tell people that it’s not serious enough for them to still have to go to their supermarket job but serious enough to cancel every sort of event. 

It goes without saying that all ticket sales, merchandise and TV subscriptions pertaining to cancelled competitions should be refunded by the relevant authorities.

1 minute ago, Baltar said:

Surely not serious? I don't think I could ever get over the league getting cancelled. We've waited 30 years for this, how can you say you wouldn't be arsed? We're not getting hit by a meteor causing an extinction level event. It'll be a few thousand deaths at most. Around 500,000 die in the UK each year. Let's have some perspective.

I'll be disappointed. But, if it in anyway stops people I know and love from becoming seriously ill and possibly dying, then that will probably outweigh the disappointment. 

6 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

L’Equipe is now saying that UEFA are set to propose on Tuesday postponing the Euros until next year and suspending the CL and EL, so that they - along with domestic competitions - can be completed in the summer.

Sounds almost too sensical

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Baltar said:

I’d be absolutely gutted if it got cancelled....but you say there’ll be a ‘few thousand deaths at most’, like your willing to accept them deaths to get the trophy. Surely not serious? Let’s have some perspective. The infection rates have multiplied 10 fold in a week, regardless of us winning the trophy there’s bigger things at play here. I’d be absolutely gutted, The whole year organised around footy and organising a weekend of celebrations for the seasons end. But we can’t just downplay ‘a few thousand deaths’ and then justify it by 500,000 die each year anyway. Makes you look a bit of a twat TBH. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

I’d be absolutely gutted if it got cancelled....but you say there’ll be a ‘few thousand deaths at most’, like your willing to accept them deaths to get the trophy. Surely not serious? Let’s have some perspective. The infection rates have multiplied 10 fold in a week, regardless of us winning the trophy there’s bigger things at play here. I’d be absolutely gutted, The whole year organised around footy and organising a weekend of celebrations for the seasons end. But we can’t just downplay ‘a few thousand deaths’ and then justify it by 500,000 die each year anyway. Makes you look a bit of a twat TBH. 

No I'm not saying I'm fine with thousands dying just so we can win the league. I'm saying thousands are likely to die regardless. That's no reason to cancel the entire season. There are many options to voiding the season and none of them risk endangering the general public. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Imagine the fume if Everton were in the relegation zone on goal difference. They have been banging on about the season being written off. Doesnt make any difference to them as their season is over in january every year.

Their season is not over until we have played our last game.

18 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Stop it until after the International break and then assess it. Worse comes to worse play behind closed doors.

I think when they stop that will be it.

Closed door games might make sense before suspending the season but not after.

NBA, MLS and NHL have all stopped the seasons.

The college basketball tournament is expected to do the same today.

3 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I think when they stop that will be it.

Closed door games might make sense before suspending the season but not after.

NBA, MLS and NHL have all stopped the seasons.

The college basketball tournament is expected to do the same today.

Gov Chief scientific guy just said they expect the number of cases to peak in 12 to 14 weeks. If events get postponed, it will not be for a couple of weeks, it will be 3 to 4 months. And that surely puts a different complexion on the situation?

3 hours ago, Nelly-Torres said:

I've made peace with the prospect of the league getting cancelled. 

It's not a definite outcome but I wouldn't discount it. I'd guess it's definitely one of the options being considered. 

And, I'm not arsed in the grand scheme of things. Disappointed, if it does happen, but it could all pale into insignificance if/when we start getting mass deaths. 

Where is this mass deaths thing coming from? Has a healthy person actually died from it yet? 

23 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Their season is not over until we have played our last game.

Well it could be argued that discounting anything that might happen cancelling games, we're only 2 matches away from our season finishing. 

10 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Gov Chief scientific guy just said they expect the number of cases to peak in 12 to 14 weeks. If events get postponed, it will not be for a couple of weeks, it will be 3 to 4 months. And that surely puts a different complexion on the situation?

This is my view as well. I don't see how everything starts up again should they stop. I hope they push to carry on behind closed doors for now. I know it's a different scale at the moment, but China stopped football 6 weeks ago, there's not even the beginnings of a discussion about bringing it back. In Germany they're saying they're expecting 70-80% of the population contracting the disease, so we're pretty much all going to get it at some point as there's no reason to think we'll be any different to Germany.

It feels to me there was a plan to get as far as next weekend then cancel everything before it ramps up and getting us to the end of the flu season. Schools have been preparing to send the kids home from the 20th till the end of the Easter holidays. In football there'd been almost consensus in the media we'd get as far as the international break and then they'd shutdown or behind closed doors it. But there's a sense the last 48 hours have ramped that all up and there's every chance it'll all be brought forward by a week. 

From a footballing perspective I'm just hoping they don't stop, just agree if squads are healthy there's no reason not to play. Because if they stop, I'm 100% sure this season won't restart.