You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

Tesco should use its wealth to protect local shops, small business. The money at the top in football is shocking but where isn't it shocking at the top comparative to at the bottom. Why single out football or footballers. Demand they look after others in their sector but its dog eat dog everywhere else. Im not even saying they shouldn't help out or that the money shouldn't be regulated in a way that helps sustain football at lower levels but it shouldn't be demanded or expected unless it is everywhere. If football is a community then its upto football itself to decide. 

Look at these greedy working class lads at the top of their field earning huge money its disgusting, whilst Etonian politicians with 10 jobs, paid speeches, avoiding taxes in off shore accounts, make decisions and hand out contracts as favours for favours tell us we are in it together and should pull together. Fuck them! fuck the likes of the daily mail journos who suddenly find this charitable nature and worry for the underdog because its grown from a seed of outrage. Something else to blame rather than.. I dont know maybe  outraged at wealth not paying its taxes, members of Parliament with offshore accounts, they want to tell us how to live but not contribute. They want their cake and to eat it and your cake and then point to the skinny bastard and tell us he ate it. They have no morality unless its a distraction. Fuck them.

• Upvote 12

36 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Tesco should use its wealth to protect local shops, small business. The money at the top in football is shocking but where isn't it shocking at the top comparative to at the bottom. Why single out football or footballers. Demand they look after others in their sector but its dog eat dog everywhere else. Im not even saying they shouldn't help out or that the money shouldn't be regulated in a way that helps sustain football at lower levels but it shouldn't be demanded or expected unless it is everywhere. If football is a community then its upto football itself to decide. 

Look at these greedy working class lads at the top of their field earning huge money its disgusting, whilst Etonian politicians with 10 jobs, paid speeches, avoiding taxes in off shore accounts, make decisions and hand out contracts as favours for favours tell us we are in it together and should pull together. Fuck them! fuck the likes of the daily mail journos who suddenly find this charitable nature and worry for the underdog because its grown from a seed of outrage. Something else to blame rather than.. I dont know maybe  outraged at wealth not paying its taxes, members of Parliament with offshore accounts, they want to tell us how to live but not contribute. They want their cake and to eat it and your cake and then point to the skinny bastard and tell us he ate it. They have no morality unless its a distraction. Fuck them.

Brilliant post mate. As I keep saying I am completely fascinated by the idea we have a right wing Tory government who is promoting the redistribution of wealth and not only should it happen, but it is the right thing to do. Interestingly they're only interested in that happening to support the working class sport. There's absolutely no suggestion of this happening anywhere else in industry as that may take a few quid out of their own very deep pockets. Cunts the lot of them and we should be loudly telling them to fuck off. 

The way this shit's going with a Government that doesnt know it's arse from it's elbow and still listening to the same scientific advisors who fucked the show up from the beginning, I wouldnt be the least bit surprised to see the lower league's season curtailed once again. Even Coco, just how the fuck did he weedle his way at being head of the EFL, is hinting at the possibility?

We dont know how this is going to pan out but with the PL now having an agreed plan for the season's curtailment, there's a doubt at the back of my mind there would not be the same push that we had last season to complete the league if, it gets suspend this time round.

I think international games and even CL \ EL football is going to heighten the risk. Hope Im talking shite!

4 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Spot on. We got shit for furloughing staff but it's fine when other industries do it. Rank hypocrisy. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

So what? 

It doesn’t make it wrong to care about Wigan, Bolton, Macclesfield, Bury etc. Just because other industries don’t look after their own, does that mean rich clubs should fuck the rest? 

4 minutes ago, rubble-rouser said:

So what? 

It doesn’t make it wrong to care about Wigan, Bolton, Macclesfield, Bury etc. Just because other industries don’t look after their own, does that mean rich clubs should fuck the rest? 

Are they actively fucking them, or just not reaching out to provide support.

1 minute ago, rubble-rouser said:

Ok - read it as ‘saying fuck the rest’, if semantics are the important thing here

I'm not saying clubs should say fuck the rest I'm saying those people who point the finger at football but ignore the world around them should fuck off. Im all for clubs being altruistic and looking after smaller clubs in the same way id love for big companies to look at the wider consequences before their profits. People being selective in who should have moral obligations and those who don't need too doesn't sit with me. If the call is for the wealthy to provide security for the poor then thats a societal one not one to throw at football.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Great post 

2 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

The way this shit's going with a Government that doesnt know it's arse from it's elbow and still listening to the same scientific advisors who fucked the show up from the beginning, I wouldnt be the least bit surprised to see the lower league's season curtailed once again. Even Coco, just how the fuck did he weedle his way at being head of the EFL, is hinting at the possibility?

We dont know how this is going to pan out but with the PL now having an agreed plan for the season's curtailment, there's a doubt at the back of my mind there would not be the same push that we had last season to complete the league if, it gets suspend this time round.

I think international games and even CL \ EL football is going to heighten the risk. Hope Im talking shite!

The EFL teams have already cut testing back as they can't afford it. 

I agree international (club and nations) football makes little sense. Personally I think they should already decide to stop it, compress the league season into the gaps created and then in April or whatever do a big version of what they did last season. It would be an amazing spectacle and we might be down the line with a vaccine the players could have by then. 

1 hour ago, rubble-rouser said:

So what? 

It's not about those particular clubs is it? They fucked it without covid. It's about every single club just about. I could rattle on for hours about what could be done imo, where things could be done in house at club level, league level, government level, but it means little coming from me. I think the centre piece needs to be the EFL clubs themselves, the government to protect an industry (may I say one of the highest tax paying industries per person when you consider the income tax the players pay) and the TV companies who I assume would like the product to continue to exist. I think the very back of the queue in terms of discussion should be the premier league, which while it benefits from the pyramid system is in direct competition for TV money with the EFL in the same way as @Bobby Hundreds points out Tesco's are with local grocery stores. And by the way have their own, if less significant issues with nobody coming through the gate. 

It's way too simplistic to just say "the big clubs are rich, let them pay for the little clubs" but it's a narrative the government want because if there's money to be given away, they either want to gift it to their mates and if there's any left for "culture", they'll be ensuring they protect things that are culturally significant to  the upper classes and not the proles. 

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

The EFL teams have already cut testing back as they can't afford it. 

I agree international (club and nations) football makes little sense. Personally I think they should already decide to stop it, compress the league season into the gaps created and then in April or whatever do a big version of what they did last season. It would be an amazing spectacle and we might be down the line with a vaccine the players could have by then. 

It's not about those particular clubs is it? They fucked it without covid. It's about every single club just about. I could rattle on for hours about what could be done imo, where things could be done in house at club level, league level, government level, but it means little coming from me. I think the centre piece needs to be the EFL clubs themselves, the government to protect an industry (may I say one of the highest tax paying industries per person when you consider the income tax the players pay) and the TV companies who I assume would like the product to continue to exist. I think the very back of the queue in terms of discussion should be the premier league, which while it benefits from the pyramid system is in direct competition for TV money with the EFL in the same way as @Bobby Hundreds points out Tesco's are with local grocery stores. And by the way have their own, if less significant issues with nobody coming through the gate. 

It's way too simplistic to just say "the big clubs are rich, let them pay for the little clubs" but it's a narrative the government want because if there's money to be given away, they either want to gift it to their mates and if there's any left for "culture", they'll be ensuring they protect things that are culturally significant to  the upper classes and not the proles. 

Yes, there is massive hypocrisy, but that doesn’t mean the big clubs should stand by. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, rubble-rouser said:

Yes, there is massive hypocrisy, but that doesn’t mean the big clubs should stand by. 

The thing is, they don't stand by..money already filters down. There is redistribution of wealth, even if it's on a small scale. As I say, I think the PL clubs should be way behind others in solving this problem. And I think there's ways clubs can get through this issue, but they won't make some of those choices if they think the PL will just pay the bills. 

17 minutes ago, Barnesey said:

If all the other supermarkets went out of business Tesco would have a monopoly. If all the other football clubs go out of business Liverpool have no-one to play.

That pre supposes every club in the EFL never mind PL is near bankrupt. There are a number of clubs in the EFL that are well run and not in shit loads of debt.

3 hours ago, Barnesey said:

If all the other supermarkets went out of business Tesco would have a monopoly. If all the other football clubs go out of business Liverpool have no-one to play.

I'm pretty sure there's nothing many clubs in the PL would like more than the entire EFL structure to collapse and what remains is a single league with no relegation issues. And I'd be just as confident the major sides at the top wouldn't be too fussed if this was replicated right across Europe and they could just have their European super League NFL style. And this is my entire point. It's not necessarily in the interests of the PL to solve this issue. The lack of funds for EFL clubs needs to be solved by those who need it to exist, which are the clubs themselves, the communities they serve, the government to protect industry, tax and culture and the TV companies who want to show the product. 

12 hours ago, Herp McDerp said:

Calling it now, this won't be happening.

Who knows. Assuming the vaccination works and they can start before Christmas (as Vallance said was the plan) then getting the most vulnerable & elderly done in Q1 and telling the rest of the population to deal with it...

I don’t think it’s an unrealistic hope. 

On 01/10/2020 at 07:05, Herp McDerp said:

Calling it now, this won't be happening.

Sadly, I think you're right. There wont be full houses in any games this season and maybe even next season, in my opinion. One fifth of the UK population says they wont get the vaccine and no vaccine is ever anywhere near 100% effective across all age groups.

Open letter from the Premiership and other bodies to let supporters back in. 

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/announcements/411533-open-letter-to-fans-from-premier-league-fa-and-efl

Petition to sign below.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/552036

35k signatures in 31 minutes. 

Got to think the footballing bodies have been frustrated by the government’s lack of action and are asking supporters to force the matter. 

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

Open letter from the Premiership and other bodies to let supporters back in. 

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/announcements/411533-open-letter-to-fans-from-premier-league-fa-and-efl

Petition to sign below.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/552036

35k signatures in 31 minutes. 

Got to think the footballing bodies have been frustrated by the government’s lack of action and are asking supporters to force the matter. 

Catering staff at Everton were given notice yesterday that they they'll be back full time in November. Dunno if the PL know something the rest of us don't.