You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

• 3 weeks later...

Well it didnt and here we stand, on the verge of lifting the trophy.

Government announces fans will be allowed back in stadiums from October if 'trial' events are successful. Fuck's sake, a bit of sunshine and the beaches and tourist spots are packed.

Let us back in now and especially for the trophy lift.

• 2 months later...

I'm not sure what is the right thread for this. Maybe it just needs a new one..but there's been loads of stuff over the weekend about how the premier league should pay to support the whole football pyramid and this is an agenda pushed by the government and in the main supported by the press. I don't get it. When did our government start supporting the redistribution of wealth? Will they be suggesting the top earners should go to 95% tax? Will they be pushing large corporationsn including the internet forms to pay even a respectable amount of tax? Just like all the stuff that happened through lockdown when we had that cunt Hancock telling us footballers should take pay cuts to pay, it's like they just can't abide the oiks having any money at all. And this is exactly why we should have taken the furlough money. 

I think all premier League clubs should go back to the government and ask them for the furlough money they never claimed (which they were entitled to) and use the money to supplement the EFL structure. 

6 minutes ago, Arnaud said:

PL is dealing with  outrageous money. If you thing twice about it it just makes you sick. 

They are part of of a professional system with four leagues. 

They can help.

Solidarity. 

They stopped being a part of a professional system with 4 leagues almost 30 years ago. And they do help. 

On 27/06/2020 at 00:22, Bobby Hundreds said:

What is it with mancs and dancing like that. Chimpanzee mouths walking backwards and forwards playing invisible tennis from one hand to the other. They're simian as fuck.

I used to love an Ian Brown dance to Fools Gold at the indie disco back in the day.

The number of clubs in this country is just unsustainable, in the long run. Whilst I agree, it would be great to see a drive for the richest to help the poorest, it needs to be structured at a societal level for all - major retailers, tech giants, hedge funds, MPs etc. Instead, the government - and by proxy, certain media outlets - is cherry picking the one industry where predominantly working class lads are the ones generating wealth, and also benefiting from it. Wealth that brings in billions to this economy, and workers who'll still pay hundreds of millions in tax.

PL clubs themselves are rich, but it's mainly in value. Increases in income are swallowed by a similar inflation in expenditure. Seeing clubs claiming furlough didn't sit right with me, but if the government didn't want the greatest wealth creators to claim, they should have legislated for that. Instead, they built a supposedly fair system, then tried to guilt trip football into taking the hit.

• Upvote 1

If the Premiership is able to help out, then I think they should. 

An extra c.30 clubs in the Championship have been former Premiership members. 

That’s just over half the 92 clubs. 

Just because the top 20 broke away for their own benefit doesn’t mean the rest should be allowed to disappear.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Arnaud said:

I know what you mean, but it’s still an organization with promotion and relegation. And PL can help now.

You could cut by 50% every players’ wage, they will still be over paid and rich for centuries ! 

You can't cut their wages though. Because they have contracts and there are laws. And rightly too. And so what they're rich? So are the CEOs of countless companies up and down the country, but nobody is expecting them to take pay cuts and nobody within any Tory government I can recall has ever suggested redistribution of wealth as a solution. It's just because it's football and is the easy target again. If we're going to do this right across society, sound, let's get on with it. But until then, I sick to death of football being singled out. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

I’m happy to help the lower leagues, but they have to put their house in proper order. Their due diligence is a fucking nonsense - just look at the shenanigans around Wigan. Their owners and administration have been acting irresponsibly for years and that needs to change.

5 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

You can't cut their wages though. Because they have contracts and there are laws. And rightly too. And so what they're rich? So are the CEOs of countless companies up and down the country, but nobody is expecting them to take pay cuts and nobody within any Tory government I can recall has ever suggested redistribution of wealth as a solution. It's just because it's football and is the easy target again. If we're going to do this right across society, sound, let's get on with it. But until then, I sick to death of football being singled out. 

You’re right, I was just talking footie. In football, rich should help poor. The same within the rest of society. I know that’s not the way things work unfortunately, especially in the UK ! 

23 minutes ago, Anubis said:

I’m happy to help the lower leagues, but they have to put their house in proper order. Their due diligence is a fucking nonsense - just look at the shenanigans around Wigan. Their owners and administration have been acting irresponsibly for years and that needs to change.

Is that the biggest issue though? It seems to me the biggest issue is most of these clubs like an incredible number of companies up and down the country live week to week and the drying up of cashflow through the gate is crippling for them. They're not run completely responsibly, but that's because in a lot of cases they're owned by people who have no expectation of making a profit and are just in it for the love of the game/team. I'm not sure if you took the owner subsidy away from many of these clubs they'd be in any better position coming into this crisis to deal with it - they may have been paying their players less, but they'd still be skint and the gate money would have still fucked them. 

As for the owners tests, I feel sorry for the EFL in these situations. It's really tough for them and I'm not certain it's as easy to identify as it is with hindsight. 

Personally I think if the government want the PL clubs to help the lower League clubs, if the government is as ready to help as dowden has been telling us all this morning, if they're as crucial to their local communities as he told us and it's acknowledged how clubs helped people through this very crisis, well the government can put their money where their mouth is. And maybe that needs incentivising in someway, if a PL club contributes £Xm to the EFL, there's some sort of tax break, gift aid equivalent or whatever. And as I mentioned before, all top clubs should be encouraged to get their furlough dough and funnel it down the league. 

2 hours ago, rubble-rouser said:

Tyler had the nerve to say that premier league clubs were struggling financially too, ten minutes after saying that arsenal had flown up for the game and we’re flying up again later I. The week.

I’m sure we’d do the same. It’s indefensible.

Should have stayed in the Lord Nelson for a few days. 

• Like 1