You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

1 hour ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Van Basten. Di Stefano. Romario. Ronaldo(Brazil) . Behind Henry? That’s me out Clive.

I thinks Romario is behind all the others named above (maybe even Clive). Yes he scored a lot of goals, and yes he was instrumental in helping a functional Brazil team win the 1994 World Cup, but he had long spells in his career where he wasn't arsed and just fell out with teammates and managers. He would have been absolutely awesome if he'd shown a bit more professionalism at times, because ability-wise he was unreal.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

Henry is a better player, but the fact he's remembered as an arsenal player for me says his career is behind Rooney's. Internationally arsenal are nobody. 

Is that a joke, 

Rooney is more recognised than a guy that won every single trophy with all the club teams he played for and every trophy with his national team. 

I'm presuming he won ligue 1. Serie A, la liga, premier league, champions league . Fa Cup, league Cup for his clubs

Internationally he won the European Cup and the world cup. 

Yet somehow Rooney will be remembered ahead of him....... 

28 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

Is that a joke, 

Rooney is more recognised than a guy that won every single trophy with all the club teams he played for and every trophy with his national team. 

I'm presuming he won ligue 1. Serie A, la liga, premier league, champions league . Fa Cup, league Cup for his clubs

Internationally he won the European Cup and the world cup. 

Yet somehow Rooney will be remembered ahead of him....... 

As I said before I can see why people would put Henry ahead. Btw, he never won serie a. But as a club footballer, his pinnacle was fucking arsenal - he was a boy at Monaco, a failure at juve and Barca was a footnote when he was passed his prime. 

2 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

As I said before I can see why people would put Henry ahead. Btw, he never won serie a. But as a club footballer, his pinnacle was fucking arsenal - he was a boy at Monaco, a failure at juve and Barca was a footnote when he was passed his prime. 

The Arsenal side he was in went unbeaten for a whole season when they won another league. He then went to Barca and won the European Cup in a treble season. Weird drum to be banging here mate. 

43 minutes ago, Trumo said:

I thinks Romario is behind all the others named above (maybe even Clive). Yes he scored a lot of goals, and yes he was instrumental in helping a functional Brazil team win the 1994 World Cup, but he had long spells in his career where he wasn't arsed and just fell out with teammates and managers. He would have been absolutely awesome if he'd shown a bit more professionalism at times, because ability-wise he was unreal.

Goals goals goals though. And more goals. Plus goals.

Guest Alex_K

Rooney was a very different player to Henry — got involved with the play a lot deeper, harried more, better passer of the ball. The irony of Rooney is he is an all time top goal scorer who frequently was not a good goal scorer. He’d go for large periods completely out of scoring form. When he was on it he was a colossus though. He was probably let down by the lack of investment into United after Ronaldo moved on .. he went quite literally from playing with Tevez/Ronaldo to old-man-Owen/Obertan. Hence the City/Chelsea overtures in the early 10s.

Rooney’s ability compared to his prime fell off even more drastically than Gerrard’s though, which is saying something. Both players relied so heavily upon their physicality that they diminished vs quickly in their latter years vs continental counterparts like Raul, Pirlo etc who hung around at a higher level for longer 

11 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

The Arsenal side he was in went unbeaten for a whole season when they won another league. He then went to Barca and won the European Cup in a treble season. Weird drum to be banging here mate. 

I'm not saying Henry didn't have a great career too, because he clearly did. I'm pretty sure if you asked most football fans in the world would you prefer your career took you arsenal's leading goalscorer or man United's , 99% would go with man united, probably 25% would say "who are arsenal". To mitigate arsenal's nothingness as a club, he did play for Barca in a incredible Barca team, but he was a long way from being the star - in fact his importance to them was probably not much above what milner is for us. 

The whole point of where this discussion started was I said to Howie that I believed not only did Rooney have a great career, he was more than just a good career for an Englishman. Once you become the leading scorer at one of the world's super clubs it elevates your career to another level imo and an individual achievement at a super club like that for me makes it an international recognised level of achievement. 

6 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

I'm not saying Henry didn't have a great career too, because he clearly did. I'm pretty sure if you asked most football fans in the world would you prefer your career took you arsenal's leading goalscorer or man United's , 99% would go with man united, probably 25% would say "who are arsenal". To mitigate arsenal's nothingness as a club, he did play for Barca in a incredible Barca team, but he was a long way from being the star - in fact his importance to them was probably not much above what milner is for us. 

The whole point of where this discussion started was I said to Howie that I believed not only did Rooney have a great career, he was more than just a good career for an Englishman. Once you become the leading scorer at one of the world's super clubs it elevates your career to another level imo and an individual achievement at a super club like that for me makes it an international recognised level of achievement. 

What? 

1 hour ago, The Gaul said:

The whole point of where this discussion started was I said to Howie that I believed not only did Rooney have a great career, he was more than just a good career for an Englishman. 

Yea man - so he may have had a top 20 career for an Englishman. Which as i pointed out is probably a top 200 career in the world. Do you have him behind Shearer? 

51 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

I'm pretty sure he is. I might be wrong about that, bit I seem to remember he took it off Wright and Wright was made up

He took it off him after about 6 years 

54 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

Arsenal are absolutely nobody outside of this country or countries where it's all about the premier league. 

United have won the big wig three times pal - same as Inter, one less than Ajax, one more than Porto and Forest.

Their popularity is based on a great run in SkySports England. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Yea man - so he may have had a top 20 career for an Englishman. Which as i pointed out is probably a top 200 career in the world. Do you have him behind Shearer? 

He took it off him after about 6 years 

United have won the big wig three times pal - same as Inter, one less than Ajax, one more than Porto and Forest.

Their popularity is based on a great run in SkySports England. 

Not sure what your shearer point is trying to make. 

And you're kidding yourself if you think man united are only big in England. If it makes you feel better, fine. But they are massive internationally. 

Well my point is Shearer was better - and it turns out I know how big they are internationally. 

And of course - a top 200 career is a great achievement. But he is demonstrably a good few steps below what you have been trying to portray. The quality of footballers you are trying to hold him up to is ridiculous.

To close it - he spent the better part of his last three seasons clogging up United and Englands quality while he achieved the records you have hung this discussion on.

I will go out with this summary of his England career, after I point out that nearly a third of his international goals came in friendlies - straight from the wikimouth:

On 15 November 2014, Rooney won his 100th England cap against Slovenia in a Euro 2016 qualifying match, scoring a penalty to equalise in a 3–1 win.[291] In another qualifier away to the same opponents on 14 June 2015, Rooney scored the winner with four minutes remaining for a 3–2 victory, his 48th international goal putting him joint second in England's list alongside Gary Lineker, and one behind Bobby Charlton.[292] In his 106th England appearance, he equalled Charlton's record of 49 goals (also in 106 matches) on 5 September 2015 by scoring a penalty against San Marino.

Some absolute shite written here in the last few pages.  Rooney between 18 and 24 was a better player than nearly everyone on that United list put up.  He probably had the most natural talent out of the lot of them.  His drinking, smoking and obvious lack of appetite for the game clearly turned him overweight and lazy.  His sharpness completely went and he was a shadow of the player he was in his early years.  The second half of his career was completely stage managed with every manager he had apart from Ferguson being scared of him.  It’s the reason he ended up breaking all those goal scoring records.  It’s nonsense to use those stats as some sort of defence for him because most of those England goals were against shit opposition and the United goals were basically irrelevant and gifts for him like the actual appearances.

Henry is probably on a par with Ronaldo and Suarez as the best players to have played in the premier league.  Rooney isn’t on that level.

1 hour ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Agree with half of that, if you mean the list I put up who is he better than as a player out of the attacking players? 

Ability wise, Best, Law, Charlton, Cantona, and Ronaldo, obviously.

Edit, misread your post. The above players were comfortably better than Rooney, excellent player that he was.

All-time Manchester United XI 

Schmeichel 

Neville Ferdinand Stam Irwin

Scholes Keane Giggs

Best Law Charlton

Cantona, Robson and Ronaldo very unlucky to miss out. If Ronaldo had stayed at United for a season or two longer, he would be a shoo-in. 

Older Man United fans may pick Tony Dunne at left-back. United fans from my granddad’s generation would probably have argued Johnny Carey and Roger Byrne’s cases for inclusion at right and left-back. Duncan Edwards, too, of course.

• Upvote 1

Guest Alex_K

Rooney was better than Cantona. Cantona was totemic of United’s revival into a global force but objectively he doesn’t compete. You just need to compare them as individuals statistically & the relative performance of the teams they were in across all competitions. Cantona’s United team were beaten pillar-to-post in Europe in a Rodgersque fashion; he hardly scored and the team pushed to new heights when he wasn’t in it. Clearly he was a very good player but he is romanticised. 

Early-mid 90s was the weakest variation of the Premier League; mid-late 00s was the strongest.