You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

28 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

They could compress the CL like they're doing this season. I think the bigger issue is who's qualifying for it - they're talking about a start in October, but when will the July rounds happen? Personally I reckon they should just got right to the group stages basing qualifying results on coefficients and allow everyone else to play in a 3rd competition or sit the season out. 

You are right, the qualifiers are a sticking point as well. Is there 3 rounds? So some clubs have to play 6 games before October to qualify? IMO, coefficients isn’t fair and sides in lesser countries could potentially go without the riches they feel they’d have got in the group stages. 

Compressing the latter stages would be a decent idea, but that again requires all leagues to be completed at the same time, probably earlier than 15/5. 

Personally, I like that idea (especially if we’d be at home with a full crowd) but again, it’s it feasible? Say we got to the final, we’d potentially lose gate receipts and sponsorship from the home games, would we (or any other club) accept that if there isn’t unprecedented circumstances? 

If it were to be held at neutral country, would that country want all the Supporters coming over? 

I don’t know the answers but it’s certainly a complicated situation. Fucking off internationals for a year, cancelling the Euros and allowing more time to complete the club calendars would be my choice, although I realise there is 0% chance of that happening. 

5 hours ago, Scott_M said:

You are right, the qualifiers are a sticking point as well. Is there 3 rounds? So some clubs have to play 6 games before October to qualify? IMO, coefficients isn’t fair and sides in lesser countries could potentially go without the riches they feel they’d have got in the group stages. 

Compressing the latter stages would be a decent idea, but that again requires all leagues to be completed at the same time, probably earlier than 15/5. 

Personally, I like that idea (especially if we’d be at home with a full crowd) but again, it’s it feasible? Say we got to the final, we’d potentially lose gate receipts and sponsorship from the home games, would we (or any other club) accept that if there isn’t unprecedented circumstances? 

If it were to be held at neutral country, would that country want all the Supporters coming over? 

I don’t know the answers but it’s certainly a complicated situation. Fucking off internationals for a year, cancelling the Euros and allowing more time to complete the club calendars would be my choice, although I realise there is 0% chance of that happening. 

Yeah, I think it's 3 qualifying rounds, or it was in 2005! Imagine if they ran everything including the groups like a world cup. Give them all of may to run it in. That would give leagues 7 months - oct-april to play their games. Is there anywhere with more than 38 games? That'd be about 6 or 7 games per month if you wanted a domestic cup. There'd be no need for international friendlies. And if you're stupid like this country and have 2 domestic cups, play it in September instead of pre-season friendlies with friendly rules over subs. 

Apparently the Norwich player who tested positive has had another test done by the club doctor and shows nagative. Best of 3 it is then!

In other news, Guardiola claims city are 'not ready' for the re start. He's either being less than truthful else what have his players been doing, hoping for null and void?

3 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Apparently the Norwich player who tested positive has had another test done by the club doctor and shows nagative. Best of 3 it is then!

In other news, Guardiola claims city are 'not ready' for the re start. He's either being less than truthful else what have his players been doing, hoping for null and void?

In fairness to the fella, think he lost a parent to the virus. Say he wasn't at the races for a few weeks and it probably impacted the rest of the club.

5 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

I've said all along, his players just can't be arsed finishing the season off. Hopefully it'll give Madrid the chance to pull them back when the CL returns. 

Love the way when people now talk about the league coming back they talk about the excitement of the top four being up for grabs and the relegation issue to be settled but the title barely gets a mention as it’s a done deal and all over.
Yet for the past couple of months certain individuals like Ferdinand, Waddle, Joe Cole and others saw a killer pandemic as a chance to stop a team of winning what they’ve rightly deserved .

i hope when it’s all over they call the cunts out over their shameful agenda driven jealousy but you know they won’t 

• Upvote 2

Hahaha, you couldnt make this shit up! Apparently some PL team's bosses think their oppos have been holding covert training sessions because players at other clubs seem fitter than theirs.

No doubt the bosses of teams such as Villa, Brighton, West Ham, Watford etc are some of the ones coming out with this shit because they pinned their colours to the null and void tree and havent made certain their players stuck to their training plans.

Im guessing those teams that arent 'as fit' are the ones where Murray, Deeney etc spent so much time appearing on SSN and elsewhere saying call it off etc! Reap what you sow, you cunts.

Deadspin has a sobering take on the return of the Premier League and a hilarious one on Liverpool's place in it:

Should England Be Starting The Premier League Again?

Probably not. Though both Italy and Spain were horrifically ravaged by the coronavirus in the spring, thanks to severe lockdowns and ramped up testing, both countries were able to get their rate of new cases down to the low hundreds per day at the moment. Which makes opening up their respective leagues feel...well, less insane.

The U.K. on the other hand, thanks to being run by human thumb-in-his-ass Boris Johnson and his Tory party, is nowhere near that. The UK is testing about a third of the people per capita that Italy is, and is even behind the balloon-handed U.S. in testing. Whereas Spain and Italy have their daily new cases count between 200-400 at the moment, the UK is still at 1,000. The UK has also passed those countries in deaths, topping 40,000, the most in Europe, just behind Brazil even though the latter has three times the population. And is also Brazil.

This was a country that originally thought it could fight coronavirus through herd immunity, remember.

Still, they’re going to plow ahead, with most of the protocols you’ve seen elsewhere. Players and staff are tested twice a week, there will be social distancing on the benches and buses and dressing rooms, no ball boys, though players and coaches will not be required to wear masks on the bench and sidelines as they are in Germany.

Though just two days ago, a Norwich player tested positive, which only requires a seven-day quarantine for him individually. Which hardly feels like a thorough enough process, but the general consensus is...hey look over there! (smoke bomb)

So yeah, there’s every chance that the Premier League could be the one of the Big Four still playing that doesn’t finish after attempting to do so (France canceled its league altogether).

Is There A Title Race?

Fuck and no. Not even a whiff of one. Less of one than there’s ever been, in fact.

Liverpool have had the title wrapped up since about Christmas, and arguably since November when they beat City 3-1 at home to move nine points clear at the top. They’re currently 25 points clear, which for the uninformed is just about equivalent to standing on opposite sides of Yellowstone Park from your nearest competitor. No one can even see Liverpool grabbing their junk in triumph and taunt. They could clinch the title as soon as Sunday, if City were to lose on Wednesday to Arsenal. Likely, it will take no longer than next Wednesday when Liverpool hosts Crystal Palace.

The only mystery for Liverpool is if they can beat City’s record of 100 points in a season or largest title-winning gap (19 points). How determined they are to do that is up for question, though they won’t have anything else to do. But they’ll also want to give some of their young players more of a run than they’ve gotten just to see what they have for next season, whenever that is. About the only thing to watch is how Las Vegas-distilled-into-one-body Jurgen Klopp balances that.

8 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Hahaha, you couldnt make this shit up! Apparently some PL team's bosses think their oppos have been holding covert training sessions because players at other clubs seem fitter than theirs.

Maybe during lockdown some players kept to their training schedules (or did extra) and some just sat about tossing it off hoping for null & void?

We could certainly have done extra sessions at Kirkby but I'd assume we have one if the fittest bunch of players anyway.

I see Ronaldo went back to Juventus fitter than he left. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

I see Ronaldo went back to Juventus fitter than he left. 

People hate him, but he lives the life to the nth degree.

Could be an educational video to be made for young footballers , highlighting the fact that Rooney and Ronaldo were considered similar talents at one point.

4 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Could be an educational video to be made for young footballers , highlighting the fact that Rooney and Ronaldo were considered similar talents at one point.

He's the ultimate example of a professional. 

• Upvote 1

Messi is infinitely more gifted and talented than Ronaldo, so for Ronaldo to have even made it a debate says everything about the incredible work ethic and determination to succeed he has.

It might actually be unrivalled. He makes Milner look like Neil Ruddock.

• Upvote 3

I'm pretty sure I heard someone on the radio the other day saying their entire squad went back fitter, maybe it was Burnley. When you think of the injuries players are carrying by the spring, how thick and fast games come so there's more.recovery days and less training days, it's not real surprise if they're in better shape now. 

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

To be fair, Rooney had a very good career as well.

Maybe Ronaldo and Ravel Morrison. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, The Gaul said:

I'm pretty sure I heard someone on the radio the other day saying their entire squad went back fitter, maybe it was Burnley. When you think of the injuries players are carrying by the spring, how thick and fast games come so there's more.recovery days and less training days, it's not real surprise if they're in better shape now. 

Does that mean they are on the PED's too?