You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

And the next round of objections to be raised, with Brighton once again appearing at the forefront of objections now the resumption of the league is in sight, are:

The Premier League are facing dissent from several clubs over a number of proposed rule changes for the resumption of the season.

Sportsmail has learned that plans to increase the number of substitutes from three to five, to allow clubs to re-register players not named in their 25-man squads in January and to introduce a multi-ball system all have detractors.

There is also unhappiness at some clubs about the Premier League's unwillingness to reconsider the use of VAR, which FIFA ruled last month could be abandoned for the rest of the campaign.

These issues are likely to lead to a fierce debate at Thursday's meeting of club executives, ahead of a formal vote on any rule changes next week. Each change would need 14 of the 20 clubs in favour to pass. 

Many clubs support increasing substitutions to five due to injury fears in a congested schedule after a lengthy break, with Chelsea submitting a proposal to increase the number of substitutes on the bench from seven to nine, as revealed by Sportsmail on Monday. 

But several other clubs argue making such a major change mid-season would damage the competition's integrity, while those with smaller squads feel they would be at a disadvantage.

Managers who pride themselves on their players' fitness and work ethic are also concerned at losing such advantages. Brighton coach Graham Potter went public with his opposition last month and many relegation-threatened clubs agree.

Aston Villa would be obvious beneficiaries of allowing clubs to re-register players. 

Goalkeeper Tom Heaton and striker Wesley were originally omitted due to knee injuries, but may now be fit to play. 

Villa's relegation rivals are likely to oppose such a move, however, and could be joined by clubs who are still to face Smith's side, such as Wolves and Manchester United who are chasing European football next season.

Some clubs feel the multi-ball proposal will deny players the time to recover from fatigue when the ball is out of play, which is particularly problematic with games being played in the middle of summer.

The rationale is to limit lengthy stoppages when the ball is kicked into empty stands.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8378005/Plans-increase-subs-five-register-players-lead-dissent-Premier-League-ranks.html

I despise VAR but scrapping it now would be an absolute farce. The season started with it, it should finish with it. And if it gets scrapped after that, I'll shed no tears. But I can't understand any club calling for it to not be used for the rest of the season. Makes no sense to me.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, dave u said:

This nice weather persuaded me to buy myself a Michael Jordan red bulls jersey. Been wearing it in the garden and it's not especially flattering. I still don't look as bad as Luke Shaw in that vest though.

Someone's been watching The Last Dance...

27 minutes ago, dave u said:

They should do. First title in 30 years, people will want to have the shirt. 

You can imagine they definitely will. They had all the European Champions stuff out within a week last summer. Not like the last time where they didn't make enough.

56 minutes ago, dave u said:

This nice weather persuaded me to buy myself a Michael Jordan red bulls jersey. Been wearing it in the garden and it's not especially flattering. I still don't look as bad as Luke Shaw in that vest though.

Aah the weather made you buy it. 

Despite completely seeing why 5 subs would be used, it quite clearly does favour the bigger clubs.

There don’t appear any issues in Germany with VAR.

Multiball obviously makes sense. It’s a ridiculous suggest otherwise. 

1 hour ago, dave u said:

More like this I bet:

BriefAdeptBunting-max-1mb.gif

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Elite said:

Someone's been watching The Last Dance...

I bought a Pippen one too, he was always my boy over Jordan. I had a Pippen one back in the 90s that I bought in Florida. Lasted years but eventually got ruined in the wash. The Last Dance combined with the hot weather inspired me tp splash out on them. That and the fact we bought Adrianna a netball hoop for the back garden and I wanted to see if I 'still had it'.

Not even kidding, when I put the MJ jersey on I was hitting shots from all over the garden. I told Adrianna the jersey must have special powers but she says it's all in my head and because I think I'm Jordan I'm playing like him. I'm still undecided, I think it's the jersey. 

Still can't dunk though, even with the net set at 8ft.

Imagine being able to dunk a basketball into a 10ft high hoop though. Blows my mind that there are actual human beings my height and smaller who can do that.

Would you rather be able to dunk a basketball or hit a 300yd drive?

The 300yd drive would be way more useful to me, but I'd go with the dunk because I'd just constantly be showing off with that shit. I mean look at this. This little fella is 5ft 7 for fucks sake...

12 hours ago, dave u said:

I despise VAR but scrapping it now would be an absolute farce. The season started with it, it should finish with it. And if it gets scrapped after that, I'll shed no tears. But I can't understand any club calling for it to not be used for the rest of the season. Makes no sense to me.

I couldn't give a flying fuck if it's used or not. But what possible reason could they use it as a reason not to restart? 

10 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Despite completely seeing why 5 subs would be used, it quite clearly does favour the bigger clubs.

There don’t appear any issues in Germany with VAR.

Multiball obviously makes sense. It’s a ridiculous suggest otherwise. 

Does it favour the bigger clubs? City have 2 proper teams, but nobody else really does. The drop off between Brighton's best player to worst player is nothing because they're all shite. For 7 of the top 8 clubs as soon as they change one player the team is miles worse. The slight exception is our midfield. We don't even always make 3 subs because our bench is so thin and rhythm is so crucial to what we do subs aren't always helpful. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Barry Wom said:

Does it favour the bigger clubs? City have 2 proper teams, but nobody else really does. The drop off between Brighton's best player to worst player is nothing because they're all shite. For 7 of the top 8 clubs as soon as they change one player the team is miles worse. The slight exception is our midfield. We don't even always make 3 subs because our bench is so thin and rhythm is so crucial to what we do subs aren't always helpful. 

Yes. In general, the bigger clubs have bigger squads, with more internationals and therefore more quality players.

We could probably have a bench of 9 players, which would have 7+ seasoned  international / CL quality players. 

Teams down the bottom wouldn’t have that quality.

I don’t even see how it’s a debate.