You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

1 hour ago, Jimmy Hills Chin said:

I reckon Everton will go all out to win their first 2 games next season and then call for a lockdown and ppg. Best chance they’ll ever have of winning the league.

I think we can all spot the flaw in that plan.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Scott_M said:

If the Premiership makes it clear that it needs to restart 20/21 in September, it’ll go 2 ways...

1) Clubs get their arses in gear, stop complaining & get on with it.

2) The bottom clubs attempt to drag it on further knowing there will now be a clear end date. 

I hope it’s option 1 and if shops etc are opening from 15/6, I don’t think the bottom clubs can make any more excuses. 

To be honest, I’ve no issue with a date being set to start next season. If it’s 12/9, only missing 4/5 match days, so can be caught up relatively quickly (no EFL Cup, less international breaks, an extra mid-week round or two). 

UEFA haven’t really helped by saying the Euro’s won’t move again. 

I assume if there is no be another outbreak, they will talk about another suspension and what to do in the meeting tomorrow. 

If Liverpool have won two games by then, the title will be mathematically won so surely they are far more likely in the event of abandoning the season to allow it to be finished via simulation.

7 minutes ago, S.i.t.M aka The Boring One™ said:

If Liverpool have won two games by then, the title will be mathematically won so surely they are far more likely in the event of abandoning the season to allow it to be finished via simulation.

I don't think any of the clubs believe we won't win/deserve the title, muppet fans are a dime a dozen.

I do think there are a number of clubs who have a lot to lose/gain over 9 games and PPG is not ideal. 

The season's integrity has already gone. Apparently.

Troy Deeney, the Watford captain, has said the integrity of this season is “already gone” as he revealed the abuse directed at him and his family because of his vocal opposition to the Premier League’s Project Restart plan.

Deeney has been outspoken about his fears over the return to action, saying earlier this month that he would rather be broke than put his family at risk.

He has now said he feels sorry for Liverpool because this season will forever be known for the coronavirus pandemic and because he believes the crisis has stripped the competition of its integrity.

The 31-year-old refused to return to Phase One training last week and, along with Newcastle United defender Danny Rose, has been among the few players willing to go public with their concerns over the attempts to resume the season.

“Danny Rose spoke out, and I spoke out and we just get absolutely hammered and battered for it,” Deeney said in an interview with CNN. “It's not just us that gets it. My missus gets direct messages, and you'll be walking down the street and people will be like: 'Oh, I'm at work, you go back to work.'

“And I’ll be like: ‘I didn’t make you go back to work.’ I saw some comments in regards to my son, people saying: 'I hope your son gets corona[virus].’, That's the hard part for me.”

Asked whether the integrity of the Premier League will be jeopardised if more players test positive for coronavirus, Deeney added: “I believe personally that when it comes to the integrity of this season anyway, it's already gone.

“I feel sorry for Liverpool. No matter how it plays out, they deserve to win the league. They deserve to get the trophy [but] even if we play all the games, it's still going to be the year about the pandemic. It's not going to be that year that Liverpool won the league being the best team.”

Deeney did, however, indicate that he has been reassured by conversations with Jonathan Van-Tam, the deputy chief medical officer. Van-Tam addressed the BAME players’ advisory group on Friday, with Deeney involved in the call.

“My concerns were purely for family reasons,” said Deeney. “I have a five-month-old son who's got breathing difficulties. I've been fortunate enough to speak to Professor Jonathan van Tam, who works with the government.

“He's been doing very, very good research and a lot of good will on his part to tell me, ultimately, that I'm going to be looked after as best as they can. And ultimately there is going to be some form of risk for all of us going back to work.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/05/27/troy-deeney-says-season-integrity-has-already-gone-people/

Yeah well no sane person would wish you or your kid \ family harm. The morons saying they hope you \ your family get the virus are the say blow hards saying 'justice for the 41' and 'it's only Liverpool fans putting the re start ahead of people dieing.' In other words, the fucking mongs in society who seem to run the show nowadays.

As for his the integrity is gone, is this year suddenly worthless in any respect because of the virus? Are all sporting ocassions now stripped of sporting integrity or is it just football or perhaps, this season's premier League that has been stripped and horse racing, athletics etc havent?

I dont like the sound of the comments directed towards Deeney , but also think that if he had simply said that he had a child in the more dangerous category and wanted to avoid taking any chances with his health he would have avoided the great majority of the opprobrium.

It sounds like some of the criticism Deeney has received is unfair and very very ugly, but why did he stick his head above the parapet and then not tell the full story?  If you're tempted to go public with your concerns make sure you explain them properly unless you're happy to be criticised or have your integrity questioned.  Otherwise keep your mouth shut in public. 

Guest Alex_K

What's Deeney doing walking down any streets? Thought he was hell bent on self-isolating? Strong whiff of bullshit to that blag merchant - online stick I can believe as its troll-culture, but as if this kind of exchange is happening on locked-down streets in Watford. The only people that would even recognise him would be his own fans:

"You'll be walking down the street and people will be like: 'Oh, I'm at work, you go back to work."

I see Troy has now said him staying away from training was only for the first week. I guess he didn’t get the backing he was a looking for last week but then again I thought he was prepared to go broke 

Watford captain Deeney will return to training having stayed away thus far, after having his fears allayed by the Government’s deputy chief medical officer Jonathan van Tam

“I only said that I wasn’t going back for the first week, Deeney told CNN Sport. “People took that as I’ll never go back.”

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/troy-deeney-return-watford-training-22097493.amp?__twitter_impression=true

1 hour ago, Stickman said:

“I only said that I wasn’t going back for the first week, Deeney told CNN Sport. “People took that as I’ll never go back.”

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/troy-deeney-return-watford-training-22097493.amp?__twitter_impression=true

I wonder how they got that impression. 

• Upvote 1

The season will only ever be remembered as the one with corona virus. True but if they do think of football nobody will ever forget that Liverpool were 25 points ahead in the league before the virus hit, the biggest lead in football history. So the side won't get the glory that comes with winning the title but at least these lads will always be remembered for pissing all over the rest of the league while they could. It's another story for a club rich with them good and bad. We will get the trophy nobody will ever forget the story.

In the end there's more important shit than football and there's definitely more important shit than giving a fuck what other fans think.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

The season will only ever be remembered as the one with corona virus. True but if they do think of football nobody will ever forget that Liverpool were 25 points ahead in the league before the virus hit, the biggest lead in football history. So the side won't get the glory that comes with winning the title but at least these lads will always be remembered for pissing all over the rest of the league while they could. It's another story for a club rich with them good and bad. We will get the trophy nobody will ever forget the story.

In the end there's more important shit than football and there's definitely more important shit than giving a fuck what other fans think.

Horrendous virus aside, I’ll still remember this season for the ridiculous level that our players reached and I am the person that I’m most arsed about with regard to football. Don’t need pity, just sort the title out.

Don't care what anyone else thinks, it will still mean the same and the three month break we had will make it more sweet because it looked like we would be denied our moment. Only downside is not getting the trophy inside a packed Anfield and the parade which will happen at some point I'm sure. 

10 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

The season's integrity has already gone. Apparently.

Troy Deeney, the Watford captain, has said the integrity of this season is “already gone” as he revealed the abuse directed at him and his family because of his vocal opposition to the Premier League’s Project Restart plan.

Deeney has been outspoken about his fears over the return to action, saying earlier this month that he would rather be broke than put his family at risk.

He has now said he feels sorry for Liverpool because this season will forever be known for the coronavirus pandemic and because he believes the crisis has stripped the competition of its integrity.

The 31-year-old refused to return to Phase One training last week and, along with Newcastle United defender Danny Rose, has been among the few players willing to go public with their concerns over the attempts to resume the season.

“Danny Rose spoke out, and I spoke out and we just get absolutely hammered and battered for it,” Deeney said in an interview with CNN. “It's not just us that gets it. My missus gets direct messages, and you'll be walking down the street and people will be like: 'Oh, I'm at work, you go back to work.'

“And I’ll be like: ‘I didn’t make you go back to work.’ I saw some comments in regards to my son, people saying: 'I hope your son gets corona[virus].’, That's the hard part for me.”

Asked whether the integrity of the Premier League will be jeopardised if more players test positive for coronavirus, Deeney added: “I believe personally that when it comes to the integrity of this season anyway, it's already gone.

“I feel sorry for Liverpool. No matter how it plays out, they deserve to win the league. They deserve to get the trophy [but] even if we play all the games, it's still going to be the year about the pandemic. It's not going to be that year that Liverpool won the league being the best team.”

Deeney did, however, indicate that he has been reassured by conversations with Jonathan Van-Tam, the deputy chief medical officer. Van-Tam addressed the BAME players’ advisory group on Friday, with Deeney involved in the call.

“My concerns were purely for family reasons,” said Deeney. “I have a five-month-old son who's got breathing difficulties. I've been fortunate enough to speak to Professor Jonathan van Tam, who works with the government.

“He's been doing very, very good research and a lot of good will on his part to tell me, ultimately, that I'm going to be looked after as best as they can. And ultimately there is going to be some form of risk for all of us going back to work.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/05/27/troy-deeney-says-season-integrity-has-already-gone-people/

Yeah well no sane person would wish you or your kid \ family harm. The morons saying they hope you \ your family get the virus are the say blow hards saying 'justice for the 41' and 'it's only Liverpool fans putting the re start ahead of people dieing.' In other words, the fucking mongs in society who seem to run the show nowadays.

As for his the integrity is gone, is this year suddenly worthless in any respect because of the virus? Are all sporting ocassions now stripped of sporting integrity or is it just football or perhaps, this season's premier League that has been stripped and horse racing, athletics etc havent?

No need for people giving him and his family abuse. 

As for the integrity.... we are 25 points clear. We have won it by being the best team. If we were 8 points clear... maybe you can say ok we were handed it if it went to PPG but fucking hell. Wankers 

All that matters is the wall of champions goes from 18 to 19 and the history books shoe the champions of England for 2020 was Liverpool. I'm not arsed what anyone else says especially some bitter cunts. 

We'll win it again next season as well. The players have had a long break now and will be wanting to win it again in normal circumstances. 

• Upvote 1

So deeney now is ok to return to training? Have the club asked him to sit at home without pay? Everyone knew these fellas would be working in one of the safest, most sterile working environments. We all knew there's always a risk without vaccine. I'm assuming his kids condition hasn't changed. Clearly something has. 

17 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

So deeney now is ok to return to training? Have the club asked him to sit at home without pay? Everyone knew these fellas would be working in one of the safest, most sterile working environments. We all knew there's always a risk without vaccine. I'm assuming his kids condition hasn't changed. Clearly something has. 

More likely they have contacted him and said the plan hasn't worked, we have gained no traction at all, get your boots ready we are going to need to get the points on a football pitch.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Stickman said:

I see Troy has now said him staying away from training was only for the first week. I guess he didn’t get the backing he was a looking for last week but then again I thought he was prepared to go broke 

Watford captain Deeney will return to training having stayed away thus far, after having his fears allayed by the Government’s deputy chief medical officer Jonathan van Tam

Wait, what? That's the first Ive heard of him saying it was only the first week he was going to miss. Maybe he had to just miss the first week because of all the interviews he was doing saying he wasnt re starting, there was too much risk, he'd rather be broke, if you cannot get straight answers to simple questions etc, etc, etc.

I keep saying it, if Deeney or any other player doesnt want to play, dont play. Perfectly understandable given the situation.

The issue I have with Deeney is his rowback and now saying he only ever meant the first week.

As for his comment about the league's 'integrity' has gone, I think the only integrity that has been shot to pieces, is his.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3