You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

If the Premiership makes it clear that it needs to restart 20/21 in September, it’ll go 2 ways...

1) Clubs get their arses in gear, stop complaining & get on with it.

2) The bottom clubs attempt to drag it on further knowing there will now be a clear end date. 

I hope it’s option 1 and if shops etc are opening from 15/6, I don’t think the bottom clubs can make any more excuses. 

To be honest, I’ve no issue with a date being set to start next season. If it’s 12/9, only missing 4/5 match days, so can be caught up relatively quickly (no EFL Cup, less international breaks, an extra mid-week round or two). 

UEFA haven’t really helped by saying the Euro’s won’t move again. 

I assume if there is no be another outbreak, they will talk about another suspension and what to do in the meeting tomorrow. 

9 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Premier League to tell clubs 2020 \ 21 league season must start no later than 12 September meaning if there is a 2nd suspension of the league, the current campaign may not be completed to allow a pre season break.

This will be Gold for the cheats at the bottom, they will be pulling every trick in the book and will make it impossible to complete knowing that they have a clear date to work to. PPG now.

54 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

If the Premiership makes it clear that it needs to restart 20/21 in September, it’ll go 2 ways...

1) Clubs get their arses in gear, stop complaining & get on with it.

2) The bottom clubs attempt to drag it on further knowing there will now be a clear end date. 

I hope it’s option 1 and if shops etc are opening from 15/6, I don’t think the bottom clubs can make any more excuses. 

To be honest, I’ve no issue with a date being set to start next season. If it’s 12/9, only missing 4/5 match days, so can be caught up relatively quickly (no EFL Cup, less international breaks, an extra mid-week round or two). 

UEFA haven’t really helped by saying the Euro’s won’t move again. 

I assume if there is no be another outbreak, they will talk about another suspension and what to do in the meeting tomorrow. 

Agree. My money is on option 2.

If there's a further outbreak or 'wave' before this season is completed, the PL's stated start for next season will make it impossible for this one to be completed. If it happens towards the end of this year, goodness knows what will happen.

While it's a bit daft to try and protect next season over this season, I get the PL trying to put a hard and fast date down.  They will be trying to protect FA Cup weekends and international breaks next year and all that no doubt too and so want this season done.

However if there is a second spike and this season is ended, then that spike will threaten next season.  And if next season doesn't start then football as we know it is in real trouble.  And while many will say "good, it's shite" to that, the billionaires getting a hit is 0.1% of the overall issue.  There is a huge human consequence to a club going out of business.  Imagine Liverpool going out of business?  Think of all the little businesses that would disappear to: The chippy vans, hats, scarves & badges sellers, unofficial merch sellers, hotels and B&Bs, ground staff at Liverpool Airport for the busy weekend traffic of fans travelling, coach companies for away games, etc, etc.  The list is endless of middle to lower income jobs relying on clubs, big and small.  

This could be the defining time for football.  We need to be careful before we cheer the end of multi-million pound entities. 

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

This will be Gold for the cheats at the bottom, they will be pulling every trick in the book and will make it impossible to complete knowing that they have a clear date to work to. PPG now.

7 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Agree. My money is on option 2.

If there's a further outbreak or 'wave' before this season is completed, the PL's stated start for next season will make it impossible for this one to be completed. If it happens towards the end of this year, goodness knows what will happen.

The problem with the idea that the "bottom clubs will be pulling every trick in the book" is that we know for certain now that the season is ending either on the pitch or PPG.  So if it ends by PPG then the bottom 6 already know who goes down, so 3 will be trying to not have it end that way, and 3 will be happy for it to end that way.   So even then we've got counter views.  

We as Liverpool fans would rather it was ended on the pitch and all games were played, so I think we're over thinking this.  No club is going to start pulling tricks and cons to get the season ended because they'd get caught.  In this modern age nothing major can be kept secret. And also, bar that West Ham lot, the bottom 6 aren't going to act like that I don't think.

I don't even know what tricks people think they could pull?

7 minutes ago, RobbieOR said:

Football will be back up and running in a few weeks, all of the indicators over the past few days are towards that. We'll be back in contact training tomorrow.

Yep.  I think we as a fan base are overthinking this and reaching for conspiracy theories.  

Germany has started.  Spain and Italy will start soon.  If England is the only big league not to start up then it will be extremely embarrassing for the FA, PL and the clubs.  All the stories coming from the clubs now are positive. Even the ones with genuine issues like Kante are quiet and being respected. 

Unless there is a big, genuine, spike with a lockdown coming back into force, this league will start and Man City fans will be able to tell us how shit it is. 

I'm assuming 12th September is a date they've been given by the broadcasters. I don't agree from a sporting perspective, but money talks. I'm so sick of it, I just want us to get over the line and then as far as I'm concerned , they can spend the rest of the summer in court. I'm sick to death of the game in this country. It's run by cunts, most fans are cunts, the TV companies are cunts. Fuck them all. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

The problem with the idea that the "bottom clubs will be pulling every trick in the book" is that we know for certain now that the season is ending either on the pitch or PPG.  So if it ends by PPG then the bottom 6 already know who goes down, so 3 will be trying to not have it end that way, and 3 will be happy for it to end that way.   So even then we've got counter views.  

We as Liverpool fans would rather it was ended on the pitch and all games were played, so I think we're over thinking this.  No club is going to start pulling tricks and cons to get the season ended because they'd get caught.  In this modern age nothing major can be kept secret. And also, bar that West Ham lot, the bottom 6 aren't going to act like that I don't think.

I don't even know what tricks people think they could pull?

Is PPG official? I’d heard it mooted but hadn’t heard anything definitive. If so then fair enough.

One thing that is almost certain is that all of those people that have been clammering to void the current season (usually people who don't want to see us win the league, bantz bellends or those from relegation-threatened clubs) will be the same ones who'd be absolutely fine with preparing for and starting a brand new season in August/September if they were to get their wish for this season. All those factors supposedly behind their current thinking (public health and safety, protecting the NHS, the lockdown, the lack of importance) will miraculously not be a concern then. Any spike in infections, any more deaths and any more lockdowns will be brushed off as normal, and they'll be the ones telling those who don't think it's right to begin in those circumstances to quit complaining and just get on with it.

Guest Alex_K

Look, as I wrote back in March when the league was first frozen, it was always going to be resumed because there is too much money at stake. You can circle around trying to provide rational or academic arguements as to why it may be frozen again, why it could be voided etc. ... ultimately there are hundreds of millions/bns £ on the line and so the show goes on. Its really that simple. There is no way around the money involved and that is why clubs around Europe have resumed where their leagues have any financial substance.  Any clubs at the bottom trying to drag this out are engaging in a fruitless task.

The PFA did not take a pay cut. The Premier League will not extend life support to non-league. They really, really, really fucking care about their money.

3 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Home advantage stats in Germany since the restart. I hope Brighton are taking notes...

A40D3CBF-CE17-4911-981C-A6CFB98A27BE.jpeg

Interesting, although there's only been 2.5 completed rounds of fixtures so could just still be a bit of a fluke.

4 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Home advantage stats in Germany since the restart. I hope Brighton are taking notes...

A40D3CBF-CE17-4911-981C-A6CFB98A27BE.jpeg

If this was a still from a thriller, that pair of scissors would end up in someone's back by the third act.

• Upvote 1

Shops reopening mid-June makes it virtually impossible it won’t restart and the Tories would have to be pulled kicking and screaming into any sort of lockdown in the immediate future thanks to Cummings’ antics and Sunak’s militant belief that the economy needs to be unshackled as soon as possible.

The big question is whether completing next season is realistic, as I can see things taking a dive as the weather worsens towards the end of the year.

Any bets on which club this “senior executive” comes from?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/premier-league-players-drop-concerns-over-full-training-whdj37btc

One senior executive warned last night that there could yet be issues with the third stage of Project Restart, which is the return to playing matches, expected to be on June 19 or 26. The executive said that playing another team “changes the risk profile massively”.

57 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Shops reopening mid-June makes it virtually impossible it won’t restart and the Tories would have to be pulled kicking and screaming into any sort of lockdown in the immediate future thanks to Cummings’ antics and Sunak’s militant belief that the economy needs to be unshackled as soon as possible.

The big question is whether completing next season is realistic, as I can see things taking a dive as the weather worsens towards the end of the year.

I reckon Everton will go all out to win their first 2 games next season and then call for a lockdown and ppg. Best chance they’ll ever have of winning the league.