You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

15 minutes ago, Dave D said:

Of course, Im just curious as to when Deeney could possibly envisage a return to football?  

He doesn't have to return. If you are a coal miner, or an offshore driller you don't have to do it.

The suggestion/implication that players should expect to be completely protected is a little exclusionary dont you think?

1 hour ago, Supremolad said:

Spot on. I'm sure TK421 has no agenda regarding the BAME thing but proper context isn't being provided. I am black myself, so I feel the need to provide insight regarding the issue.

In America and the UK, people of color are only at a higher risk based on bad living conditions due to poverty and/or type of jobs they have to do. When it is cited that people of color are at higher risk of death from covid, some people like Deeney are ignoring or unaware of the nuance involve. That specific situation is very community dependent. 

So for example, a rich black man in his 30s like Deeney, is at a far lower risk of dying than a black man in the same age range who lives in the ghetto with poor living conditions, who has to take public transport to work in a Tesco where he would be exposed to even more people. Hope this post helps regarding the issue.

I don't have an agenda, you're right.  My agenda is finding out more information. 

My understanding is that an inquiry is ongoing to establish the cause.  Whatever the cause is, it's worthwhile finding out.  

27 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

He doesn't have to return. If you are a coal miner, or an offshore driller you don't have to do it.

The suggestion/implication that players should expect to be completely protected is a little exclusionary dont you think?

I agree- this is what I mean- Deeney is largely against project restart due to the associated risks- but he makes no mention of the long term plan- he will be well of aware of the iimplications.

As pointed out, football, behind closed doors with its wealth of earnings and high level medical care is an environment of enviably low risk compared to the majority of the population. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Dave D said:

Of course, Im just curious as to when Deeney could possibly envisage a return to football?  

Exactly - The typical response by Deeney or others looking to not play is we should only return when its safe to do so.

That should be followed up with another question of when do they think it will be safe.

If there's mass testing on a regular basis - temperature checks - minimum staff around the players - only players and staff that have tested negative in a fan free environment is that not safer than going to the local supermarket ?

'when its only safe to do so' does that mean when theres a vaccine available only then they'll play otherwise they'll self isolate for the next 12 - 18 months until theres one available (which also might not happen)

It looks like Watford have decided to be the main flag bearer for  not playing again. their manager seems against it as well as a few of their players -  I hope when football comes back they get relegated - the players that refused to play will most likely be like rats off a sinking ship and look to move to another club as soon as.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mark M said:

It looks like Watford have decided to be the main flag bearer for  not playing again. their manager seems against it as well as a few of their players -  I hope when football comes back they get relegated - the players that refused to play will most likely be like rats off a sinking ship and look to move to another club as soon as.

Pearson probably wants to self-isolate in the Balkan wilderness and batter some wild dogs again.

• Upvote 1

According to the WHO below Africa is doing well which would suggest it is living conditions/job etc that has been the problem and not just because the person happens to be BAME .

There had been apocalyptic forecasts for the potential impact of the pandemic in Africa. On Friday evening, after the 100,000th case was reached, the World Health Organization’s Africa office circulated a note saying that it now seemed clear that the pandemic “appears to be taking a different pathway in Africa.” The note continued:

Case numbers have not grown at the same exponential rate as in other regions and so far Africa has not experienced the high mortality seen in some parts of the world. Today, there are 3,100 confirmed deaths on the continent.

By comparison, when cases reached 100,000 in the World Health Organization (WHO) European region, deaths stood at more than 4,900. Early analysis by WHO suggests that Africa’s lower mortality rate may be the result of demography and other possible factors. Africa is the youngest continent demographically, with more than 60% of the population under the age of 25. Older adults have a significantly increased risk of developing a severe illness. In Europe nearly 95% of deaths occurred in those older than 60 years.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Just get the fucking games on. If a player doesnt want to play, dont play.

That’s exactly what will happen. The premier league / tv companies won’t fold with such a small number of players refusing to play - it will just be looked upon like a side that has some injuries. 

4 hours ago, Mark M said:

Exactly - The typical response by Deeney or others looking to not play is we should only return when its safe to do so.

That should be followed up with another question of when do they think it will be safe.

If there's mass testing on a regular basis - temperature checks - minimum staff around the players - only players and staff that have tested negative in a fan free environment is that not safer than going to the local supermarket ?

'when its only safe to do so' does that mean when theres a vaccine available only then they'll play otherwise they'll self isolate for the next 12 - 18 months until theres one available (which also might not happen)

It'll never be safe to come back to work. Because you have to drive to training and might have an accident. While at training, there'll be people responsible for cooking your food who mightn't do it properly. Then you might get killed playing. Then you've got to get home again. However, they all deal with this and manage their risks accordingly. I struggle to see how this is any different really. If we all drove cars without traffic laws, there'd be deaths everywhere. Kitchen staff adhere to health and safety standards and are trained in food hygiene. We just need to establish new protocols for this virus, for football Germany are already showing us the way. And if this virus is still with us in 3 years, I would imagine they'll be better at managing the risk in 3 years than they will today. 

3 hours ago, aws said:

Age, underlying health conditions, nature of job and obesity are going to turn out to be the major factors. The virus doesn't seem to have ripped through the Middle East yet either. 

It hasn't done a bad job in Iran. 

Guest Alex_K
1 hour ago, Barry Wom said:

It'll never be safe to come back to work. Because you have to drive to training and might have an accident. While at training, there'll be people responsible for cooking your food who mightn't do it properly. Then you might get killed playing. Then you've got to get home again. However, they all deal with this and manage their risks accordingly. I struggle to see how this is any different really. If we all drove cars without traffic laws, there'd be deaths everywhere. Kitchen staff adhere to health and safety standards and are trained in food hygiene. We just need to establish new protocols for this virus, for football Germany are already showing us the way. And if this virus is still with us in 3 years, I would imagine they'll be better at managing the risk in 3 years than they will today.

Well put. Jonathan Sumption has written several worthwhile pieces on these lines. There are risks in every aspect of life; we accept many risks because they provide convenience (i.e. risk of car crash vs. convenience of faster travel) and we manage those as best we can in order for society to have a net-gain as a result. Personally the greatest takeaway from this for me has been to a) value youth (or relative youth), as the older you get the less control you have over risks that plague you and b) be healthy to the best degree you can be. If we weren't already aware that bad diet, lack of excersise etc. make us vulnerable to health risks then the statistics arising from covid should have been an enormous eye opener.