You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

Especially when everyone involved should of been regularly tested  and pretty much isolated.

I thought the whole point was we are going to to get corona at least the vast majority of us the whole point was to slow down infection to protect the NHS. Otherwise lockdown everything until a vaccine is created.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Especially when everyone involved should of been regularly tested  and pretty much isolated.

I thought the whole point was we are going to to get corona at least the vast majority of us the whole point was to slow down infection to protect the NHS. Otherwise lockdown everything until a vaccine is created.

I dont think any vaccine is every 100% successful. Loads of old codgers have flu injections every year yet some still get a does. Admittedly this virus isnt the flu and from what I read, it is more like the cold virus.

The people and players holding out on the belief that things will be ok once there is a vaccine might be waiting a long time. I think there's still no vaccine for SARS although that priority kind of went away when far fewer cases than expected came about.

16 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I reckon I'd risk it for 120 grand a week, like.

So would I but I don't already have 4m in my bank account. I'm no fan of Danny Rose but at least he's putting his money were his mouth his, he will on the dole in 6 weeks and no club will take him with this carry on.

5 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

I'm stunned that an already made millionaire who has openly admitted that he doesn't enjoy football doesn't want to play football.

He was saying that to highlight racism in football.  Which is fair enough, he has experienced monkey chants first hand.  Maybe he just doesn't like racism and deadly viruses. 

It's interesting seeing working class people, for the most part, many of whom are already back at work in much more dangerous environments than any regularly-tested and quarantined player would be at work, choosing to die on a hill for the right of these 100k plus players to refuse to work.

I mean, that's one thing in itself, and it might at least be mitigated if we saw these players, Deeney, Rose etc, banging the drum about how wrong it is for the average working class guy to be effectively forced to work for £500 per week. But we don't. Not a fucking peep. Not that I've seen anyway.

The rich protecting themselves, whilst the poor protect them too, whilst the rich don't give a fuck about the poor, whilst the poor don't give a fuck about themselves and don't even seem to realise (or care) that the rich don't give a fuck about them either.

The fucking history of life right there.

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, Jack the Sipper said:

It's interesting seeing working class people, for the most part, many of whom are already back at work in much more dangerous environments than any regularly-tested and quarantined player would be at work, choosing to die on a hill for the right of these 100k plus players to refuse to work.

I mean, that's one thing in itself, and it might at least be mitigated if we saw these players, Deeney, Rose etc, banging the drum about how wrong it is for the average working class guy to be effectively forced to work for £500 per week. But we don't. Not a fucking peep. Not that I've seen anyway.

The rich protecting themselves, whilst the poor protect them too, whilst the rich don't give a fuck about the poor, whilst the poor don't give a fuck about themselves and don't even seem to realise (or care) that the rich don't give a fuck about them either.

The fucking history of life right there.

Rose has spoken about the money involved and the perception that because footballers get paid a lot they should just get on with it.  Clearly he doesn't see it the same way, can you put a price on a human life?  Is the money footballers earn relevant to the level of risk?  They will be putting themselves in a position where there is an increased risk of catching the virus and passing it on to their families, they have every right to voice their objections.

9 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Rose has spoken about the money involved and the perception that because footballers get paid a lot they should just get on with it.  Clearly he doesn't see it the same way, can you put a price on a human life?  Is the money footballers earn relevant to the level of risk?  They will be putting themselves in a position where there is an increased risk of catching the virus and passing it on to their families, they have every right to voice their objections.

Boris Johnson - 37p.

Just now, TK421 said:

As I've said, if Rose had acknowledged that other people, earning a fraction of what he does and with much less freedom to just up sticks, are also in danger (and, contrary to what you say much more danger than him for the reasons I gave above, and add the fact that they are fit, young and have access to the best health care), then my point would be diulted. Instead the cheeky cunt talks about HIM being a lab rat or guinea pig. Yeah, not the fucking nurses or care home workers, or bus drivers or shop staff, many of whom hav ealready died.

Where's his fucking soap box there? 

The point I'm making is that it's interesting observing the disparity in the way Joe Public will defend a well-protected multi-millionaire footballer when that footballer has nothing to say about the lot of Joe Public. And it's not new, by any means. It's this same deferential, cap-doffing mindset that saw peasants lay down their lives on a battlefield so some cunt of a Plantagenet king could fight for his family's right to some parcel of French land and the power it gave him.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jack the Sipper said:

As I've said, if Rose had acknowledged that other people, earning a fraction of what he does and with much less freedom to just up sticks, are also in danger (and, contrary to what you say much more danger than him for the reasons I gave above, and add the fact that they are fit, young and have access to the best health care), then my point would be diulted. Instead the cheeky cunt talks about HIM being a lab rat or guinea pig. Yeah, not the fucking nurses or care home workers, or bus drivers or shop staff, many of whom hav ealready died.

Where's his fucking soap box there? 

The point I'm making is that it's interesting observing the disparity in the way Joe Public will defend a well-protected multi-millionaire footballer when that footballer has nothing to say about the lot of Joe Public. And it's not new, by any means. It's this same deferential, cap-doffing mindset that saw peasants lay down their lives on a battlefield so some cunt of a Plantagenet king could fight for his family's right to some parcel of French land and the power it gave him.

Maybe he just doesn't like viruses?  Or does he have to predicate everything he says with an acknowledgement of what other people earn in order to justify his own view?  I don't get it. 

He acknowledges that footballers earn a lot of money - and shows that he's conscious of the public perception of footballers in that respect - in the extract I quoted from the podcast. 

An interesting comment from Steve Bruce seems to suggest that Rose has been charitable towards the NHS.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8343893/Steve-Bruce-says-Danny-Rose-careful-opinions-following-lab-rats-comments.html

'Maybe, he could be less harsh with his comments, but he's entitled to his opinion. I don't think there's been anybody more generous than Danny towards helping the NHS cause.

So fucking what? He’s not lab rat, it was a stupid comment and he deserved to be criticised for it in my opinion, and clearly a lot of other people’s opinions as well. That’s all there is to it.

• Upvote 1

Guest Alex_K

Yup. Fill the streets with rubbish. Turn off the electricity. Leave the supermarket shelves empty. Everyone just stop working and either a) hand all your money back in and just live in a black room void of belongings or b) keep taking money from your employer until, after a couple of weeks, they have no money to give you then revert to option a). When the government turns off the furlough tap a lot of people are going to wake the fuck up to the risks out there. The indulgence of a Danny Rose character is outrageous. "He's been generous to the NHS". That's nice - he's on 70 grand a week fully paid, hasn't been working for 2 months and is now refusing to work while all his colleagues do go to work because "its not worth the hassle"

I made the point about the NHS because people were drawing inferences that he didn't care about nurses and so on.  Steve Bruce's comment seems to indicate otherwise.

As for Nathan Blake, he's entitled to his views too and I don't think they're anything more than innocuous personal opinions. 

12 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Nathan Blake does not think it should return until the virus is totally eradicated.

Cool, everyone should stop work too, hope he likes growing his own food and wiping his arse with his hand. 

Quite.

2 minutes ago, TK421 said:

I made the point about the NHS because people were drawing inferences that he didn't care about nurses and so on.  Steve Bruce's comment seems to indicate otherwise.

As for Nathan Blake, he's entitled to his views too and I don't think they're anything more than innocuous personal opinions. 

IMO face-masks don't make any difference. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Yup. Fill the streets with rubbish. Turn off the electricity. Leave the supermarket shelves empty. Everyone just stop working and either a) hand all your money back in and just live in a black room void of belongings or b) keep taking money from your employer until, after a couple of weeks, they have no money to give you then revert to option a). When the government turns off the furlough tap a lot of people are going to wake the fuck up to the risks out there. The indulgence of a Danny Rose character is outrageous. "He's been generous to the NHS". That's nice - he's on 70 grand a week fully paid, hasn't been working for 2 months and is now refusing to work while all his colleagues do go to work because "its not worth the hassle"

This is pure straw man stuff.  Danny Rose and Troy Deeney are not going to bring football down on their own, are they?  Deeney has refused to train, that's fine because it's his choice.  In the meantime everything else is proceeding as planned with a view to restarting football. 

10 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Have Troy or Watford released any details yet about his salary? Highly paid person refusing to work and all. 

Interesting read here from a union perspective.  It's not unreasonable for Deeney to want basic assurances about his safety, especially in the context of his son's breathing difficulties.  

https://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport/18465097.fifpro-head-jonas-baer-hoffmann-warns-inhumane-punishing-players-like-watfords-troy-deeney/