You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

Denny, Aguero, Sterling, Murray.... Its ok for them to say they won't play because they re worried about their health. Thats absolutely fine. But forfeit your wages. The team plays without you. Feel lucky your employer won't sack you over it. 

None of them 4 (Including Deeney) would be saying this if there side were in a more favourable position. 

• Upvote 1

If Deeney had come out straight away with the 5 month old son issue, no one would have suspected him of having a hidden agenda. He should just have stated the situation first time around and made his position clear. Didn't need to be in press stories almost every other day.

Instead, Mr. Cojones has been constantly raising hell about returning to football not being safe and then going on to later say black players are at higher risk. The stats however show that there is very low risk overall to people in his age range with no underlying health conditions, regardless of race.

It all smacks of him being overdramatic and self entitled. He surely isn't the only player with vulnerable family members. PL footballers are in a highly privileged position during this pandemic. They would be getting tested twice or thrice a week. They would be working in the safest conditions possible. And they have been earning shitloads of money even while not playing. Compare and contrast to millions of ordinary low income earners who also have vulnerable family members, but who have to go back to work with no testing done.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Denny, Aguero, Sterling, Murray.... Its ok for them to say they won't play because they re worried about their health. Thats absolutely fine. But forfeit your wages. The team plays without you. Feel lucky your employer won't sack you over it. 

None of them 4 (Including Deeney) would be saying this if there side were in a more favourable position. 

Ridiculous.  He’s worried about his 5 month old sons health.  I’m sure he’d give every penny he had away if it guaranteed his sons health.  I wouldn’t lump Deeney in with any of these other lizards.  He’s literally said I don’t care if I don’t get paid.  Not in the most articulate way obviously but it doesn’t change what he’s saying.  It shouldn’t mean football should stop though I agree with that but criticising him and making assumptions on how he would act if his club were higher up the league is wrong.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Supremolad said:

If Deeney had come out straight away with the 5 month old son issue, no one would have suspected him of having a hidden agenda. He should just have stated the situation first time around and made his position clear. Didn't need to be in press stories almost every other day.

Instead, Mr. Cojones has been constantly raising hell about returning to football not being safe and then going on to later say black players are at higher risk. The stats however show that there is very low risk overall to people in his age range with no underlying health conditions, regardless of race.

It all smacks of him being overdramatic and self entitled. He surely isn't the only player with vulnerable family members. PL footballers are in a highly privileged position during this pandemic. They would be getting tested twice or thrice a week. They would be working in the safest conditions possible. And they have been earning shitloads of money even while not playing. Compare and contrast to millions of ordinary low income earners who also have vulnerable family members, but who have to go back to work with no testing done.

62 thousand dead in the UK through a highly contagious disease and he's being over dramatic. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, The Guest said:

Ridiculous.  He’s worried about his 5 month old sons health.  I’m sure he’d give every penny he had away if it guaranteed his sons health.  I wouldn’t lump Deeney in with any of these other lizards.  He’s literally said I don’t care if I don’t get paid.  Not in the most articulate way obviously but it doesn’t change what he’s saying.  It shouldn’t mean football should stop though I agree with that but criticising him and making assumptions on how he would act if his club were higher up the league is wrong.

Fair enough. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, The Guest said:

He is entitled to deal with the situation as he sees fit. As is everyone. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah if his kids struggling breathing I guess I take it back about him but some of his wording before he mentioned his kid has been questionable. If only we were all multi-millionaires who could fuck our wage off for a few months. 

I don't see a problem with it. Some of the players are acting out of self-interest like Murray and some out of spite such as sterling. Deeney has a genuine concern.

It does highlight how lucky they are though. Troy Deeney the office worker or Troy Deeney the builder doesn't have that luxury.

I dont understand the fuss over deeney, if he doesnt want to play, he doesnt play. It's the same if he's carrying a niggly injury, birth of a kid or breavement. You dont want to play for whatever reason, dont play.

At the same time, dont use personal circumstances to say the whole league should be cancelled and dont say 'but Im good to go back to pre season training in July to be ready to start the next season on 8 August.' That's where I draw the line with any player saying 'Im not wanting to play due to the current circumstances.'

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Yeah if his kids struggling breathing I guess I take it back about him but some of his wording before he mentioned his kid has been questionable. If only we were all multi-millionaires who could fuck our wage off for a few months. 

My auntie has gone back to work as I said, 60 years old working nights in a Nursing Home in Knowsley. She also has an inoperable benign tumour on her brain she has dealt with for years. She is working because she has no choice.

Deeney  won’t be the only one not playing when football returns, and he won’t be the only footballer with family members with health problems. We all have them.

• Upvote 2

Guest Alex_K
1 hour ago, The Guest said:

What’s ridiculous is his employer will be on the rack for his 100 grand a week salary and absent of one of their leading players, making relegation a distinct possibility. Don’t say you’ll give the money in; give the money in. One rule for some and another rule for others crashes the whole thing down. I’m assuming you weren’t in favour of clubs furloughing their non playing staff? 

If he puts his money where his mouth is then fair enough. Knowing the egocentric persona Deeney gives off at every turn I doubt very much - let me stand to be corrected. There are loads of players with young babies and kids. What about them? You’ve got elderly people working in supermarkets because the alternative is the dole. What about them?

41 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

What’s ridiculous is his employer will be on the rack for his 100 grand a week salary and absent of one of their leading players, making relegation a distinct possibility. Don’t say you’ll give the money in; give the money in. One rule for some and another rule for others crashes the whole thing down. I’m assuming you weren’t in favour of clubs furloughing their non playing staff? 

If he puts his money where his mouth is then fair enough. Knowing the egocentric persona Deeney gives off at every turn I doubt very much - let me stand to be corrected. There are loads of players with young babies and kids. What about them? You’ve got elderly people working in supermarkets because the alternative is the dole. What about them?

Why is any of this relevant?  I’m commenting specifically on people giving Deeney shit for wanting to not put his 5 month old son in any danger.  He’s said his son has had breathing problems.  If other players are in a similar situation then people shouldn’t be giving them shit either.  As I said as well though it shouldn’t be stopping football running because it isn’t going away.

The government have been a disgrace in how they’ve handled the whole thing and should be protecting older and more vulnerable people so they shouldn’t have to go to work.  Lockdown should have been a lot tougher in general.  None of this is relevant to why a man who’s got enough money to not go to work decides to not go to work.  That’s a point on the society we live in and why he can do it and others can’t.  It doesn’t make him a bad person.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Guest said:

Exactly how I read it, son breathing difficulty and all that 

As you mention, not the most articulate of people. Put his potentially contaminated clothes with his family's?

Oh fuck off Troy, my missus is on lockdown here in Turkey, I go the shops, wipe everything down, strip shower and my clothes get washed separately.

And I ain't no millionaire. 

Guest Alex_K
16 minutes ago, The Guest said:

Why is any of this relevant?  I’m commenting specifically on people giving Deeney shit for wanting to not put his 5 month old son in any danger.  He’s said his son has had breathing problems.  If other players are in a similar situation then people shouldn’t be giving them shit either.  As I said as well though it shouldn’t be stopping football running because it isn’t going away.

The government have been a disgrace in how they’ve handled the whole thing and should be protecting older and more vulnerable people so they shouldn’t have to go to work.  Lockdown should have been a lot tougher in general.  None of this is relevant to why a man who’s got enough money to not go to work decides to not go to work.  That’s a point on the society we live in and why he can do it and others can’t.  It doesn’t make him a bad person.

Why's it relevant? Because you're basing the arguement on a hypothetical. "I'm sure he'd give every penny he had away if it guaranteed his sons health.  I wouldn’t lump Deeney in with any of these other lizards.  He’s literally said I don’t care if I don’t get paid." So where's the money? Until he hands back in the £1 million quid he'll have taken off Watford by the time football resumes its all hot air. Troy Deeney will be very sure to make the world know if he hands his salary back in -- bump my post when he does.

If he decides not to train and play because ""if I'm putting my clothing in with my son's or my missus' it's more likely to be in the house" (this is actually an excuse he has given - its farcical - as if they can't buy fresh kits) and continues to take the highest salary at the club out of a business that'll be sacking employees left right and centre after this then he is an absolute bad person and dickhead, and deserves to be lampooned just as much as any highly paid exec taking bonuses etc whill their company suffers mass job cuts. Let's see how this one plays out.

If all the players took this approach then you may as well bankrupt all the clubs now.

Most of the dissent for the return has been from lower placed clubs as we know, with the exception of Aguero and Sterling (agenda ) and Kane(moron).

We have heard a lot from lower placed teams, some older players obviously looking out for themselves  as well as  trying to dodge relegation.

If people are only willing to return when a virus is found or when they feel totally safe that is their right. However honest their reasons are. 
As Glen Murray said when asked if it was ok for Supermarket staff to return and not footballers ‘ who said footballers don’t go to supermarkets ‘ well said Glen.

50 fully tested players and staff in an empty stadium for a few hours vs people working 12 hour shifts serving 100’s of people not knowing who has what. PPE or not, not all customers wear it. Don’t get me started on NHS and Care Staff.

What will the next excuse be? I only get motivated in front of a crowd? I like to hug and kiss after scoring a goal? Life matters more, but some take the piss.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, The Guest said:

Deeney nor any player would be getting any shit if this was comment number 1. This about his 16th intervention and only now comes the sick child, none of the other stuff matters if you have a child with breathing difficulties. 

• Upvote 1

Guest Alex_K
2 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Saw Rio Ferdinand on an advert at the weekend looking forward to the German footy, paid to do it bu a fucking hypocrite all the same. What happened to null and void Ducky? Money talks.

Exactly. The hypocrisy is revolting. If individuals want to moral-grandstand then that is their right. If they continue to take £s out of the industry at the same time then it is just rank.

14 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Exactly. The hypocrisy is revolting. If individuals want to moral-grandstand then that is their right. If they continue to take £s out of the industry at the same time then it is just rank.

By law and it's the same for anyone, you have the right to refuse to work due to unsafe conditions.

The company would then produce a safe system of work to highlight the controls in place against the risks.

If the person still refuses to work it would become an HR matter as presumably the risk assessments and safe systems have been approved by the workers and their union.

It would then be up to the employer to find something alternative for them to do or forgo his wages.

That is if everything is the same as when I was the H&S prick a year ago, clipboard and all.

I doubt there will many court cases for this/relegation etc as I'm guessing most Judges would say "these are exceptional circumstances in exceptional times"

I’ve never had a problem with people being concerned about the potential health implications of resuming - however, I believe doing so in private (ala Klopp) is more constructive than a disproportionate number of figures from clubs struggling against relegation shouting loudest - no one should have a problem with Deeney explaining now his reason for not training, but the initial comment was unnecessary.

As for whether players should still be paid, I would suggest that if they or someone they live with is deemed vulnerable that the decent thing is to excuse them without penalty. If they’re not in one of those situations, I would entirely respect their decision not to play, but I don’t think it would be unreasonable to stop their wages for the duration of that period. I could probably negotiate some unpaid leave and definitely would if I could afford it. Alas, I don’t have that luxury.

The Deeney situation is why in way I’d rather the season was ended by PPG as if something bad happened to a footballer (unlikely) or a players family member then you know which fan base and club will be blamed for it from the morons on Twitter and the like. 

9 minutes ago, Stickman said:

The Deeney situation is why in way I’d rather the season was ended by PPG as if something bad happened to a footballer (unlikely) or a players family member then you know which fan base and club will be blamed for it from the morons on Twitter and the like. 

I get that, but there’s going to be risk for a long time so it’s a case of balancing it. If the Premier League drew a line under it and said “no football at all until there is a cure / vaccine available” I think I would, reluctantly, accept that, but that’s not an option; the game would go bankrupt and die.

For example, I‘ve had to go to work all through this, but I won’t be sending the children back to school anything like as soon as the Tory ghouls want me to; I can, to some extent, manage the risk by myself, but it’s ridiculous fantasy to think that will work where kids are involved. How many of the moaners will be first in line to pack their own children off come June 1st?

15 minutes ago, Stickman said:

Liverpool don't tell teams they have to play again. The premier league and all the club's vote so every single club that voted for it too come back will be responsible. That aside it's a virus there's a risk no matter what we do. People have shown far more concern for footballers than they have for bus drivers 9 of which have died unfortunately a bus driver can't just walk away from his income. Players are grown men they can take personal responsibility. If enough players are too scared then fine stop the football PPG it, put it to bed until a vaccine is created no matter how long it takes.