You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

Am I missing something about this ' going the ground ' mullarkey , we pay an absolute fortune for policing the season , so it shouldn't be a massive issue for a few patrols to just make sure idiots are stopped from getting close to the ground.

The police have claimed they can't police it as lots of their resources have been allocated to other things as part of the pandemic response. I don't really see what that would be now cases are down so much, but that's their excuse. 

"Just" organise a socially distanced gathering of some sort, tickets only.  People are still using mass transit, by then they want schools back, restaurants will probably be open with special rules, people in their thousands are going to parks and beauty spots, so why not?  Organise it properly, a policed cordon around the ground to a certain radius, with ticket holders allowed in Stanley Park at a safe distance. Better than leaving it to chance. 

It's one afternoon for a few hours, it can be done if the will (and the title) is there. 

6 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

If it was City 25 points ahead they wouldn't be saying that. 

There are some loons on there who genuinely think we were going to collapse and they were going to win it.

Despite them losing a quarter of their games this season and us losing one - we were (and i quote) in terrible form.

Now i know we weren't playing all that well in last few but we were still winning and that is all that matters.

I checked the form table for last 6 and of course we were top of it....

Most pts, most goals, best GD in that 6...pick any 6 all season and it would be same.

But we were in terrible form and about to shit it....

Their last result? A loss to Man Utd.

Oh and of course a 25 pt gap.

We'd have smashed their 'centurions' record to bits and they hate that, the small time, nomark twats.

Absolute fucking melts on that place.

This will be met with a rational response from the characters who’ve convinced themselves that the only reason there’s a push to complete the season is so that Liverpool can win the league.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/11990643/premier-league-to-support-liverpool-trophy-presentation-if-safe-to-stage-one

The Premier League says it will support a trophy presentation for Liverpool if they are crowned champions and it is safe to do so.

Jurgen Klopp's side, who are 25 points clear at the top of the table, only need two more wins to clinch their first top-flight title in 30 years should the domestic season get back underway after it was halted due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The Premier League's chief executive Richard Masters has confirmed he will support plans for a presentation should the social and public health situation allow it.

11 hours ago, an tha said:

There are some loons on there who genuinely think we were going to collapse and they were going to win it.

Despite them losing a quarter of their games this season and us losing one - we were (and i quote) in terrible form.

Now i know we weren't playing all that well in last few but we were still winning and that is all that matters.

Most pts, most goals, best GD in that 6...pick any 6 all season and it would be same.

We'd have smashed their 'centurions' record to bits and they hate that, the small time, nomark twats.

You could finish the season with PPG and exclude us from that and award us no more points and we'd still win the league by about 5 points. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Now to start worrying about how we play after such a long lay off. 6 points...... 6 POINTS!!!!!!! 

Haha I've been like that the last few days. Suddenly Palace at home are AC Milan 89' and Villa at home are like Brazil 1970. I think there could be some mad results during this.

I always felt the season would be completed, though there was always that risk of ppg. Thankfully, for once our horrible government are on our side, even if their reasoning is to make the masses forget their shambolic handling of things.

Would love if next season we got the two Mancs, Chelsea and The Ev away in the autumn and got to play them in front of a packed Anfield in 2021. The fume on Bluemoon!

11 hours ago, an tha said:

We played well in the Atletico return leg. Almost as if we had one eye on it.

8 minutes ago, Grinch said:

Deeney not going back cause of five month old son has breathing difficulties and he won't risk his health. 

Maybe those quick to lsmbast him can shut the fuck up now. 

He’s incredibly ugly, sometimes I’m short of breath looking at him.

• Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, Grinch said:

Deeney not going back cause of five month old son has breathing difficulties and he won't risk his health. 

Maybe those quick to lsmbast him can shut the fuck up now. 

To be fair to him, I completely understand his decision. He mentioned about forgoing his wages too. He's lucky he has that choice which most don't.

My big issue is that Watford and other clubs will suddenly use this as a reason to not play.

42 minutes ago, kemskem said:

We played well in the Atletico return leg. Almost as if we had one eye on it.

Yeah we were really good. Should have qualified for the qf in 90 mins. Hate pointing the finger at players, but if Ali was in goal and for the Chelsea FA cup game, I think we would have been on for a treble still.

7 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

My big issue is that Watford and other clubs will suddenly use this as a reason to not play.

All clubs unanimously agreed to playing. Anybody who decides not to play is down to their own individual choice. 

No issue with Deeney not wanting to play. I think some more may go that route too. That's absolutely his prerogative.

I could do without him bleating on with the "I've been broke before" crap when he's been earning £3.5m a year for the last while though.  He's going to be rich for the rest of his days.

This isn't straightforward though as he's basically saying that the Premier League have not assured him that he'll be safe. So they are going to have to act on that to demonstrate they have taken all reasonable measures.

What happens next will be interesting. You just know some tabloids will be waiting to take a picture of him leaving a shop with no gloves on, or some such thing, so they can have a pop.  He's also 32 next month so with no vaccine imminent, is that him effectively retired?

12 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

They won't, and can't.  It's an internal issue.  Once other Watford players go back to training, then that's that.

Now if the entire Watford team go out in support of him, then that's a different issue.  Then the PL might just have to end the league in a PPG format.

Will he be giving up his wages for refusing to play? There will be plenty of NHS and Care Workers with families with illnesses, can they refuse to work and get paid? Like someone else said maybe he should have stated his position earlier and not as football is coming back. My auntie who had Covid has been cleared and is back working, because she has too. 

• Upvote 3