You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

3 hours ago, Scooby Dudek said:

The irony of all the shit we are getting from the moral guardians is we are the only team with nothing to gain/lose in this whole thing. 

Null and Void is not an option, so if football restarts we will win the league. However, if football does not restart, whichever calculation you use we will win the league.

I would imagine this is why we are staying quiet on all this, thus anyone criticizing us is purely using their own bias.

I know we all know this, but just felt the need to write it down.

and well written it was.

2 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Yeah but why is it only 'safe' when the season that is 75% completed is ended, relegation is off the table and we're 'safe' to start up pre season training in July ready for 'next' season's kick off on 8 August?

I dont know what is more annoying, that no fucking journo asks this question or that Murray, Deeney, Brady and Barber etc do not address it.

Nail on fuckin head

If it gets restarted and we win it and there's still worries that fans will congregate outside the ground "they" should arrange for ticket only admission to a certain number of socially distanced people in Stanley Park all facing towards Anfield Road and the team get hoisted up on scaffolding or cherry pickers to raise the trophy in front of those select fans. 

Without tickets and the right measures in place people will be put off from going. 

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

Yeah but why is it only 'safe' when the season that is 75% completed is ended, relegation is off the table and we're 'safe' to start up pre season training in July ready for 'next' season's kick off on 8 August?

I dont know what is more annoying, that no fucking journo asks this question or that Murray, Deeney, Brady and Barber etc do not address it.

But Murray, deeney, Brady and barber are not going to take interviews from people who ask those questions. The best you can hope for is some editorial comment around it. I've not followed it all too greatly, but what I've heard on 5live and when I've seen Sunday supplement, most sports journalists are saying they're being opportunistic. This may become a little different as and when the premier league clubs start making the TV commitments and have to face an open media on a regular basis. 

43 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

But Murray, deeney, Brady and barber are not going to take interviews from people who ask those questions. The best you can hope for is some editorial comment around it. I've not followed it all too greatly, but what I've heard on 5live and when I've seen Sunday supplement, most sports journalists are saying they're being opportunistic. This may become a little different as and when the premier league clubs start making the TV commitments and have to face an open media on a regular basis. 

Yeah course they won’t. Wankers 

How different to hear the views of a German footballer who looks at the positives in restarting rather than an agenda driven UK based footballer ...

I know they’re near the top but you could imagine most of the German clubs players having a similar view 

BVB's Marco Reus speaking like the captain he is in an interview with El Pais:

'I don't think we can speak about normality and I don't think we should either,' Reus said in an interview with Spanish newspaper El Pais on Friday.

'We are hoping to save an industry that employs 55,000 people, but the supporters at home will know we still haven't defeated the coronavirus and that we are far from normality.

'We cannot be complacent now. We all need to listen to the recommendations of the doctors and the politicians. We cannot be more clear about that. But if football can bring a bit of variety to people's living rooms, then I'll be happy.'

'Right now we should not make the mistake of complaining about anything. The league and the clubs are trying to save the system. By working closely with the politicians, they have found a way for football to work again,' he said.

'The basic condition is that teams are isolated for a week. That's how we can continue to do our jobs. It would be wrong to say anything negative about this.'

• Upvote 5

26 minutes ago, Stickman said:

How different to hear the views of a German footballer who looks at the positives in restarting rather than an agenda driven UK based footballer ...

I know they’re near the top but you could imagine most of the German clubs players having a similar view 

BVB's Marco Reus speaking like the captain he is in an interview with El Pais:

'I don't think we can speak about normality and I don't think we should either,' Reus said in an interview with Spanish newspaper El Pais on Friday.

'We are hoping to save an industry that employs 55,000 people, but the supporters at home will know we still haven't defeated the coronavirus and that we are far from normality.

'We cannot be complacent now. We all need to listen to the recommendations of the doctors and the politicians. We cannot be more clear about that. But if football can bring a bit of variety to people's living rooms, then I'll be happy.'

'Right now we should not make the mistake of complaining about anything. The league and the clubs are trying to save the system. By working closely with the politicians, they have found a way for football to work again,' he said.

'The basic condition is that teams are isolated for a week. That's how we can continue to do our jobs. It would be wrong to say anything negative about this.'

Having the biggest, most prestigious football league in Europe (and by extension, the world) will be the result for Germany if the other major players can’t get it together.

I fully expect an exodus over the next few years if the Premier League fails to reach a consensus on restarting over the next couple of weeks. We'll be looking on with envy as the Premier League drops back to the sort of status it occupied in the mid-90s; the TV deal will look at big different at that point. It might be that the smaller clubs have to accept not getting any of it so that the giants are able to maintain some semblance of competitiveness on he global stage.

Brugge officially crowned Belgian Champions.

Club Brugge have been awarded the Belgian league title after the country's football authorities announced the end of the season with the current standings declared final.

The league's decision was widely expected after Belgian Prime Minister Sophie Wilmes announced earlier in the month that all sporting competitions in the country would remain suspended until July 31 because of the coronavirus crisis.

Brugge were 15 points ahead of second-placed Gent with one game to go before the season-ending playoffs when the league was suspended. 

Club Brugge have been awarded the Belgian league title after the country's football authorities announced the end of the season with the current standings declared final.

The league's decision was widely expected after Belgian Prime Minister Sophie Wilmes announced earlier in the month that all sporting competitions in the country would remain suspended until July 31 because of the coronavirus crisis.

Brugge were 15 points ahead of second-placed Gent with one game to go before the season-ending playoffs when the league was suspended. 

Former Liverpool goalkeeper Simon Mignolet posted a video dancing around after the news

As a result, Brugge also qualified for next season's Champions League and last-placed Waasland-Beveren were demoted.

Former Liverpool goalkeeper Simon Mignolet posted a video to Twitter reacting to the news of their league title, dancing around in his house. The caption read: 'Scenes later today at house Mignolet...'

However, there is still the potential of the Belgian Cup being completed later in the summer period.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8324641/Club-Brugge-awarded-Belgian-league-title-authorities-end-season.html

Honesty didn’t know how much hatred there is for ‘us’ out there.  Quite funny how we’re boiling piss despite not actually saying anything about restarting the league. 

Guest Pistonbroke
13 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

It's very strange that all the teams at the bottom are so vocal about this. I couldn't possibly think why.

It was the same in Germany mate. Werder Bremen whining about it isn't fair to play in empty stadiums blah blah blah, nothing to do with the fact they are shite and second off bottom. As soon as the DFB said 'If the season isn't finished there will still be Title winners, CL places and Relegation places sorted out' they soon changed their tune. 

Guest Alex_K
1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

Tiote died a couple years back.

As did Marc Vivien Foe. There are around 50 professionals listed as having died on the pitch during this decade: that doesn’t count those that have died in circumstances related to football (aggravated assaults; substance abuse; high speed car crashes in supercars etc.). It just gets to the point where it’s farcical; the statistics are such that the odds are highly, highly in favour of the athletic demographic. If they have an underlying condition then isolate: if they don’t, then either play in the highly scientifically controlled conditions set out for them or hand the wages back in and retire from the dangerous game. Someone is paying for them while they sit out and — clue — it’s not the players.

Guest Alex_K

If they want to continue to take multi million £ salaries from the profession (repeat: someone, somewhere is paying for all this) it’s highly relevant. These aren’t obese 80 year olds wandering around highly packed shopping centres. The statistics are hugely in their favour and at some point that becomes the overriding point. Unless, as I said with a caveat, they are happy to stop taking a salary. That is of course their right and anyone who does so should be applauded for it. I think we will be waiting though. In the meantime we will see the organisations that provide the infrastructure for them to make multi million £s inch closer to bankruptcies.

6 hours ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Having the biggest, most prestigious football league in Europe (and by extension, the world) will be the result for Germany if the other major players can’t get it together.

I fully expect an exodus over the next few years if the Premier League fails to reach a consensus on restarting over the next couple of weeks. We'll be looking on with envy as the Premier League drops back to the sort of status it occupied in the mid-90s; the TV deal will look at big different at that point. It might be that the smaller clubs have to accept not getting any of it so that the giants are able to maintain some semblance of competitiveness on he global stage.

Always thought the premier League would falter at some point as the cash just seemed to grow, as you hinted this could be that point.

Bunch of fuckin fannies the way they are carrying on.