You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

3 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

I think in Scotland they've accepted they wouldn't restart for some time. Like Belgium and France, they have a new big TV deal to protect for next season.

Didnt know scotland had a new tv deal. Surely though that deal was made in the expectations of playing in stadiums that had atmosphere and people in them, how much or little that makes the spectacle?

When the SPFL re starts, it will be in empty stadiums same as the PL and other leagues so you'd expect the tv companies to go "hold on, that's not what we signed up to a new deal with you on."

6 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Didnt know scotland had a new tv deal. Surely though that deal was made in the expectations of playing in stadiums that had atmosphere and people in them, how much or little that makes the spectacle?

When the SPFL re starts, it will be in empty stadiums same as the PL and other leagues so you'd expect the tv companies to go "hold on, that's not what we signed up to a new deal with you on."

If it is illegal to play Infront of full crowds, I would suggest the SPFL are fine playing behind closed doors. It seems very unlikely there'd be a specific "must be people at the match" clause, so any contract will be governed by Scots law. So while sky may not be delighted the grounds will be empty, it would seem highly unlikely they've a clause to protect them against behind closed doors games. 

13 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

If it is illegal to play Infront of full crowds, I would suggest the SPFL are fine playing behind closed doors. It seems very unlikely there'd be a specific "must be people at the match" clause, so any contract will be governed by Scots law. So while sky may not be delighted the grounds will be empty, it would seem highly unlikely they've a clause to protect them against behind closed doors games. 

Yes, I agree. Obviously no one at Sky would have had an inkling of events and no one being in stadiums when they agreed the new deal.

Guest Alex_K

Deeney's case is a really simple one then - he just needs to cancel his £3.4 million annual salary with Watford by mutual consent on safety grounds (in this financial climate, I'm sure they'll be more than willing) and hand back in the £600,000 he's pocketed since the league stopped playing.

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

A club built as a charity for impoverished Irish Immigrants in East Glasgow..... 

We fucking hate you too 

We? Fucking hell mate who would you support if they brought the Home Nations back? You need a good NI team to support, Crusaders?

49 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

A club built as a charity for impoverished Irish Immigrants in East Glasgow..... 

We fucking hate you too 

Once upon a time.  Now they stick the tricolour on every piece of shite knowing that gullible paddies will buy it all up.

When I lived in Glasgow it was noticeable that the real hard core older Celtic fans were really exasperated how the Irish called it an "Irish" club. "It's fucking Scottish" they'd say.  They were proud of it's Irish connection, but hated the hijacking of it.

Hibs is the real Irish club anyway.  Founded years before Celtic by an Irish man, with proper fans like James Connolly.  And they don't rub it in everyones face to fleece dumb Paddy's out of their hard earned.  Well, maybe a little bit.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

Once upon a time.  Now they stick the tricolour on every piece of shite knowing that gullible paddies will buy it all up.

When I lived in Glasgow it was noticeable that the real hard core older Celtic fans were really exasperated how the Irish called it an "Irish" club. "It's fucking Scottish" they'd say.  They were proud of it's Irish connection, but hated the hijacking of it.

Hibs is the real Irish club anyway.  Founded years before Celtic by an Irish man, with proper fans like James Connolly.  And they don't rub it in everyones face to fleece dumb Paddy's out of their hard earned.  Well, maybe a little bit.

Where was your season ticket at Parkhead Johnny? Bet you were a jungle man. I can tell 

3 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

Exec seats mate.

"Rod, whose that tramp in my seat?"

"Reckons his names Johnny and he played a stripper on Hawaii 5.0. I think he's lying. He stinks of Buckfast and he walks backwards. He wants to know where Penny is"

Rod+Stewart+Billy+Connolly+Rod+Stewart+C

Guest Alex_K

So League 2 want to end early, have their sides get promoted up to League 1 but not have any of their sides relegated to National League. Yeah, that’s not going to fly.

League Two's season has been brought to an early conclusion following discussions between clubs and the English Football League.

After an indicative vote by the clubs, the table is set to be decided using a weighted points-per-game method, while the play-offs would be played as usual.

But any move still needs to be ratified by the EFL and Football Association.

Meanwhile, teams in League One will have to meet again on Monday after failing to come to an agreement

10 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

"Rod, whose that tramp in my seat?"

"Reckons his names Johnny and he played a stripper on Hawaii 5.0. I think he's lying. He stinks of Buckfast and he walks backwards. He wants to know where Penny is"

Rod+Stewart+Billy+Connolly+Rod+Stewart+C

Certain truth in that.  

My best mate in Glasgow father-in-law was best pals with Jimmy Johnson and I got to meet him a few times before he passed.  Lovely fella. Proper East end of Glasgow family.  Plumbers.  And he had an exec seat where all the Lisbon Lions did the corporate thing.  One of them called me a Jonah once because the last two home games I'd gone to Celtic had been beaten.

Went to see Rangers a few times too as my mates best mate is Fraser Wishart so we went with him.  That was , interesting.  I kept my mouth shut.  The REALLY hate the Irish. 

My most regular live games though were Partick Thistle.  Shittest stadium ground I've ever been in, and I've been to Goodison.

Good days actually.  I enjoyed living in Glasgow.

49 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

4A295F21-5616-4B18-BDFD-070D96707C57.jpeg

Dont see it setting any more a precedent than Belgium, Holland or what they've done in scotland.

It's not like the PL clubs cannot afford the testing and the players are on furlough.

I can see them ending the PL 2019 / 20 season eventually when some clubs have run down the clock, some players and managers say it isnt safe and the PL itself says we tried but couldnt get agreement.

If that's the case, fine, but I dont want to then hear lampard, deeney, murray, barber and brady and the rest of them etc say 'let's start pre season training middle of July ready for season 2020 / 21 kicking off on 8 August.'

If they're binning off this season, I dont want to see talk of re starting this side of January 2020 at the earliest and even later if we cannot attend the games. If some clubs go bust because they put obstacles in the path of re starting, tough shit. You aint having your cake and eating it.