You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

1 hour ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

It was bizarre that the authorities were pushing the neutral grounds thing for so long. What kind of maniac turns up to stand outside an empty stadium when they could be at home actually watching the match?

I would understand it if pubs were open. But they're not. It's a stupid argument. 

You'll always get some who'll ignore the advice and be outside the ground when they shouldnt. These types always think they'll be the only one there or the advice doesnt apply to them.

That said, there's likely to be a crowd turn up at Villa Park and a lesser extent Bournemouth or Norwich if they manage to avoid being relegated.

As Ronnie says, by the time games get underway and we get the required results, we'll be well into June and more and more people will be out and about. Go out now and there's loads of people going about their everyday lives, there will be more come middle of June.

Personally do not give a shit about an asterisk, I only care about the 19th title and that's it. Not our fucking fault a virus has ended a season that we have utterly dominated, and I'll take a title with an asterisk than no title at all. And I can't imagine for an instant that if we can't resume, that the league will deny us the title. The league can do the sporting, sensible and fair thing and get no bother, or they can be cunts and cheat us out of the title that is by rights ours, and face the mother of all uproars. I think they'll go for the sensible option. As for sorting out the rest of issues about relegation, promotion etc. Don't really care what they do but my personal preference is to relegate the bottom 3 and promote the top 3 from the Championship. Let's be honest, those 3 at the bottom were going down anyway.

25 minutes ago, Baltar said:

Personally do not give a shit about an asterisk, I only care about the 19th title and that's it.

Agreed, but there isn't going to be an official asterisk. The PL couldn't give a shit.

Rival fans will of course always put an asterisk, but honestly who cares. It'll just mean we're extra special, cause we are and they know it. It'll be nice in fact that they finally all acknowledge it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, M_B said:

Agreed, but there isn't going to be an official asterisk. The PL couldn't give a shit.

Rival fans will of course always put an asterisk, but honestly who cares. It'll just mean we're extra special, cause we are and they know it. It'll be nice in fact that they finally all acknowledge it.

I think most things in the world that need a date will have an asterix next to it when it comes to 2020. 

A bit like the Bramley Moore Dock stadium plans. 2023* 

Our asterix means *Premier League Champions, their one means *actually we mean 3448 before that cone gets to the other end of where the pitch might be

27 minutes ago, M_B said:

Exactly. The asterisk actually stands for “Because we’re so fucking good, you mewling quims tried to get the sport abandoned rather than acknowledging our dominance”

766F6760-8C04-4FBE-8C32-2926CDAF1E30.jpeg

Rumours abound that the EFL has its house in order and that the Championship will return before the Premier League. If it does, the latest bottom feeder gambit of claiming it would be unfair to relegate from the Championship if the Premier League is played out, falls by the wayside. Will they now claim it would be unfair to relegate from the Premier League on PPG if the Championship promotion contenders have actually played their matches?

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/english-premier-league/story/4094314/english-championship-to-return-on-june-1before-premier-league-sources?platform=amp&__twitter_impression=true

1 minute ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Rumours abound that the EFL has its house in order and that the Championship will return before the Premier League. If it does, the latest bottom feeder gambit of claiming it would be unfair to relegate from the Championship if the Premier League is played out, falls by the wayside. Will they now claim it would be unfair to relegate from the Premier League on PPG if the Championship promotion contenders have actually played their matches?

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/english-premier-league/story/4094314/english-championship-to-return-on-june-1before-premier-league-sources?platform=amp&__twitter_impression=true

Norwich Sporting Director is spouting relegation should be off the table if the EFL doesnt complete it's Championship. How very, very sporting of him.

The media are still doing all they can to stifle talk of the PL re starting running stories of some mysterious 'safety consultant' saying there isnt any safety(!) and Serie A in danger of being called off, again, due to a Government sporting doctor wanting 14 day isolation of a team if any player is tested positive.

Amazing how that all think this will magically disappear come August 2020.

I find it bizarre how much media don't want the football to resume and yet they keep running transfer rumours like everything is normal.

Footballers, you would think they would be pushing for resumption of the league and itching to go back to training instead of watching  their bodies and skills deteriorate every day, doing tedious solo exercises.  Now all of a sudden they all have vulnerable relatives they will be putting in danger, as if they are not supposed not to be in any close contact with these relatives anyway.

29 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Norwich Sporting Director is spouting relegation should be off the table if the EFL doesnt complete it's Championship. How very, very sporting of him.

The media are still doing all they can to stifle talk of the PL re starting running stories of some mysterious 'safety consultant' saying there isnt any safety(!) and Serie A in danger of being called off, again, due to a Government sporting doctor wanting 14 day isolation of a team if any player is tested positive.

Yet what if the Championship resumes and Premier League doesn’t, due to various teams throwing spanners in the works? I suspect Norwich’s sporting director would perform a convenient 180 and claim relegation / promotion would be unfair because only the Championship sides got to play it out on the pitch!

The Italian government are being ridiculous, because taking such a position is, in effect, saying that sport cannot resume until a vaccine is available. There’s no other way - if you want to quarantine entire teams (instead of those who have tested positive) then it’s done for at least 18 months and maybe forever if we’re honest.

45 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

It's like being a member of a chairman's forum.

Why do they all want to spout shit?

Me, me me me me.

The media are talking about it because they have little else football to talk about. What better than talking about the prospect of one of the biggest clubs in the world being denied a title. Keeps them in a job I guess. Throw in a few idiots like Danny Rose, Saint Raheem and a collection of the bottom six owners and you have clickbait fun pandering to middle England that doesn't want us being champions.

The reality is very different. The Germans are back this weekend and other leagues are coming back. Our clubs won't want the gigantic bill that would have to be paid if the season isn't completed. Does Woodward give a shit about Liverpool? No and he shouldn't. It's his job to make sure that United doesn't end up 100 odd million quid further in the red than it should be. Pretty much all owners think the same. Some of these clubs at the bottom are trying every trick available but they are on to a loser as the season will be completed. 

The sooner this season is completed, the clubs can make plans for next season. Most owners would recognise the need for that. 

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

I think most things in the world that need a date will have an asterix next to it when it comes to 2020. 

A bit like the Bramley Moore Dock stadium plans. 2023* 

Our asterix means *Premier League Champions, their one means *actually we mean 3448 before that cone gets to the other end of where the pitch might be

20200513_164851.jpg

9 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Belgium also had 1 game left where everything was mathematically sorted apart from the relegation place. 

However, as they only have a 16 league team which was due to finish in mid-March, I don’t see how making a 17 team league would cause to much hassles. 

IMO, Belgium were right to end their season.

The difference is the Belgium FA cancelled their season whereas the Dutch and French governments cancelled theirs. 

The Belgium season was not one game from the end and the team that wins the league are not the champions. Once the regular league season finished, they go into a playoff type phase, the winner of that becomes the champions. So it was quite a big decision to award the league. My understanding is they did it as they are operating under a new (and much larger) TV deal from next season and didn't want anything that gets in the way of next season starting. Interestingly this is also the case in France and Scotland. 

1 hour ago, SasaS said:

I find it bizarre how much media don't want the football to resume and yet they keep running transfer rumours like everything is normal.

Footballers, you would think they would be pushing for resumption of the league and itching to go back to training instead of watching  their bodies and skills deteriorate every day, doing tedious solo exercises.  Now all of a sudden they all have vulnerable relatives they will be putting in danger, as if they are not supposed not to be in any close contact with these relatives anyway.

I expect most of these frightened footballers will be perfectly happy for their cleaners/gardeners/childcarers/nannies to get back to work. 

35 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

The Belgium season was not one game from the end and the team that wins the league are not the champions. Once the regular league season finished, they go into a playoff type phase, the winner of that becomes the champions. So it was quite a big decision to award the league. My understanding is they did it as they are operating under a new (and much larger) TV deal from next season and didn't want anything that gets in the way of next season starting. Interestingly this is also the case in France and Scotland. 

Like the man in the orthopaedic shoes, I stand corrected.

18 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Like the man in the orthopaedic shoes, I stand corrected.

Insert whoever.

a, Don't play out of respect.

Oh shit, the people and gov want it.

b, Null and void, it's not fair.

Oh shit, UEFA won't have that.

c, Neutral venue not fair.

Oh shit, bizzies say no need.

d, Ask Lord Raheem or that flower lad to cry.

Oh shit, public are saying what about my children 

e, No relegation if, if if.

Oh shit, fa, UEFA won't have that.

You couldn't make this up.