You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

4 minutes ago, aws said:

Supposedly the police are starting to back down on their insistence on neutral grounds provided the clubs provide sufficient stewards to help make sure social distancing is maintained around the grounds. A big hurdle overcome if true. 

Just wait for reports to seep out declaring that “an increasing number of players...” are refusing to play, the majority of whom will just happen to be from bottom six clubs and Man City. 

4 minutes ago, aws said:

Supposedly the police are starting to back down on their insistence on neutral grounds provided the clubs provide sufficient stewards to help make sure social distancing is maintained around the grounds. A big hurdle overcome if true. 

Just wait for reports to seep out declaring that “an increasing number of players...” are refusing to play, the majority of whom will just happen to be from bottom six clubs and Man City. 

Liverpool and United should leak that they’ve been talking to other top European Clubs about a consensus for a way forward in the future. No mention of a Super League, just friendly chats about the way going forward in football. Watch the cunts shit it at the thought of losing the bulk of their income to a closed shop.

4 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

The Southend United chairman is demanding League One be declared void, claiming that all integrity would be lost by finishing the season on PPG.

Southend United are 16 points adrift of safety.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/football-news/city-promotion-league-one-news-18235540

Yes, doing what's "the very best" for your club now includes trying to cheat your way into staying in a league. Dont bother about clubs below you who should rightfully take your place, you're just doing what's best for your club. Apparently.

Last I heard, the EFL were on the verge of ending the League One and Two seasons with proposals if they cannot play The Championship to a finish, the promotion play off will go ahead.

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

Yes, doing what's "the very best" for your club now includes trying to cheat your way into staying in a league. Dont bother about clubs below you who should rightfully take your place, you're just doing what's best for your club. Apparently.

Integrity, innit!

2 hours ago, TheDrowningMan said:

The Southend United chairman is demanding League One be declared void, claiming that all integrity would be lost by finishing the season on PPG.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/football-news/city-promotion-league-one-news-18235540

Don’t know if I’m imagining it but there seems to be a bit of a pattern here. Football, funny old game.

7 hours ago, TheDrowningMan said:

I really could see that happening.

If Lord Raheem of Sterling and the like want people to believe them, I want them to say, we refuse to play any games until a vaccine is found.

That is then there personal choice, don't have any issue with that.

7 hours ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Ha ha

10 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Belgium declared Brugge Champions in their curtailed season. It was Holland who didnt declare any Champions. No European top level league has declared null and void to my knowledge

Belgium also had 1 game left where everything was mathematically sorted apart from the relegation place. 

However, as they only have a 16 league team which was due to finish in mid-March, I don’t see how making a 17 team league would cause to much hassles. 

IMO, Belgium were right to end their season.

The difference is the Belgium FA cancelled their season whereas the Dutch and French governments cancelled theirs. 

12 hours ago, TheDrowningMan said:

They’re trying their hand again, this time saying it would be unfair for Championship clubs to get promoted if their season is curtailed while Premier League clubs are relegated having played all of theirs.

The flaw, as far as I can tell, will be if they overreach into having the season cancelled, which means relegation will have occurred under the same terms and they’ll have to hand back a bigger chunk of the TV money they’ve already spent. 

With that said, the article goes on to say that a consensus for how to curtail the season might be unattainable, and implies that the spectre of voiding might not be off the table after all.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/05/12/premier-leagueclubs-could-oppose-promotion-project-restart-goes/

Jesus. Utterly shameless. 

Isn’t the concept of relegation and promotion different anyway based on the fact that the team who comes 6th can get promoted via the playoffs at the expense the sides who finished 3rd to 5th?

Also, aren’t the Premiership and Championship (ran by the EFL) separate entities? Surely that was the whole point for the Premiership?

IMO, it’s the Premierships decision how they finish their season and the EFL’s decision how they finish their season(s).

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Jesus. Utterly shameless. 

Isn’t the concept of relegation and promotion different anyway based on the fact that the team who comes 6th can get promoted via the playoffs at the expense the sides who finished 3rd to 5th?

Also, aren’t the Premiership and Championship (ran by the EFL) separate entities? Surely that was the whole point for the Premiership?

IMO, it’s the Premierships decision how they finish their season and the EFL’s decision how they finish their season(s).

If anything, this makes it far more complicated as if one EFL voids (no promotion) and Prem doesn't (relegation) that means 3 teams down making it an odd number of teams in the EFL. Same vice versa with 23 teams in the Premier League. It has to be a void/void or complete/complete.

1 minute ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Such is my pessimism I'm convinced it will still be voided.

There too many clubs and players to throw a spanner in the works. 

Personally I think there's more chance that the next season will be voided than this one but it's so complicated.

15 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

If anything, this makes it far more complicated as if one EFL voids (no promotion) and Prem doesn't (relegation) that means 3 teams down making it an odd number of teams in the EFL. Same vice versa with 23 teams in the Premier League. It has to be a void/void or complete/complete.

In that scenario, I agree. However, that’s not what my reading of the article is pointing at. I was reading it in terms of curtailment. 

If the EFL is voided, I don’t think clubs should move up or down, then relegation would be off the table. 

However, from what I’ve read, the EFL look more likely to curtail than void. The Premiership is also starting a curtailment plan. Voiding also requires the Premiership, EFL & FA to all agree to it, which I bet they won’t. 

Anyhoo, has anywhere else reported this story? 

They won’t void they’ve already said that numerous times (even on Monday they might curtail they might do PPG but we will end up with the title as that is the easiest decision of the lot and literally effects nobody .

I get everyone is nervous I am myself as it’s just becoming a bit of a joke and frankly boring at the minute. But this will carry on and carry on as sky @Talkshite ex-players journalists and dicks on Twitter have nowt else to talk about and Liverpool and the title creates headlines .

I’d rather they just fuck it off now and give us the cup.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Scott_M said:

In that scenario, I agree. However, that’s not what my reading of the article is pointing at. I was reading it in terms of curtailment. 

If the EFL is voided, I don’t think clubs should move up or down, then relegation would be off the table. 

However, from what I’ve read, the EFL look more likely to curtail than void. The Premiership is also starting a curtailment plan. Voiding also requires the Premiership, EFL & FA to all agree to it, which I bet they won’t. 

Anyhoo, has anywhere else reported this story? 

I haven't seen it anywhere else. I'm slightly cynical of any news site that sits behind a paywall as it's in their interests to have 'exclusives' that no one else has to get people buying. Why would there be any plan to start training again if there was a higher chance of voiding than not? It seems a lot of trouble to go to for the clubs, the organisations, staff, players etc. If they can go ahead with it, they will. Personally I think football has been around since the late 1800s and early 1900s and it didn't used to be the spectacle that it is now. Whatever form the matches take, I'm sure they will be enjoyable for the viewers and although they will be to a lower standard than the players are used to I'm thinking there have been lower standards in the past.