You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

How is PPG unfair but voiding isnt. Teams that earnt their success punished and teams that failed rewarded. With PPG it's not ideal, it's crap  but at least it's based upon your own performances and it's not using a global pandemic to try and take advantage, getting yourself an undeserved second shot and if you then do well it's at someone else's expense. It's distasteful. At least Liverpool aren't trying to profit and pull a fast one. Our greatest season ever has been ruined but it isnt important in the end and that still isn't enough for some fans.

Despite all the dead they still want to be able to do covid jokes at Liverpool's expense, they're desperate for it. They lack the class they accuse us of lacking and theirs is out of spite and fuck all else. First it was voiding about health and safety and then when told Liverpool would be awarded the title it became voiding about fairness. Any scenario that stops Liverpool. So at the end of the day when they say "well the title doesn't mean anything" it's bullshit because they've been cry arseing, writing petitions, filling any comment box they can to try and make sure it doesn't happen and with a passion and vitriol that shows clearly how much it matters. 

We're boss, we will still be boss when this is done. Jurgen Klopp is our manager and he's fucking brilliant and regardless of what other fans think, other football clubs and more importantly top class players across the world will see Liverpool as rightful champions and a place to be.

• Upvote 5

9 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

How is PPG unfair but voiding isnt. Teams that earnt their success punished and teams that failed rewarded. With PPG it's not ideal, it's crap  but at least it's based upon your own performances and it's not using a global pandemic to try and take advantage, getting yourself an undeserved second shot and if you then do well it's at someone else's expense. It's distasteful. At least Liverpool aren't trying to profit and pull a fast one. Our greatest season ever has been ruined but it isnt important in the end and that still isn't enough for some fans.

Despite all the dead they still want to be able to do covid jokes at Liverpool's expense, they're desperate for it. They lack the class they accuse us of lacking and theirs is out of spite and fuck all else. First it was voiding about health and safety and then when told Liverpool would be awarded the title it became voiding about fairness. Any scenario that stops Liverpool. So at the end of the day when they say "well the title doesn't mean anything" it's bullshit because they've been cry arseing, writing petitions, filling any comment box they can to try and make sure it doesn't happen and with a passion and vitriol that shows clearly how much it matters. 

We're boss, we will still be boss when this is done. Jurgen Klopp is our manager and he's fucking brilliant and regardless of what other fans think, other football clubs and more importantly top class players across the world will see Liverpool as rightful champions and a place to be.

This....

IMG_4494.jpg

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

He wanted to pack in footy a few months ago because of all the abuse he was getting but then signed a new contract. 

To be fair I wanted to pack in nursing for the same reason but I’m still doing it.

20 hours ago, aws said:

I think the suggestion is £350m gets claimed back even if the games go ahead. If it's curtailed then the claim is far higher. 

Ta. Fucking mental that. It would be surprising if the contracts say "played in full houses in the correct stadium". My guess is they're hoping for a bit of discount or something. 

• Upvote 1

They’re trying their hand again, this time saying it would be unfair for Championship clubs to get promoted if their season is curtailed while Premier League clubs are relegated having played all of theirs.

The flaw, as far as I can tell, will be if they overreach into having the season cancelled, which means relegation will have occurred under the same terms and they’ll have to hand back a bigger chunk of the TV money they’ve already spent. 

With that said, the article goes on to say that a consensus for how to curtail the season might be unattainable, and implies that the spectre of voiding might not be off the table after all.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/05/12/premier-leagueclubs-could-oppose-promotion-project-restart-goes/

Premier League clubs are threatening to oppose the promotion of clubs from the Championship if the second tier of English football cannot complete the season and the top flight’s ‘Project Restart’goes ahead.

Despite being warned that the Football Association will not allow relegation to be cancelled and does not want to declare the entire season null and void, Premier League clubs are arguing that promotion and relegation must be awarded under the same set of circumstances.

Clubs believe it would be unfair for the Premier League to play to a finish behind closed doors and relegation places decided accordingly if the Championship season has to be curtailed with final positions either being awarded on current placings or points per game.

The FA/ PL should grow a pair and tell all these cryarses that these are extraordinary circumstances and extraordinary measures will need to be taken to ensure football survives in this country at the top level.

The measures will be for the greater good of all with no favouritism applied and all clubs will comply.
Failure to do so will be taken as bringing the game into disrepute and extraordinary punishment will be applied to those who do so.

Sounds simplistic I know, but sometimes that’s all it takes.

Won’t happen though.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, coachpotato said:

The FA/ PL should grow a pair and tell all these cryarses that these are extraordinary circumstances and extraordinary measures will need to be taken to ensure football survives in this country at the top level.

The measures will be for the greater good of all with no favouritism applied and all clubs will comply.
Failure to do so will be taken as bringing the game into disrepute.

Won’t happen though.

I actually think it’s more likely that they'll cave and we'll get a statement out of the blue that says “despite the best efforts of all of our members, reaching a consensus has been impossible and therefore we've been left with no option but to render the season null and void”.

2 minutes ago, coachpotato said:

Failure to do so will be taken as bringing the game into disrepute.

Won’t happen though.

It won't happen because it's unlikely it's much to do with the FA and the premier league is a body made from it's members, it's members being the 20 teams that compete in it. 

1 minute ago, Barry Wom said:

It won't happen because it's unlikely it's much to do with the FA and the premier league is a body made from it's members, it's members being the 20 teams that compete in it. 

The FA have the power to block no relegation / promotion and that’s their position, but the question is whether they'll cave if the PL comes begging.

3 minutes ago, coachpotato said:

You are right Barry, but ultimately all are governed by the rules of the FA aren’t they?

I'm pretty sure entry to the PL is by invitation only. And ultimately they'll be governed by contract law, either there is a legal point that the championship needs to be finished or there isn't, I wouldn't think the FA could be arbiters and just do what they think is good. Also, with the way money filters down from the PL to the FL, it's likely the PL have some sort of promotion criteria veto imo. 

23 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

I actually think it’s more likely that they'll cave and we'll get a statement out of the blue that says “despite the best efforts of all of our members, reaching a consensus has been impossible and therefore we've been left with no option but to render the season null and void”.

The FA have said that wont happen. Neither will UEFA accept nominations for next season's club competitions if it is 'null and void.'

It's not correct to say entry to the PL is by invitation. The criteria is sporting merit agreed with the EFL and meeting stadia criteria ie top 2 clubs plus play off final winner in The Championship and their stadia meeting the relevant requirements.

Carra pointed out that ”null and void” was taken off the table by UEFA weeks ago.  The FA have just basically said the same thing to try to shut down the the bottom 6.

I’m still sceptical myself though.  Carra also said that everyone keeps saying other countries have null and voided when they haven’t because they’ve picked their teams for Europe etc.  He’s right but the thing he doesn’t mention is that Belgium didn’t void their league but also didn’t award the title.  Null and voiding might well be off the table (personally I don’t think it is) and it could still fuck us.

Really though I can’t see the PL “crying to the FA” to allow them to not relegate.  The top 14 won’t want 2 more teams to share the money with and it was clearly the PL asking the FA to threaten to overrule any PL vote taking it off the table.  There’s definitely plenty of twists and turns left.

2 minutes ago, The Guest said:

Carra pointed out that ”null and void” was taken off the table by UEFA weeks ago.  The FA have just basically said the same thing to try to shut down the the bottom 6.

I’m still sceptical myself though.  Carra also said that everyone keeps saying other countries have null and voided when they haven’t because they’ve picked their teams for Europe etc.  He’s right but the thing he doesn’t mention is that Belgium didn’t void their league but also didn’t award the title.  Null and voiding might well be off the table (personally I don’t think it is) and it could still fuck us.

Really though I can’t see the PL “crying to the FA” to allow them to not relegate.  The top 14 won’t want 2 more teams to share the money with and it was clearly the PL asking the FA to threaten to overrule any PL vote taking it off the table.  There’s definitely plenty of twists and turns left.

No, yesterday was the turning point. It won’t happen from here.

8 minutes ago, The Guest said:

Belgium declared Brugge Champions in their curtailed season. It was Holland who didnt declare any Champions. No European top level league has declared null and void to my knowledge

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheDrowningMan said:

This is the fairest way to curtail the season by far.

Imagine if the PL came out and said "This is an avenue we re seriously exploring"... Imagine the blue reaction. Suddenly all those dead people from finishing the season wont matter. 

Supposedly the police are starting to back down on their insistence on neutral grounds provided the clubs provide sufficient stewards to help make sure social distancing is maintained around the grounds. A big hurdle overcome if true.