You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

55 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

The Premier League have reportedly gone back to the government and asked if the neutral venues can be removed and replaced with the usual home and away grounds. 

Personally, I think this is a good thing. Although I’ve been mocking the home advantage thing because I just want to get it finished, I’d much rather we lifted the trophy at Anfield rather than Brighton or Leicester or somewhere random. 

If the government says yes, then surely it’s all systems go? Similarly, if they tell the Premiership to fuck off, then that draws a line under it and those opposed who’d go down under PPG will soon change their tune. 

Barry Wom is right on the other page. We don’t need to left UEFA know until the 25th what we’re doing. Clubs have 2 weeks for the government to change their minds. If they can’t, then they know the ramifications. 

Still, the lengths Brighton have gone to over this is ridiculous. I hope they play their remaining home games at the AMEX and still go down. 

43 minutes ago, The Guest said:

West Ham and Brighton will still be at it but they won’t have any power.

Depending on how the PPG is worked out, West Ham could very well be changing their tune.

If it’s just worked out on pure PPG, they stay up.

If it’s allocated PPG for home and away games, they have the 2nd worst home record in the country and they have 5 home games left vs 4 away, which would see they fall into the bottom 3. 

There is no mathematical way Norwich or Bournemouth can weasel themselves out of it on PPG. Villa would scrape though at West Ham’s expense if it’s weighted home and away. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Think you are mixing two things up here - this would be if the league does re-start and they refuse to play.

Does bring up an interesting point -- what to do about wages if the league does not re-start?

I can see a bunch of clubs not being able to pay wages, nor will most want to but I think they would have to release those players from any contract to do so.

What makes it difficult is because players are assets. If they stop paying their wages, they cease to be assets as if you don't play wages, you're allowed to walk away from the contract. I think the club's are over a barrel. And I think if I was a footballer, I wouldn't be too keen to be financially helping out a ruler of a tin pot oil state, an oligarch or some hedgefunders  or whatever. I'd want my dough or I'm free to walk. 

50 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Depending on how the PPG is worked out, West Ham could very well be changing their tune.

If it’s just worked out on pure PPG, they stay up.

If it’s allocated PPG for home and away games, they have the 2nd worst home record in the country and they have 5 home games left vs 4 away, which would see they fall into the bottom 3. 

There is no mathematical way Norwich or Bournemouth can weasel themselves out of it on PPG. Villa would scrape though at West Ham’s expense if it’s weighted home and away. 

I think the whole PPG thing is a can of worms. Personally I think they should go for the home/away weighted PPG - but I could see it ending up in court either way. For sure there's no way the dildo twins and Brady are taking that lying down. The top and bottom of it is I think the PL should say they're finishing the season no matter what and tell uefa they need to just accept that, even if it means it takes till october. They could (maybe should) find a way to go directly to the groups of next year's CL and EL and all those who miss out (which I'd do on coefficients) play in a 3rd competition. 

8 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

What makes it difficult is because players are assets. If they stop paying their wages, they cease to be assets as if you don't play wages, you're allowed to walk away from the contract. I think the club's are over a barrel. And I think if I was a footballer, I wouldn't be too keen to be financially helping out a ruler of a tin pot oil state, an oligarch or some hedgefunders  or whatever. I'd want my dough or I'm free to walk. 

I think the whole PPG thing is a can of worms. Personally I think they should go for the home/away weighted PPG - but I could see it ending up in court either way. For sure there's no way the dildo twins and Brady are taking that lying down. The top and bottom of it is I think the PL should say they're finishing the season no matter what and tell uefa they need to just accept that, even if it means it takes till october. They could (maybe should) find a way to go directly to the groups of next year's CL and EL and all those who miss out (which I'd do on coefficients) play in a 3rd competition. 

Karen Brady takes plenty lying down! (nudge,nudge,wink,wink.)

2 hours ago, andyj said:

i still expect the league to be cancelled lets face it there is enough red flags going up all over the world that shows lifting restrictions to soon is causing the infection rate to go up again and the same will happen here.Only fair way i see it is if its cancelled is to freeze the league crown us champions relegate nobody and promote the top 2 from the championship and repeat the same in all leagues.Then next season do away with the league cup/FA cup to allow for extra games then at the end of nest season 5 go down in each league 2 come up to rebalance the leagues........should stop everyone taking the FA to court and dragging it on for the next 3 years !!  

Where would that be?

9 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Null and void nonces have moved the goalposts to "the league has no integrity now" because of neutral venues etc.

If we had won all our 29 games 10-0 the league would have been shit or we would have paid refs off, took steds etc. 

If it was their side in a favourable position they wouldn't say that. Anyone you put that to who says they would still say it is a liar. 

I'm surprised that the "null and void....there's more to life than football....think of people's safety" crowd haven't been their usual, vocal selves today by clamouring for a PPG solution now that null and void appears to be dead in the water. 

Surely they'd want the one of the two viable options which offered zero risk to player safety? Unless the real reason for their previous null and void requests was nothing to do with player safety at all and they had an ulterior motive? 

Hmmmmmmm.....

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Is PL the only league planning to use neutral venues? Germans will be playing at normal grounds, what about Spain, Italy and the others?

I think the issue here is that grounds like Anfield, Woodison, most of the London clubs etc are all in heavily populated areas. The thinking is obviously if fans turn up, they spread it to the residents, the residents spread it to each other etc etc etc.

Therefore Old Trafford, Emptyhad, Brighton etc don’t aren’t populated areas, so less risk. 

I don’t know enough about other countries on what the type of residential areas they have. From where I’ve been I think Bayern, Dortmund, Leverkusen, the Milans, the Romas, Atletico & maybe a could of others are outside populated areas. But then the Nou Camp is in a highly populated area. 

In summary, I’ve written a lot there and the conclusion I’ve no fucking idea. 

39 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Null and void nonces have moved the goalposts to "the league has no integrity now" because of neutral venues etc.

If we had won all our 29 games 10-0 the league would have been shit or we would have paid refs off, took steds etc. 

They've been saying it's had no integrity since we've been top. Fuck those guys.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

If it was their side in a favourable position they wouldn't say that. Anyone you put that to who says they would still say it is a liar. 

Just said the same thing to a Man Utd then and said it wouldn't bother me because I've seen them win loads. 

Then just comes back about football being unimportant. Lives lost etc.