You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

47 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

I didn't think that The Premier League has the power to stop relegation, as they would need the consent of the football league to do this?

They'll need to cut a deal with the EFL but I expect that'll be easy to do so long as two or three clubs get promoted.  What other objection could the EFL have particularly as they'll be struggling to finish their games if the Prem can't ? 

And if the clubs have have reached agreement, the FA will fall in line.  

1 minute ago, aws said:

They'll need to cut a deal with the EFL but I expect that'll be easy to do so long as two or three clubs get promoted.  What other objection could the EFL have particularly as they'll be struggling to finish their games if the Prem can't ? 

If they promote/relegate throughout the leagues it will be a tough sell to not relegate PL sides - as it should be.

2 minutes ago, aws said:

And if the clubs have have reached agreement, the FA will fall in line.  

I really can't see a 23 team league next season. This will create an extra 6 games, and also mean that 6 teams will be relegated! Teams like Southampton, Burnley, Crystal Palace and Everton that are safe this year should be very worried at the prospect of the bottom 6 going down next year.

1 hour ago, Barry Wom said:

I think Brighton are a very well run club. I don't understand the idea either they've gone "too early". My understanding is the PL have another meeting tomorrow to set their timetable in the wake of Johnson's statement tonight. So assuming the government give the green light, then Brighton need to be fighting on whatever front they can by tomorrow, how much later could he leave it? Barber was on 5live last week. He was really clear he has no duty to football as a whole and only to Brighton. His job is to give Brighton the very best chance to stay up. Some form of the abandonment to the season or a delay in making a decision tomorrow helps his cause (with the uefa 25 may deadline in mind) - especially when you look at Brighton's 2020 form. I don't know why people would expect his position to be anything but what it is. 

The real surprise is the support he's getting from the current bottom 3. If he gains enough traction to get the season ended at this point, there seems to me to be an over 90% chance final positions will be declared on some sort of PPG, which can't help them - they would be both relegated and need to ensure they returned their share of the £1.2bn the premier league will lose or need to return to TV and sponsors should there be more games this season. For Barber maintaining premier league status is worth the possible hit on this season's money. That surely is not true for around 17 other clubs in the league. 

But as I've said all along, I think money will rule the day. There is enough self interest from the top 14 (which is a working majority for any rule changes) to ensure the season sees some sort of conclusion to hold onto the TV money. I think it was Steve parish saying this morning while domestic rights holders have been good up to now, that's not the same for overseas rights. In my opinion the season will be played out, Barber and Brady etc probably know this, but they're making sure they've been seem to fight for the interests of their club - which legally they're obliged to do anyway. 

Their wages to turnover is the worst in the league by a long way. They are proper fucked if they spend more than a season in the championship. That for me is not a very well run club.

The remark about going early is relation to the 3 players testing positive, they have tonnes of time to isolate and get ready with plenty to spare for mid June. Unless a family member/house mate is working on the front line there is no excuse for these players to have picked up the virus.

BT Sport have been shite in all of this.

They should play every Liverpool game over the last two seasons while this is all getting ironed out. Just back-to-back games of us twatted everyone, extended highlights in the breaks, all the press confs etc.

Just now, ))) said:

BT Sport have been shite in all of this.

They should play every Liverpool game over the last two seasons while this is all getting ironed out. Just back-to-back games of us twatted everyone, extended highlights in the breaks, all the press confs etc.

Fuck no, Ive just cancelled!

Grrrrr, that Paul fucking Barber is grinding my fucking gears everytime I read his fucking name. No doubt Telegraph Sport briefed by Paul Barber as well. Why isnt he asking how can we start in August when there's no vaccine, the stadiums will be empty and nothing has really changed?

8 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Just call the whole thing off and award us the title. It's ours, we won it.  Give us the trophy, you tight bastards. 

I keep reading things that give me optimism, but then I look at the way these clubs seem to be consolidating and I just can't see it with the way the scoundrels are behaving. One thing's for sure, if officials aren't ordered, behind the scenes, to 'do the right thing' with regards to our matches and we miss out on the next title, the competition is corrupt and compromised until we win it; reaching the right result would not be wrong, merely course corruption in the face of cheats. Leeds, West Brom, Coventry et al should unquestionably be afforded the same treatment in the event that they too are fucked over.

I will never, ever accept that binning a 75% complete season is fair or just and the Premier League will be effectively every bit as much of a single team league as the SPL if Man City win it again next time out.

4 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Grrrrr, that Paul fucking Barber is grinding my fucking gears everytime I read his fucking name. No doubt Telegraph Sport briefed by Paul Barber as well. Why isnt he asking how can we start in August when there's no vaccine, the stadiums will be empty and nothing has really changed?

I should imagine, like the Watford Twat, he's fine 'compromising' with neutral grounds if it's done from the start. 

Just bring on the Super League - a nice, closed club with none of this shit. Maybe an expansion team can be allowed in every decade or so, if they can prove their clout.

Either the league will buckle to these fuckers and be expanded with no relegation this year or it will be cancelled imo. Can't see it getting restarted. 

This shit needs remembered come the next TV negotiations. They are litteraly threaten every team outside the bottom six with having to lose tens millions TV money so they can get away with being shit

2 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Either the league will buckle to these fuckers and be expanded with no relegation this year or it will be cancelled imo. Can't see it getting restarted. 

This shit needs remembered come the next TV negotiations. They are litteraly threaten every team outside the bottom six with having to lose tens millions TV money so they can get away with being shit

Yeah, the collective TV bargaining is hilariously small-time for a supposedly major competition. We should be getting many many times the ££££ of the bottom six put together, and be able to sell streaming packages for every single game. 

11 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Yeah, the collective TV bargaining is hilariously small-time for a supposedly major competition. We should be getting many many times the ££££ of the bottom six put together, and be able to sell streaming packages for every single game. 

My feelings are very mixed over that. 

On one hand yes, commercially the top 6 should be getting the lions share as they bring in the money. On the other hand I don't like the idea of having a la liga type closed shop at the top. 

But if the bottom 6 are going to weaponise this then I fully expect a push from the top 6, who seem to vote as a block to go the same way. 

4 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

My feelings are very mixed over that. 

On one hand yes, commercially the top 6 should be getting the lions share as they bring in the money. On the other hand I don't like the idea of having a la liga type closed shop at the top. 

But if the bottom 6 are going to weaponise this then I fully expect a push from the top 6, who seem to vote as a block to go the same way. 

My feelings on it have been irrevocably altered by the behaviour of the bottom six. They are doing all they can to cheat, so fuck them. Play hardball with the TV rights, insist on a change to the voting structure that means you don't have a say if you haven't been part of the division for ten consecutive years. Tell them you're fucking off and breaking away if they don't act properly in future.

22 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

The next step for English teams is to control their own rights - like baseball. 

That'll learn 'em.

If they did void the league, would fans be entitled to the ticket money back?

One could argue that we have seen the game, so we should pay. However we went to the game as part of a competition. I mean, we wouldn't have gone to the game had we known the competition wouldn't be completed.

I am not really concerned about getting any money back. I just mean that it may be really detrimental to every club to cancel, if they had to give a load of lolly back to fans and another load to TV companies and another load to sponsors etc.

Guest Alex_K
31 minutes ago, Jennings said:

One could argue that we have seen the game, so we should pay.

What? You've seen 19 games at Anfield on your season ticket?

Or are you asking if theoretically there should be refunds on tickets for round 1 - 29 due to the competition as a whole being incomplete? If so, that's an even more farcical suggestion. No where on your used-ticket does it tell you refunds will be offered if a 38 game season is not played.

1 hour ago, ))) said:

Turn it round on them. The top ten clubs should tell the others ‘ok, we can’t finish this season because of player safety, but for the same reason we can’t start the season again in August as there will be no vaccine, so we’ll have to lose both this season’s and next season’s money....’

Cunts will soon fall into line.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

What? You've seen 19 games at Anfield on your season ticket?

Or are you asking if theoretically there should be refunds on tickets for round 1 - 29 due to the competition as a whole being incomplete? If so, that's an even more farcical suggestion. No where on your used-ticket does it tell you refunds will be offered if a 38 game season is not played.

The point he's making is that if he's paid to see a league game and the league is voided then effectively the game he watched was a meaningless friendly.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Purslow’s latest reason for cheating:

What if they lose them to injury? Does he want a rule saying they don’t have to play if those players get injured? And Mings really isn’t one of your best players...

• Upvote 1