You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

8 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

This is exactly why it won’t finish, somebody will test positive and the whole thing will be called off, probably a player from one of the clubs trying to cheat their way out of relegation. Just end it now, apply an average of points won goals for and against both for home and away fixtures for all remaining games and call it a day.

Think the money that will be owed and the legal ramifications make it very likely it plays out, especially if the German league and other leagues come back. 

We have stayed quiet but clubs like United have been nicely drip feeding to their fans how important it is that the season is played out and the huge impact on them if it doesn't. If the bottom 5 or 6 clubs derail this deliberately, I think it will get quite nasty and suddenly all of the big clubs will be very vocal about finishing and the numpty journos will suddenly sing from a different tune.

In my opinion, an argument that it is too early to play is a fair one. However, when it is jumped on by people who are using a pandemic to bring their horrible form of tribalism to the table or acting in self-interest a la Karen Brady, it gets me so angry. The same people who think we can start a new season in August. I think UEFA are villains here also. If they calmly said this season must be properly completed in all leagues, with a view to dealing with next season when it comes, it would have taken a lot of the problems out of the way.

* that pic by Doctor Troy is brilliant but so true. How many of the numpties having their street parties are also the same cunts ringing 5 live or talksport talking about voiding the season or the geeed of the pl.

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

Good point being made on Sunday Suppliment - the changes to allow 5 subs clearly favours the bigger sides.

So why haven’t the bottom 6 bitched about that?

Guess they can only manage one agenda at a time but fear not they’ll get around to it 

34 minutes ago, an tha said:

Amazing how a Brighton player has it now too...how exactly has he caught it in a lockdown?

I very much doubt his wife is a key worker or works in a care home? 

Is anyone independently verifying these tests?

Its probably that twat Johnsons version of Covid 19 

49 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Who doesn’t? 

The excuse used to be if we win it we will be unbareable. Well now we can win it but can't be unbareable, still they are desperate to see it taken away. It's nothing to do with how we are and everything to do with how they are.

1 hour ago, Anubis said:

Is anyone going to ask how three players in lockdown contracted the virus. Either a) they’re lying (just throwing that out there, make of it what you will), or b) they’ve been ignoring lockdown and should be fined and drummed out of the squad for the rest of the season.

Not bound the realms of possibility, in my opinion. The virus could have been contracted from, say, shopping for food or from packages/parcels delivered to their homes.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Not bound the realms of possibility, in my opinion. The virus could have been contracted from, say, shopping for food or from packages/parcels delivered to their homes.

Listen, if you didn't know you were being a scam, you're too dumb to keep this job. If you did know you were in on it. Either way, you're out.

15 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Listen, if you didn't know you were being a scam, you're too dumb to keep this job. If you did know you were in on it. Either way, you're out.

To be honest, I’m not arsed if this season is completed, in terms of games being played, or not. In my opinion, the moment has been lost, so I’m quite happy for them to to curtail it and by whatever means necessary, award us the title, decide relegation, etc.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

To be honest, I’m not arsed if this season is completed, in terms of games being played, or not. In my opinion, the moment has been lost, so I’m quite happy for them to to curtail it and by whatever means necessary, award us the title, decide relegation, etc.

I think a lot think similar. You just know the likes of Barber, Brady and Duxbury and a few others will go 'let's get pre season started in July ready for kick off the next season on 8 August' without a hint of irony or concern.

All this bollocks they come out with of 'Im just doing what's best for my club' tells you they dont really give a fuck about the virus but it's a handy vehicle in doing 'what's best' for them. There's so much duplicity going on here. If it's not the virus, it's we cannot play in neutral stadiums or with no crowds present but all those objections to re starting magically disappear as soon as you say 'season's finished.'

If they want to end this season now, there's fuck all us as fans can do. I dont want to see clubs in pre season training in July and kicking off 'next' season in August if they do want to end this one prematurely though. 'Next' season should be postponed until January at the earliest if that's the case.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Just avg. points the whole thing.

Give us the 19, relegate WHU, Everton and some other cunt.

Add 2 more years to Citeh's CL ban.

Restart next season when it's safe to do so.

FA to buy us Timo as compensation for not having a parade.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, No2 said:

Brighton have gone too early with this. They don't appear to be a very well run club. 

I think Brighton are a very well run club. I don't understand the idea either they've gone "too early". My understanding is the PL have another meeting tomorrow to set their timetable in the wake of Johnson's statement tonight. So assuming the government give the green light, then Brighton need to be fighting on whatever front they can by tomorrow, how much later could he leave it? Barber was on 5live last week. He was really clear he has no duty to football as a whole and only to Brighton. His job is to give Brighton the very best chance to stay up. Some form of the abandonment to the season or a delay in making a decision tomorrow helps his cause (with the uefa 25 may deadline in mind) - especially when you look at Brighton's 2020 form. I don't know why people would expect his position to be anything but what it is. 

The real surprise is the support he's getting from the current bottom 3. If he gains enough traction to get the season ended at this point, there seems to me to be an over 90% chance final positions will be declared on some sort of PPG, which can't help them - they would be both relegated and need to ensure they returned their share of the £1.2bn the premier league will lose or need to return to TV and sponsors should there be more games this season. For Barber maintaining premier league status is worth the possible hit on this season's money. That surely is not true for around 17 other clubs in the league. 

But as I've said all along, I think money will rule the day. There is enough self interest from the top 14 (which is a working majority for any rule changes) to ensure the season sees some sort of conclusion to hold onto the TV money. I think it was Steve parish saying this morning while domestic rights holders have been good up to now, that's not the same for overseas rights. In my opinion the season will be played out, Barber and Brady etc probably know this, but they're making sure they've been seem to fight for the interests of their club - which legally they're obliged to do anyway. 

I think the bottom six have agreed to stick together in the hope that time will run out and when thoughts turn to curtailment they'll threaten to try to block any decision which involves relegation. They only need one more supporter/abstainer to do that and they'll promise unanimity around the idea of an expanded Prem for next season. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

I think Brighton are a very well run club. I don't understand the idea either they've gone "too early". My understanding is the PL have another meeting tomorrow to set their timetable in the wake of Johnson's statement tonight. So assuming the government give the green light, then Brighton need to be fighting on whatever front they can by tomorrow, how much later could he leave it? Barber was on 5live last week. He was really clear he has no duty to football as a whole and only to Brighton. His job is to give Brighton the very best chance to stay up. Some form of the abandonment to the season or a delay in making a decision tomorrow helps his cause (with the uefa 25 may deadline in mind) - especially when you look at Brighton's 2020 form. I don't know why people would expect his position to be anything but what it is. 

The real surprise is the support he's getting from the current bottom 3. If he gains enough traction to get the season ended at this point, there seems to me to be an over 90% chance final positions will be declared on some sort of PPG, which can't help them - they would be both relegated and need to ensure they returned their share of the £1.2bn the premier league will lose or need to return to TV and sponsors should there be more games this season. For Barber maintaining premier league status is worth the possible hit on this season's money. That surely is not true for around 17 other clubs in the league. 

But as I've said all along, I think money will rule the day. There is enough self interest from the top 14 (which is a working majority for any rule changes) to ensure the season sees some sort of conclusion to hold onto the TV money. I think it was Steve parish saying this morning while domestic rights holders have been good up to now, that's not the same for overseas rights. In my opinion the season will be played out, Barber and Brady etc probably know this, but they're making sure they've been seem to fight for the interests of their club - which legally they're obliged to do anyway. 

Some good points. But if Liverpool ever resorted to 'doing what's best for the club' by trying to cheat the season and avoid relegation, then Id fuck football off.

I dont recall the club resorting to these tricks in 89 when we completed the season and ran out of steam against Arsenal at Anfield in that last game.

They simply cannot hide behind 'doing what's best for their club' while blocking every suggestion to get the season re started, avoid relegation as a price for neutral stadiums and in the next breath effectively say, 'let's start pre season in July and kick off next season on 8 August.'

7 minutes ago, aws said:

I think the bottom six have agreed to stick together in the hope that time will run out and when thoughts turn to curtailment they'll threaten to try to block any decision which involves relegation. They only need one more supporter/abstainer to do that and they'll promise unanimity around the idea of an expanded Prem for next season. 

I didn't think that The Premier League has the power to stop relegation, as they would need the consent of the football league to do this?

46 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

Brighton need to be fighting on whatever front they can by tomorrow,

They only need to be fighting on one front to guarantee they step  - the pitch FFS!

It would take three clubs to all overtake them and they have GD on their side.

Shithouses to the extreme

Clearly no agenda here, some unnamed PL club exec has said Liverpool could field a 'C' team once they have won the title citing the FA Cup games as examples. Good to see he thinks we'll wrap it up very quickly after any re start to come to that conclusion. After all, playing a 'C' team in the last 2 or 3 games isnt going to make much of a difference as relegation will likely be decided by then as well.

But more importantly, why hasnt he named mid table clubs like everton who have nothing to play for?

Im getting fucking wound up by all these shitehawks claiming Liverpool this, Liverpool that. Take a good hard look at yourselves in the mirror, you cunts.

Hopefully the club start throwing their weight around. We cannot be held ransom to this shithouse no marks. I genuinely cannot wait to give it back to all these cunts when we get our hands on that title, celebrating goals again once more rubbing their noses in it, pathetic fucking gimps.