You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

I think a lot of these things will be journalists making stories out of nothing for the sake of column inches.

Wasn't the no relegation thing only brought up by one club and was dismissed as quick as it was mentioned, yet it's made the papers every day for a week now?

Until the final decision is made, or a ball is kicked in anger, it'll be the far too many football journalists, in the far too many football publications or the far too many football TV shows, or the far too many football podcasts, having to fill the void of no actual football with big mountains made out of teeny weeny molehills. 

16 minutes ago, an tha said:

PL is becoming a laughing stock with all these "ideas" that keep coming up.

It would be madness to keep on pushing this neutral lark if it is likely to mean league restart is scuppered...just play behind closed doors at the grounds were meant to.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52558225

Maybe I'm completely stupid, but I don't quite understand why playing in built up areas is a social distancing issue? It's not like the players are knocking on people's doors and asking to stop over the night before the match is it?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Time, in that case, for a league of European giants - no promotion, no relegation just the biggest and the best putting on the highest quality football in history with the biggest broadcast deals ever and no riff-raff to drag it down.  

The way they're acting over this means they will be shafted if it ever comes to pass. This will be remembered. 

35 minutes ago, an tha said:

PL is becoming a laughing stock with all these "ideas" that keep coming up.

It would be madness to keep on pushing this neutral lark if it is likely to mean league restart is scuppered...just play behind closed doors at the grounds were meant to.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52558225

In fairness to the PL, they're trying to work around the kind of bad faith arguments that would make the Tories blush. We currently have Christian Purslow - remember him? Will you ever forget! - opposing neutral venues because Villa are "a club that prides itself on home form. Two-thirds of our wins this season have come at home". This is in contrast to all the clubs around them who get most of their points from away games, right? Karren Brady got slaughtered for saying the quiet bit out loud, so they're now resorting to weasel words to try and get off the relegation hook. It's not surprising that proposed solutions are struggling to keep up with these slippery jerks.

34 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

They are all just excuses to try and run down the clock one way or another. If the PL doesnt agree to and commit to a return to training and league programme resumption on Monday, I will be very, very afraid about the season not being completed.

I seriously couldn't give a fuck now. The whole thing is boring the tits off me, (not you by the way)

Just say to the bottom 3, no neutral venue, league cancelled and current positions stand. Surely they vote for neutral and at least give themselves a chance? Or is that too far out there?

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, JohnnyH said:

Man Utd are in about £400m of debt or something like that? A debt they can service fairly easily because of the behemoth commercial industry they are. But do their fans realise that if there is 18 months of no TV money that there is a very real chance they’d go bankrupt?

Everton will probably be gone if this season in cancelled. 

Sooner the economy starts opening up the better (assuming it’s as safe as can be mitigated) so these self-interested footballers calling for the season to be cancelled can answer why it’s ok for them to sit at home while everyone else has to go back to work. 

Brighton, West Ham and Villa look the most fucked to me. This could turn into a game of chicken if it hasn't already.

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

I think that's wishful thinking on his part. Merckle's going to block that and insist on 14 days quarantine.

EDIT, I see latest reports suggest this will not now be the case and 15 May is a doable target.

Huge boost for completing the season here imo. Boris won't want the Germans getting the football back and we can't - the hillarious thing is that much of his base support either don't like football or don't like us so would be delighted if we caned it for a few months. The clubs will be even more driven to complete it, because now there is a top level precedent.

The relegation candidates that don't want to resume the season, will they prefer the season end on current standings like they've done in France? Well I guess the teams currently in the bottom 3 won't be but that should be all the more incentive for them to get out there and play when the time comes instead of hoping the season is voided. 

29 minutes ago, deiseach said:

In fairness to the PL, they're trying to work around the kind of bad faith arguments that would make the Tories blush. We currently have Christian Purslow - remember him? Will you ever forget! - opposing neutral venues because Villa are "a club that prides itself on home form. Two-thirds of our wins this season have come at home". This is in contrast to all the clubs around them who get most of their points from away games, right? Karren Brady got slaughtered for saying the quiet bit out loud, so they're now resorting to weasel words to try and get off the relegation hook. It's not surprising that proposed solutions are struggling to keep up with these slippery jerks.

The other side of that argument is Villa play us at Carrow Road for example, at Anfield they have no chance, in Norwich there chances increase massively. 

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

They are all just excuses to try and run down the clock one way or another. If the PL doesnt agree to and commit to a return to training and league programme resumption on Monday, I will be very, very afraid about the season not being completed.

Personally I don't care too much if the season is completed, as long as we are awarded the title. It's a shit situation, not much anyone can do about it but if the season can't be safely resumed then just end it, with us being champions. I'm fine with that, don't care about the rest. If it gets voided however, there will be hell to pay as far as I'm concerned.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Baltar said:

Personally I don't care too much if the season is completed, as long as we are awarded the title. It's a shit situation, not much anyone can do about it but if the season can't be safely resumed then just end it, with us being champions. I'm fine with that, don't care about the rest. If it gets voided however, there will be hell to pay as far as I'm concerned.

The only way I think your outcome is acceptable is if they say they won't return to football until there's a vaccine. As that seems likely to be at least the summer of 21, then curtailing and going for a French option seems to make sense. However, we all know football will be back then, so finish the season. 

44 minutes ago, DalyanPete said:

I seriously couldn't give a fuck now. The whole thing is boring the tits off me, (not you by the way)

Just say to the bottom 3, no neutral venue, league cancelled and current positions stand. Surely they vote for neutral and at least give themselves a chance? Or is that too far out there?

I know exactly how you feel!

• Upvote 2

Cock Piss Purslow piping up now that Villa pride themselves on their home form so don't want to play at neutral grounds.

WHAT FUCKING DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE PLAYING IN FRONT OF AN EMPTY VILLA PARK OR AN EMPTY LONDON STADIUM?

image.png

8 minutes ago, Manny said:

Cock Piss Purslow piping up now that Villa pride themselves on their home form so don't want to play at neutral grounds.

WHAT FUCKING DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE PLAYING IN FRONT OF AN EMPTY VILLA PARK OR AN EMPTY LONDON STADIUM?

image.png

They've lost more home games than won in the league the fucking hair grip 

5 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

They've lost more home games than won in the league the fucking hair grip 

It is a bit unfair that they've lost a bigger proportion of their home fixtures to empty stadiums than some of the other relegation rivals, but I just don't get the opposition to neutral stadiums specifically (apart from to be awkward). If CockPiss wants to wait until they can try and survive by playing in front of a full, bouncing Villa Park, his club will go bust before they open the turnstiles.

If you want to complete the season you're doing it in front of empty stands either at your own ground or somewhere else - CockPiss doesn't want that. You could just bin off football for the season and leave the table as is, I'm sure CockPiss doesn't want that. If you just say "fuck it, 19/20 is a clusterfuck and a write-off" then Sky will demand another 75% of a season free of charge and Villa will have a fuck off hole in their accounts. I bet CockPiss doesn't want that either. So what does CockPiss fucking want?

1 hour ago, Stickman said:

Liverpool have made their position clear in Premier League meetings, and there's iron-clad reasoning behind it

https://www.liverpool.com/liverpool-fc-news/features/liverpool-fsg-premier-league-coronavirus-18205917.amp?__twitter_impression=true

The site's editor must have had a day off. Paul would have a field day with the errors in that article.

• Upvote 2