You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

17 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I think it is pretty clear that if an overwhelming majority of players are not on board , the league will not resume. And most players can probably still be swayed either way.

No play, no pay.

Free country, we cant make you play, but you don't get paid for refusing to do your jobs.  If you want out, you can go find another vocation lads. 

If the players hold court then their agents will milk the tits off this and we won't see football again until there are 0 cases, which will be around 2023, when their contracts come to an end. 

1 hour ago, SasaS said:

It might make a difference to players, particularly those that are not sure.

I think their clubs will have already sown that particular seed irrespective of some test results. The players will have the process fully explained to them and be able to ask questions and will not be viewing it from the outside like the rest of us.

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

I think I’ve read playing will be on a voluntary basis. 

As I’ve mentioned before, a professional footballer will be the safest occupation going when it restarts. As Parish said, going to the supermarket carries more danger.

That must make it true then. 

• Downvote 1

And as the no relegation argument gets a kicking from the tv broadcasters, here comes the desparate clubs' next argument.

They're concerned fans will congregate outside the neutral stadiums.

Premier League clubs fear that fans will break coronavirus social distancing guidelines even if football returns at neutral grounds.

Plans to play out the remaining 92 fixtures behind closed doors at neutral venues were discussed during a Premier League shareholders meeting last Friday.

Neutral venues have been considered by UK authorities, including the police and the Government, to minimise the risk of fans congregating at stadiums. Fans have also been warned that matches will be abandoned if they turn up at the neutral venues.

Premier League clubs fear that fans will break coronavirus social distancing guidelines even if football returns at neutral grounds.

Plans to play out the remaining 92 fixtures behind closed doors at neutral venues were discussed during a Premier League shareholders meeting last Friday.

Neutral venues have been considered by UK authorities, including the police and the Government, to minimise the risk of fans congregating at stadiums. Fans have also been warned that matches will be abandoned if they turn up at the neutral venues.

Premier League clubs are concerned that fans will congregate outside of neutral venues 

It is said that Brighton's Amex Stadium, West Ham's London Stadium, the Etihad Stadium, St Mary's and the King Power Stadium have all been mooted given their specific locations outside of city centres.

However, 10 Premier League clubs have raised concern over their fans ability to abstain from visiting the venues.

One Premier League executive told Telegraph: 'Are you telling me that some Liverpool fans are not going to try to find out where their team are playing when it's the game to win the title? Come on, of course, some are.

'Are we also trying to pretend that fans of Liverpool or Aston Villa won't congregate in the streets or at Anfield or Villa Park if they win the title or stay up on the final day?

'Of course the supporters' groups will obey the rules, just like the vast majority of the fans. But we know very well you can't account for all the fans. There is also the scenario that a rival group of fans could try to sabotage a game for another club by either finding out where they are playing or turning up.' 

Another Premier League executive added: 'If the Government and the police think that Manchester United fans only live in Manchester and therefore Manchester United not playing in Manchester is going to stop people turning up at the stadium, then they're either deluded or have no clue as to how the football industry works.

'Likewise Liverpool fans, likewise Arsenal fans, likewise Tottenham fans. The sort of people that turn up outside a football stadium when they've been told not to are the sort of people that would travel 5,000 miles without a ticket. They're not going to be put off by Manchester United or Liverpool's game being moved to Villa Park or Brighton or wherever. It's just bonkers. And it's so naive, it almost makes me cringe.'

Despite some clubs suggesting they have reached an agreement with their supporter's group to stay at home, others have admitted to concern over fans plans for 'viewing parties'.

One supporter's group told the Telegraph that they are worried about large groups of fans congregating in a neighbourhood to watch and celebrate matches.

This is a fear the Chair of Fifa's medical committee Michel D'Hooghe agrees with: 'Even if you play with closed doors, you will always have groups of fans coming together, even in secret places, to have a common feeling of the sporting event that they cannot live in the stadium.'

The Premier League will hold another meeting week to to reconvene and potentially vote on whether to press ahead with plans to revive the season.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8286149/Up-10-clubs-growing-concerned-crowd-control-Premier-League-restarts.html

I love the way we get singled out. It's all our fault ect ect. Just like when fans took seats from the main stand we were vilified as stealing seats but when west ham fans did it they were taking souvenirs. 

These clubs need kicking out the league with all the shit they are pulling. 

15 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

And as the no relegation argument gets a kicking from the tv broadcasters, here comes the desparate clubs' next argument.

Premier League clubs are concerned that fans will congregate outside of neutral venues 

It is said that Brighton's Amex Stadium, West Ham's London Stadium, the Etihad Stadium, St Mary's and the King Power Stadium have all been mooted given their specific locations outside of city centres.

However, 10 Premier League clubs have raised concern over their fans ability to abstain from visiting the venues.

One Premier League executive told Telegraph: 'Are you telling me that some Liverpool fans are not going to try to find out where their team are playing when it's the game to win the title? Come on, of course, some are.

'Are we also trying to pretend that fans of Liverpool or Aston Villa won't congregate in the streets or at Anfield or Villa Park if they win the title or stay up on the final day?

'Of course the supporters' groups will obey the rules, just like the vast majority of the fans. But we know very well you can't account for all the fans. There is also the scenario that a rival group of fans could try to sabotage a game for another club by either finding out where they are playing or turning up.' 

Another Premier League executive added: 'If the Government and the police think that Manchester United fans only live in Manchester and therefore Manchester United not playing in Manchester is going to stop people turning up at the stadium, then they're either deluded or have no clue as to how the football industry works.

'Likewise Liverpool fans, likewise Arsenal fans, likewise Tottenham fans. The sort of people that turn up outside a football stadium when they've been told not to are the sort of people that would travel 5,000 miles without a ticket. They're not going to be put off by Manchester United or Liverpool's game being moved to Villa Park or Brighton or wherever. It's just bonkers. And it's so naive, it almost makes me cringe.'

Despite some clubs suggesting they have reached an agreement with their supporter's group to stay at home, others have admitted to concern over fans plans for 'viewing parties'.

One supporter's group told the Telegraph that they are worried about large groups of fans congregating in a neighbourhood to watch and celebrate matches.

This is a fear the Chair of Fifa's medical committee Michel D'Hooghe agrees with: 'Even if you play with closed doors, you will always have groups of fans coming together, even in secret places, to have a common feeling of the sporting event that they cannot live in the stadium.'

The Premier League will hold another meeting week to to reconvene and potentially vote on whether to press ahead with plans to revive the season.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8286149/Up-10-clubs-growing-concerned-crowd-control-Premier-League-restarts.html

That is so patronizing.  

4 minutes ago, Leyton388 said:

I love the way we get singled out. It's all our fault ect ect. Just like when fans took seats from the main stand we were vilified as stealing seats but when west ham fans did it they were taking souvenirs. 

These clubs need kicking out the league with all the shit they are pulling. 

Yep, first club out of his mouth and it's 'Liverpool.' What a surprise, not.

1 minute ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

They fuck about then dock them points, the league will be getting finished.

No cunts are getting rewarded for failure, you could see Norwich would go down in our first game.

I actually think there will be a schism between PL clubs after this. I can see the top 5 or 6 clubs really pushing the boat out for greater autonomy, overseas tv cut and permanent places in the CL.

15 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

I actually think there will be a schism between PL clubs after this. I can see the top 5 or 6 clubs really pushing the boat out for greater autonomy, overseas tv cut and permanent places in the CL.

Should have happened years ago, we play Norwich at Anfield, how many are tuning in to watch them? Negotiate our own deals.

I wouldn’t be ruling anything out.  Everything is still on the table I think.  It’s just a big game of chess now.  It all depends on how tough the premier league directors are.  If one club decides they’re not playing what are they going to do?  It’s the nuclear option but do not put anything past any owner or team.  These early complaints are trying to get it sorted before they go down that route.  I didn’t envisage the broadcasters trying to rule out relegation but it’s obvious when you look at it.  It’s another twist with plenty more to come.

The main argument has to be there is a very big chance, almost a certainty that the situation is going to remain the same for 18 months or so.  So what do the players do?  Not play for 18 months?  I’m sure some of them would be happy with that because they’ve got their contracts and are already rich but football would die.  Also if that’s the case then you can’t cancel this season because what if it happens again do you just cancel next season as well halfway through and have about 30 teams in the prem in the end?

37 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

They fuck about then dock them points, the league will be getting finished.

No cunts are getting rewarded for failure, you could see Norwich would go down in our first game.

Bollocks, they won the second half.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Yep, first club out of his mouth and it's 'Liverpool.' What a surprise, not.

To be fair, they are referring specifically to winning the title.

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

That article is a load of hysterical shite. 

Virus or not, nothing in life is 100% safe or risk free. All social or economic activity requires a judgement about the right balance of cost, benefits and risks.

Will a few nobs travel thousands of miles to stand outside an empty stadium? Yes

Will that possibly contribute to a few more cases of the virus? Probably

Is that a reason to keep a £ trillion industry which directly or indirectly employs hundreds of thousands and benefits the well being of millions more shut for 12-18 months? No 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

If work call me back in and I say I'm not on board with that, they would fire me. It's okay for players to be anxious but if they're called to work like the rest of us, time to work or they could quit.

True.

Essentially, if the government and their “expert science” say it’s safe enough to play under certain conditions, what can clubs do? 

Players can opt out of playing, which is their prerogative. But clubs still need to find a way. They can’t say “our doctors say it isn’t safe” because, as much as we’ve all mocked the governments handling of this, their doctors won’t be as qualified in the handling of this as Whitty & Valance etc. 

Then it goes back to players don’t think it’s safe to be paid huge amounts to kick a ball about under the strictest of hygiene conditions but its safe enough for front line workers to go to work under significantly less safe conditions and pay.

9 hours ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Should have happened years ago, we play Norwich at Anfield, how many are tuning in to watch them? Negotiate our own deals.

Not having that at all , the smaller clubs are just as important as the rest of us - there's plenty of money knocking around in top flight football

• Upvote 1

New level of desperation on Twitter to stop the reds getting their hands on that tainted title .

Apparently PSG were awarded the title as it was already written into French law to award a team the title in the event of a curtailed season so it won’t happen over here.....Surprised no journalist picked this matter up over the weekend 

I do hope it’s a Liverpool fan who started it just to wind them up .

23 minutes ago, Stickman said:

New level of desperation on Twitter to stop the reds getting their hands on that tainted title .

Apparently PSG were awarded the title as it was already written into French law to award a team the title in the event of a curtailed season so it won’t happen over here.....Surprised no journalist picked this matter up over the weekend 

I do hope it’s a Liverpool fan who started it just to wind them up .

I don’t know, but if the reports of them refusing a restart without relegation are true, it’s obvious that whatever happens, the broadcasters aren’t going to accept an entirely inconsequential season. It sets a horrible precedent that tarnishes the brand completely; who is going to be as invested next season if the stakes are so low that all could be meaningless if another suspension / cancellation is necessary?

• Upvote 1