You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

Alleged lists of grounds. 

Surprised Arsenal is on that list. It’s not quite in the housing estate Highbury was but it’s not far off.

Not been to West Ham (by all accounts I’m not missing much) but I suppose the rest more or less make sense given their location & proximity to communities.

27E0E2EF-A867-4F2B-873C-5113DE9D3229.jpeg

Guest Alex_K

Winning the title at the Ethiad or Old Trafford would be particularly sweet after rivals' fume. Hopefully this moves forward.

36 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Alleged lists of grounds. 

Surprised Arsenal is on that list. It’s not quite in the housing estate Highbury was but it’s not far off.

Not been to West Ham (by all accounts I’m not missing much) but I suppose the rest more or less make sense given their location & proximity to communities.

27E0E2EF-A867-4F2B-873C-5113DE9D3229.jpeg

Why not Anfield?

41 minutes ago, SasaS said:

What if first round of testing players and stuff in England returns dozens of positives, which it could, given the virus is more widespread than in Germany?

The presumption is that upwards of 30% of the UK population has either had the virus or are asymptomatic. I think this is why they intend to quarantine players, officials and coaching staff etc.

Presumably they'd test them when they go into quarantine and after 14 days then every couple of days thereafter. There are going to be positive tests and no one should be surprised. Cologne have 3. I think the idea is they are re quarantined for 14 days but continue to train on their own, hopefully without any deterioration in health.

1 hour ago, Alex_K said:

Winning the title at the Ethiad or Old Trafford would be particularly sweet after rivals' fume. Hopefully this moves forward.

You'd think the fixtures would start where they left off. I'd anticipate the derby being played at either old trafford or the emptihad. Not sure about the Palace game, that could be at Wembley or perhaps West Ham's shit hole.

3 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

The presumption is that upwards of 30% of the UK population has either had the virus or are asymptomatic. I think this is why they intend to quarantine players, officials and coaching staff etc.

Presumably they'd test them when they go into quarantine and after 14 days then every couple of days thereafter. There are going to be positive tests and no one should be surprised. Cologne have 3. I think the idea is they are re quarantined for 14 days but continue to train on their own, hopefully without any deterioration in health.

I was thinking more of the public reaction, and the rection of those that dont want to resume the league, how safe it is to play.

56 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I was thinking more of the public reaction, and the rection of those that dont want to resume the league, how safe it is to play.

To be honest, I dont think it will make a difference to them shouting any more than now to 'void it.'

The cretins are already crawling over the story of a couple of Bundesliga players breaking 'social distancing' even though here at least, there's talk that 2 metres no long needs to apply.

4 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Quite right to. Doubt anybody would be happy paying c.£1bn for the 25%, the business end, to become glorified friendlies. 

B7B23ACC-81A5-48D1-9A31-C4F2618F11BE.png

That's actually some positive news and pressure from the broadcasters to head off this ludicrous 'no relegation' talk.

Honestly the clubs backing that stance must think everyone else is stupid or, they think they have more power than the have. Hopefully, the broadcasters will really push this now. They know subscribers at home and abroad arent going to pay to watch meaningless friendlies.

4 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

To be honest, I dont think it will make a difference to them shouting any more than now to 'void it.'

The cretins are already crawling over the story of a couple of Bundesliga players breaking 'social distancing' even though here at least, there's talk that 2 metres no long needs to apply.

It might make a difference to players, particularly those that are not sure.

5 minutes ago, Leyton388 said:

Winning the title at Old Trafford would be bloody wonderful.

I’d say there is little chance of us having a clincher or lifting the trophy at Old Trafford.

Something like Burnley might be at Old Trafford but I bet Everton, Palace & Citeh are all played in the Midlands.

I’d assume we’d get the trophy last game of the season now & I bet that’s at Wembley.

45 minutes ago, SasaS said:

It might make a difference to players, particularly those that are not sure.

I think I’ve read playing will be on a voluntary basis. 

As I’ve mentioned before, a professional footballer will be the safest occupation going when it restarts. As Parish said, going to the supermarket carries more danger.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I think I’ve read playing will be on a voluntary basis. 

As I’ve mentioned before, a professional footballer will be the safest occupation going when it restarts. As Parish said, going to the supermarket carries more danger.

I think it is pretty clear that if an overwhelming majority of players are not on board , the league will not resume. And most players can probably still be swayed either way.

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

That's actually some positive news and pressure from the broadcasters to head off this ludicrous 'no relegation' talk.

Honestly the clubs backing that stance must think everyone else is stupid or, they think they have more power than the have. Hopefully, the broadcasters will really push this now. They know subscribers at home and abroad arent going to pay to watch meaningless friendlies.

The more I think about this no relegation, I can’t see it happening.

If clubs are told they won’t get the TV money, they won’t null & void it.

I’d assume curtailment would also mean reduced TV money, which the top 15 won’t want and bottom 3 certainly won’t. 

That leaves no option but to finish it. 

They could do curtailment and no relegation, which even though I don’t agree with it, I could understand to an extent, but again, I’d assume that loses the TV money. Also, that just means next season is a cluster fuck - more teams, no guarantee of the season being break free & less time to finish. It’s illogical. 

As a poster said last night, I’d bet a compromise is made on the parachute payments next season - the TV money is split 23 ways or something + the standard parachute payments. 

Sporting ‘Tegridy indeed - just give us more money to fuck off.

A8293833-8B9E-46E9-94EB-CE631AA43475.jpeg

15 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I think it is pretty clear that if an overwhelming majority of players are not on board , the league will not resume. And most players can probably still be swayed either way.

I’d like think to think the penny would drop with them what privileged positions they are all in & that it’ll be far safer for them than the average schmuck.

It wouldn’t be a good look for the footballer refusing to do their job, even though they’d be under far safer conditions & 99% of them earn more in a week that your average nurse earns in a year. 

• Upvote 1