You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

From The Athletic:

https://theathletic.com/1789458/2020/05/02/premier-league-qa-neutral-venues-testing-arrangements-and-what-happens-next/

It is said that the bottom six were among the most strongly opposed the concept of neutral venues because they have crucial games coming up and see losing any home advantage as potentially damaging. Teams with less to play for — including Everton, Burnley and Crystal Palace — were generally more relaxed.

The representatives of the “big six” clubs were said to have been particularly quiet on the call. It has been suggested to The Athletic that they may have been briefed of the details discussed ahead of time, and there is even a suggestion that the Premier League’s elite clubs have formed a separate group to discuss the issues at hand.

Would this need a vote to go ahead?

It is unclear whether clubs are entitled to have a say in the proposal but one person involved in the call told The Athletic they thought the use of neutral venues would be a rule change, which requires a vote and the usual two-thirds majority — 14 of the 20 clubs. They added that they thought the vote might not pass. However, the clubs were told that playing in neutral venues is the only option. And without football matches, there are big question marks over that all-important broadcast and commercial revenue.

Having read that, there’s some ambiguity so I suspect they’ll probably not put it to a vote on the assumption that dissenters will cave in the face of pressure from broadcasters and top clubs. 

And:

Liverpool have simply stopped talking in these meetings and maintain a Sphinx-like cool.

The title is a how rather than an if, isn’t it?

5 hours ago, Stickman said:

Why not just have the two matches that are left to play so everyone have then played the same number of games then go with PPG .

The Villa - Sheffield one would be a good watch as so much is riding on it and as for the other one well Scario Aguero can just sit it out or go and pick the kids up from school 

They should let us play City at the Emptyhad. Win that and we'd be Champions.

38 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

From The Athletic:

https://theathletic.com/1789458/2020/05/02/premier-league-qa-neutral-venues-testing-arrangements-and-what-happens-next/

Having read that, there’s some ambiguity so I suspect they’ll probably not put it to a vote on the assumption that dissenters will cave in the face of pressure from broadcasters and top clubs. 

And:

The title is a how rather than an if, isn’t it?

As it should be. Only the churlish would try to deny us or say afterwards that it wasn't a real champion season. Christ, there hasn't been a team with this one's stats in effing decades.

53 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Brady doing absolutely everything to try and cheat her way out of relegation. Transparent piece of shit.

West Ham don't have home advantage anymore anyway. Their fans fucking hate the stadium, its a soulless lump of shite. 

I've come up with a solution. Number one thing is health and safety, so we wait the 3 or 4 months that will take to satisfy the baying mob. UEFA won't wait that long to start next season's competition so we simply let them start while English clubs sit out this years competitions. That is the those that can afford to pay the most paying the most and everyone else (85 other clubs) unaffected. Everyone plays all their games and get promoted or relegated based purley on what happens on the pitch. 

You then use the 12 or so free mid weeks to catch up on whatever game a are due.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Pretty sure the league can go ahead without West Ham if necessary.

Despite her publicised backtracking when she first came out with this null and void bullshit, all she has done is play to the gallery and say of course she didnt mean it. Yet here she is again, spouting the same old bullshit but in another way.

I used to have a bit of a soft spot for West Ham because although they'd won fuck all, they did have some quality players back in the day with Moore, Hirst, Peters and, who could forget Clyde Best? But they can fuck off now, I hope they and a few other PL clubs go bust.

It doesnt matter how you dress this up, they are cheating to make sure they stay in the PL for another season and to make it worse, they are hiding behind the virus. If they get their way, you know these knuckle draggers will be taunting us that we didnt win the league while keeping their faces straight about being in a league they likely would have been relegated from.

Just give us the fucking trophy or dont. Either shit or get off the fucking pot. Im getting tired of their fucking about. It's like the first time you popped your cherry and the girl was like 'you want to put your dick in me? Well maybe I'll let you and maybe I wont.' In some ways, I hope a load of fucking clubs do go bankrupt, no doubt they'll blame us for that as well.

It might just be me. But the journalists I follow on twitter seem to be changing their tune. For example, Oliver Holt tonight having a pop at all the fans calling for the season to be voided “appear to be fans of Everton and Manchester Utd. I wonder what the connection could be”. And there’s been more of that today. 

Even John Cross, who’s constantly spinning the line about how can we think of this while people die, has started talking, about a canx season being the end of so many clubs.

Sa another saying that we should just finish the season in September/October as what’s the rush?

Even the bottom 6 clubs who are challenging this are all being called out as self-serving hypocrites. 

Kind of feels like that Athletic article has changed minds. Or something has. But there’s been a shift. 

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

Despite her publicised backtracking when she first came out with this null and void bullshit, all she has done is play to the gallery and say of course she didnt mean it. Yet here she is again, spouting the same old bullshit but in another way.

I used to have a bit of a soft spot for West Ham because although they'd won fuck all, they did have some quality players back in the day with Moore, Hirst, Peters and, who could forget Clyde Best? But they can fuck off now, I hope they and a few other PL clubs go bust.

It doesnt matter how you dress this up, they are cheating to make sure they stay in the PL for another season and to make it worse, they are hiding behind the virus. If they get their way, you know these knuckle draggers will be taunting us that we didnt win the league while keeping their faces straight about being in a league they likely would have been relegated from.

Just give us the fucking trophy or dont. Either shit or get off the fucking pot. Im getting tired of their fucking about. It's like the first time you popped your cherry and the girl was like 'you want to put your dick in me? Well maybe I'll let you and maybe I wont.' In some ways, I hope a load of fucking clubs do go bankrupt, no doubt they'll blame us for that as well.

She didnt like you very much did she?