You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

6 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Best case scenario is the season being ended with us declared champions and the Champions League cancelled without being completed. 

Imagine the piss boiling on Twitter as we remain World, European and English champions when football returns. 

he who laughs last laughs loudest :)

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

We won't win a fucking point when it restarts will we?

Thats the thing we could quite easily loose our first 2  then we get the nay sayers saying its not done and dusted , then it get pulled for some players getting the virus, thats a worse situation than now.

9 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

City have an empty seat advantage they know the atmosphere it creates. Everton players won't know when it's a throwing or a handball.

Everton players wouldn't want to be relying on their fans to tell them if it's handball, given their propensity for calling for it when the ball strikes an opposition player anywhere above the ankle.

8 hours ago, RobbieOR said:

As funny as that would be it would then give us no motivation to finish the season. 

Doesn’t really matter what we think. The majority vote will determine. But even having said that, all the Liverpool players will want to win it “properly” and finish out the season. I think we’ll be up for it more than any team. 

Why not just have the two matches that are left to play so everyone have then played the same number of games then go with PPG .

The Villa - Sheffield one would be a good watch as so much is riding on it and as for the other one well Scario Aguero can just sit it out or go and pick the kids up from school 

29 minutes ago, kemskem said:

Why is the 14 day quarantine necessary? I thought they were doing regular tests.

I think it's because they reckon you can have the virus for upto 14 days before you show any symptoms. So, by quaratining players for 14 days then testing, they can be sure no one has brought it into the lockdown locations. In effect, it creates the baseline to test from.

13 hours ago, Creator Supreme said:

We won't win a fucking point when it restarts will we?

Jesus man. Essentially we need 6 points from 19 games. If we beat City then we have won the league.

No chance a team like us bottle it. I fancy City to drop at least 4 points anyhow. Some of their players will be going through the motions regardless of whether this had never happened or the current situation. They will have their eyes on the Champions League.

Our lads will be like demons when it comes back to get it over the line.

4 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Jesus man. Essentially we need 6 points from 19 games. If we beat City then we have won the league.

No chance a team like us bottle it. I fancy City to drop at least 4 points anyhow. Some of their players will be going through the motions regardless of whether this had never happened or the current situation. They will have their eyes on the Champions League.

Yep!

Even if I entertain the idea that we could, somehow, bungle it from here, losing it that way would be infinitely preferable to having it voted away from us in a boardroom. It would be everlasting fodder for bitter rivals, but at least it would be fair.

9 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Fuck me, weekends without football, indeed any decent sport, is thoroughly depressing.

Agreed. Even if we weren’t top by miles I’d want football back. No sport at all leaves a massive void in my weekends, I can handle the summer without football as I enjoy other sports like cricket, golf, F1, athletics etc. These knobheads wanting the season voided should be careful what they wish for, because it could be a year or more if we have to wait until it’s deemed completely safe.

1 hour ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

I think it would be hard for us as we usually aren’t great after a break but to be honest I don’t think anyone will be flying over all the games. But I’d be surprised if City don’t go through the motions they won’t want to be there as in their mind the league is gone and it’s if the Champions League is played in August will be their main objective. 

Yeah, in the past, having a break has seen us return a bit ropey. But this season, we've had the same number of breaks (excepting the current suspension) as in previous seasons and we havent dropped points.

The Watford defeat wasnt after a break while conversely the Norwich away win was.

This suspension isnt going to be like an international or first 'winter' break. It's going to be more like the start of a season. Of course we could be a bit shit but I doubt it and, all the other teams will be the same.

Im presuming when we re start, the fixtures will be played in the same order as they would had there been no suspension. That means we'd play the derby, on a neutral ground as well and then Palace. city would have arsenal and Burnley.

1 hour ago, SasaS said:

It will come down to which team can handle being 10 to 15 pounds overweight best. Charlie Adam must be thinking he is cursed to miss out on his best chance to shine in the PL.

Big Games James will still monster the bleep tests.

• Upvote 2

There is a mindset out there that genuinely believes voiding the current season will kill off the coronavirus, thus ending the pandemic and the lockdowns to get life back on track again. Everything will be absolutely fine for the new season simply because this season will cease to exist. People of this mindset are a drain on the world's resources.

• Upvote 4