You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

I understand a few players being concerned about restarting at the moment.  In fact, I think it's a bit unfair of fans to call out a player for saying it.  We don't know if that player has a small child with a respiratory issue, or a wife with a medical problem that could become life threatening by Coved-19.  He may think that his loved one catching C-19 is a death sentence (whether that's correct or not), so dismissing that concerns is unfair, I think.

However, the issue they are going to have is when early June has arrived and football is or was due to start.  By then you would expect a lot more service industries to be open to some extent.  So in June the same footballer is going to say he's not working, while all around him, every business to one extent or another IS now open.  While every person in nearly all walks of life will be expected to get back to work (albeit with restrictions, just like the footballers will have when playing in empty stadiums), it'll be very hard for that same footballer to then justify sitting at home and refusing to train and play. Any moral stand they think they are making is going to look very empty when every other person in the world will be back out of lockdown to one extent or another.

But having said all that, just like my company can't force me to work if I don't want, said footballer can refuse to play.  But under no circumstances should this mean football doesn't re-start.  It just means that fella won't go to work.  I can do that too.  But chances are my company will sack me.  So that footballer can and should expect the same.  And should expect a legal notice preventing him from working for someone else too.  And then probably a bill to pay back a hefty bit of his transfer value.

2 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

I understand a few players being concerned about restarting at the moment.  In fact, I think it's a bit unfair of fans to call out a player for saying it.  We don't know if that player has a small child with a respiratory issue, or a wife with a medical problem that could become life threatening by Coved-19.  He may think that his loved one catching C-19 is a death sentence (whether that's correct or not), so dismissing that concerns is unfair, I think.

However, the issue they are going to have is when early June has arrived and football is or was due to start.  By then you would expect a lot more service industries to be open to some extent.  So in June the same footballer is going to say he's not working, while all around him, every business to one extent or another IS now open.  While every person in nearly all walks of life will be expected to get back to work (albeit with restrictions, just like the footballers will have when playing in empty stadiums), it'll be very hard for that same footballer to then justify sitting at home and refusing to train and play. Any moral stand they think they are making is going to look very empty when every other person in the world will be back out of lockdown to one extent or another.

But having said all that, just like my company can't force me to work if I don't want, said footballer can refuse to play.  But under no circumstances should this mean football doesn't re-start.  It just means that fella won't go to work.  I can do that too.  But chances are my company will sack me.  So that footballer can and should expect the same.  And should expect a legal notice preventing him from working for someone else too.  And then probably a bill to pay back a hefty bit of his transfer value.

I blame the media. I mean they were jumping over themselves  to let us know that Sergio Aguero, one of the best players in the league and Glen Murray, a solid English pro were worried, yet when the Spanish winger at West Ham or John Egan (good defender to be fair) say they want to recommence, it's barely mentioned. There's an agenda here and for all we know Aguero could have just stated the obvious that the virus concerns him and suddenly it's put in the context of the premier league returning.

17 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

I blame the media. I mean they were jumping over themselves  to let us know that Sergio Aguero, one of the best players in the league and Glen Murray, a solid English pro were worried, yet when the Spanish winger at West Ham or John Egan (good defender to be fair) say they want to recommence, it's barely mentioned. There's an agenda here and for all we know Aguero could have just stated the obvious that the virus concerns him and suddenly it's put in the context of the premier league returning.

Anyone thinking Sky Sports (and by association, Sky News) and BT Sports don't want football back as soon as possible are mad.  They will be DESPERATE for the football to come back.  Both will be losing subscribers to their biggest earner hand over fist at the moment.  Football gone for the long term could very easily bankrupt them. They literally have nothing left to show.

The fact is, Aguero saying he doesn't want to play is big reportable news.  However, in the background you can be sure Sky and BT will be demonstrating how safe it is for them to get their people into grounds to show football on tv.  

3 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

Anyone thinking Sky Sports (and by association, Sky News) and BT Sports don't want football back as soon as possible are mad.  They will be DESPERATE for the football to come back.  Both will be losing subscribers to their biggest earner hand over fist at the moment.  Football gone for the long term could very easily bankrupt them. They literally have nothing left to show.

The fact is, Aguero saying he doesn't want to play is big reportable news.  However, in the background you can be sure Sky and BT will be demonstrating how safe it is for them to get their people into grounds to show football on tv.  

Not the broadcasting media. The print media. Sorry should have said that. Pure clickbait with an agenda.

15 minutes ago, Mathewbet1 said:

this wont be a blueprint for this season but also the start of next, because we are going to be in  similar position come september.

And I think that's what will be getting said to the players who are worried about playing. Firstly they will try and allay their safety fears, and then they will be saying that if you refuse to play now, then you are more than likely refusing to play until next March or April, which in truth means the following September.  Glen Murray is 36, so that's effectively his career over if he's giving up the next year and a half.  Aguero is 31 so that applies to him also to a degree.  I think they'd change their minds. 

1 minute ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Not the broadcasting media. The print media. Sorry should have said that. Pure clickbait with an agenda.

The sports sections of the print media will be desperate for football to be back.  With no football for 18 months Henry Winter and the likes will have very little writing income, and no TV income from the likes of the Sunday Supplement. They will all want football back.  They are the ones writing about the affects of C19 on foorball so I don't agree with you there either.

10 hours ago, Stickman said:

I’m shocked I tell you.

Man City fans @MoSurrey and @IanCheeseman took view from 2000 football (Man City) fans and wrote to the the FA with this

@henrywinter

to respectfully consider: No football behind closed doors; Cancel the season now to show respect for all the lost lives to the pandemic & the heroic acts of sacrifice shown by so many."

I fail to see why football should have this honour bestowed upon them , why not local chippies or newsagents who’ve also stayed open during tough times...

"to respectfully consider: No football behind closed doors; Cancel the season now to show respect for all the lost lives to the pandemic & the heroic acts of sacrifice shown by so many."

"to respectfully consider: No football behind closed doors; Cancel the season now to show respect for all the lost lives to the pandemic & the heroic acts of sacrifice shown by so many."

Shouldnt they be petitioning their club give up the EFL Cup they won as this virus was growing not only around the world but this country, out of respect for those who have lost their lives and to recognise the sacrifice made by many then?

10 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

UEFA has set a deadline of 25 May for national leagues to tell it whether they intend ending their season or provide detailed plans how they are going to complete it.

All because UEFA wants to complete it's flagship CL, lesser EL and restart the Nations League. It's a fucking joke how this is being allowed to set the agenda for national leagues.

They said 25 May is more of a guideline than a deadline and what UEFA are saying changes every week, depending on situation, everyone needs to take a lot into account, nobody is in a position to demand anything.

Another baffling thing is that PL seems to be in a rush to decide if they will resume or not, which depends largely on changing outside factors, yet the decision, will they void or award the title, European spots, relegation according to the current table, which does not depend on changing outside factors will be made sometime in the future, no rush.

There's too many hoops to jump through for this to be a serious starter, the government cant even manage to get enough PPE to front line staff never mind manage the re-start up of professional sport. The will is there to restart and i hope it does, but you'll get a few more complaining like Aguero in the next few days. Guarantee at least 2-3 clubs will throw a spanner in the works at todays meeting. 

Any players too scared to play should be offered the opportunity to sit out until a vaccine is available and be enrolled into the furlough scheme at £2,500 per month. 

Let's see how many of them take up that offer. 

my guess is all concerns will suddenly evaporate. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, devilsadvocate said:

Any players too scared to play should be offered the opportunity to sit out until a vaccine is available and be enrolled into the furlough scheme at £2,500 per month. 

Let's see how many of them take up that offer. 

my guess is all concerns will suddenly evaporate. 

This goes back to the thing I find most objectionable about the moral high-grounders. Oh, it’s fine for key worker schmucks like me to have to work at great risk, but footballers playing in a sanitised behind closed doors environment would be an outrage. It’s horse-shit and completely demolishes the argument that saving lives is a genuine consideration. As soon as the schools open, I bet the phony cunts will be queuing outside the gates with their kids as part of the national effort to greatly increase the spread of the virus.

I haven’t even been given the option of furlough! 

• Upvote 5

Perception of risk is a funny thing. These are ultra-fit athletes in their 20s and 30s, so their odds of dying from the disease are minuscule. Much lower than, for instance, their lifetime risk of being killed in a road accident. But I don't see any of them giving up their supercars.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Perception of risk is a funny thing. These are ultra-fit athletes in their 20s and 30s, so their odds of dying from the disease are minuscule. Much lower than, for instance, their lifetime risk of being killed in a road accident. But I don't see any of them giving up their supercars.

They probably care about more people then just themselves. 

Foreign notion for Zionist scum, I know. 

• Downvote 2

22 minutes ago, Grinch said:

They probably care about more people then just themselves. 

Foreign notion for Zionist scum, I know. 

Doesn't neg without saying why apparently. 

Yet another lie to add to the lie ladder. 

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Doesn't neg without saying why apparently. 

Yet another lie to add to the lie ladder. 

Prefer not to hear any more lies from Pinocchio tbf. 

It's behavior has been downright disgusting on this thread. 

• Downvote 1

This is the new world we are in now till a vaccine is found wont be fans in ground.Playing in june will be the same as in November,pundits,players and fans need to recognise this new reality if you cancel this season then you need to cancel next one too as there wont be any change in circumstances.The disease is not going anywhere football along with rest of society is going to live with it till vaccine found.The country prob next month will start to go back to work with disease around.

15 minutes ago, Grinch said:

Prefer not to hear any more lies from Pinocchio tbf. 

It's behavior has been downright disgusting on this thread. 

I cant see anything wrong with what he just posted to be fair. 

Cant say I agree with the notion of fining or vilifying players who dont want to play given the circumstances. How the clubs deal with that, Ive no ideal other than, for want of a better word, education and showing the players what is happening elsewhere.

But, the players saying they are scared of playing, who am I to criticise them given Ive swung from not being concerned to concerned a few times in all of this?

The players will want re assurance and evidence they are as safe as can be. Surely that assurance will come, in part, from what they can see with Bundesliga clubs, hopefully Serie A, la Liga, Portugal and others all returning to training themselves and all \ most of those players being confident in the testing and way forward? If the PL instigates the same regime or better, then Id expect the majority of players to be ok.

And the big question remains, if they still arent ok with this, what are they going to do come July and pre season for the 'next' season would be starting to ramp up anyway?