You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

5 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

It's the one thing they've took the piss out of us for years and the possibility of it ending is almost upon them. That's why they are flapping. They genuinely believed that they would win the league before us in their new stadium. 

After that they will have to invent some scenario where it's either a tainted title due to it being given to us or because we paid off all the refs, used drugs etc. 

25 years without a trophy yet they care more about us going 5 more years than that to win one particular trophy. 

Fazfuckinzactly

Player revolt a serious concern for clubs. Presumably the players wont want to play in the next season starting August as well?

Sorry, behind a paywall again.

Premier League clubs fear they will lay themselves open to negligence claims from players were they to contract coronavirus once the season resumes.

There is concern among a number of clubs, in the build-up to Friday’s Premier League meeting when the re-start of the season is now expected to be discussed, that they will be accused of failing in their duty as employers to protect the welfare of the players.

Telegraph Sport has spoken to clubs who remain highly sceptical that the season can begin again on June 8 even if, as expected, the Government eases some of the lockdown measures when they are reviewed on May 7.

There is also concern that with other European leagues – France, the Netherlands and Belgium – having been shut down by their Governments, players from those countries in the Premier League would be more reluctant to play again in England during that time....

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/04/30/premier-league-clubs-fear-negligence-claims-players-should-fall/

And there's more. Depressing. Sounds like some clubs have got to their players and are going to use this as a backdoor to end the league season. And yet once again, they blow hard about safety in June and July but miraculously, it isnt an issue when training in July for the 'next' season starting in August and September.

Just award us the title now and get it over with. Then I hope overseas tv rights holders sues the fucking arse out of the lot of them.

The Premier League faces a pivotal 24 hours, with serious scepticism among some players and chief executives over the feasibility of new detailed proposals to resume the season on June 8 that have now been circulated to clubs.

The Telegraph has seen the outline of the plan to restart football, beginning with testing players and staff for Covid-19 on the weekend of May 9-10 followed by full contact training on May 18, which will be discussed by the clubs at a shareholders meeting on Friday morning. In a series of developments ahead of the Government announcement on lockdown measures next Thursday, there was:

The Premier League has proposed to clubs that after testing of players on the weekend of May 9-10, they begin training in small groups the following Monday. Some clubs, including Tottenham Hotspur and Arsenal, below, have already had players back working individually at their training grounds....

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/04/30/new-threat-premier-leagues-june-8-restart-plan-players-club/

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, SasaS said:

This would presumably be happening in mid-July, by then people gathering to celebrate may even be allowed, with some distancing provisions. Why is everybody, including the Mayor talking like situation will just stay the same in 9 weeks time? Most people would be using public transport and going to work by then.

I posted my opinion from Turkey 2 hours ahead of the UK, i can only assume that chippy tits, like most good blues reads TLW and thought, "i'll have some of that"

I apologise. 

The thoughts of the media, Big Joe, middle England, ex players and a motley crew of premiership players (some of whom could have had words put in their mouths) isn't going to change the primary factors at work. 

Each club stands to lose 100 odd million. That could destroy most clubs into oblivion. Even a giant like us has had to put our ground increase on hold and would seem to be sitting on the fence over signing a top player for a bargain in Werner. Woodward came out straight and essentially said that United will be reluctant to spend much in the summer. That highlights the realities of the situation. That might be a temporary thing but it does highlight clubs are shitting it behind the scenes. Each club is a business and while tribalism and nastiness is the call card of a growing number of football fans in this country, it doesn't come into it for the owners. With the exception of a limited number of clubs, they will all want to complete the season. 

Secondly, the Bundesliga is very likely to restart. La Liga is likely to restart. The prime minister in Italy is in a civil war with his sports minister but seems to want Serie A to resume. Portugal are restarting. Like fuck, our goons will want it said our country can't restart, while Johnny Foreigner can.

Funny how nobody mentions John Egan and the lad from West Ham that I heard on the radio who both seem to want to play again. Most players will want to train and play. They will miss doing what they do and seeing their mates.

This shite about if they die is imcredible. They will be the safest people in the country. It's not like they're working the doors on Tesco.

12 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Knew this would come with the players, refuse to play stop their wages, they will all be fully tested for fuck sake. Alternatively just cancel the fucking thing and give us the title. 

You just know the likes of Brady and a few other chief execs will be going to the players and saying 'Oh yes, we understand your concerns. We'd rather not play the rest of the league either and as you know, I got my arse handed to me on a silver platter when I first mentioned this.

If anyone in the squad doesnt want to play we'll understand that. If you're the goalkeeper, please do not feel under any pressure to say you will play because you think we'll risk the life of an untried under 18 academy keeper in your place. We will support you and we will make your feelings know to the terribly naughty Premier League Board and our partner clubs CEOs blah, blah, fucking blah.

Oh and by the way, everyone report for next's season's training in the first week of August. It's a little later than previous seasons for obvious reasons but we know, everyone will be looking forward to it, raring to go and ensuring we get a good start to the next Premier League season.'

I’m shocked I tell you.

Man City fans @MoSurrey and @IanCheeseman took view from 2000 football (Man City) fans and wrote to the the FA with this

@henrywinter

to respectfully consider: No football behind closed doors; Cancel the season now to show respect for all the lost lives to the pandemic & the heroic acts of sacrifice shown by so many."

I fail to see why football should have this honour bestowed upon them , why not local chippies or newsagents who’ve also stayed open during tough times...

"to respectfully consider: No football behind closed doors; Cancel the season now to show respect for all the lost lives to the pandemic & the heroic acts of sacrifice shown by so many."

"to respectfully consider: No football behind closed doors; Cancel the season now to show respect for all the lost lives to the pandemic & the heroic acts of sacrifice shown by so many."

• Upvote 1

There is clearly a campaign going on in the media against resuming the league, I don't understand what's the rush with decisions. I would postpone the decision for a week or two, try to ease clubs and players who are reluctant into the idea, wait until the society opens up more, numbers improve, other leagues show they are serious and it can be done and ask them again if they want to play. Or if there is no improvement, eventually abandon the idea. The French may end up in a situation where it would be possible to play in the second half of June, but the league has already been cancelled. 

And like it was said already many times, June/July or August / September, what is the big difference, similar safety protocols would have to be in place, similar level of risk somebody could get infected would remain.

6 hours ago, Stickman said:

Why would you want to congregate outside an empty stadium .?

Thing is, plenty of knobheads will. The vast, vast majority won’t. But some knobheads will, and there’ll be enough to make it a story.

15 minutes ago, SasaS said:

There is clearly a campaign going on in the media against resuming the league, I don't understand what's the rush with decisions. I would postpone the decision for a week or two, try to ease clubs and players who are reluctant into the idea, wait until the society opens up more, numbers improve, other leagues show they are serious and it can be done and ask them again if they want to play. Or if there is no improvement, eventually abandon the idea. The French may end up in a situation where it would be possible to play in the second half of June, but the league has already been cancelled. 

And like it was said already many times, June/July or August / September, what is the big difference, similar safety protocols would have to be in place, similar level of risk somebody could get infected would remain.

UEFA has set a deadline of 25 May for national leagues to tell it whether they intend ending their season or provide detailed plans how they are going to complete it.

All because UEFA wants to complete it's flagship CL, lesser EL and restart the Nations League. It's a fucking joke how this is being allowed to set the agenda for national leagues.

Aguero could wait until he's 53 for football to restart and he won't have spent the interest he's earned since he last played, Glen Murray will have retired before a fan is allowed back in the stadium. I'm not a fan of bashing players just because they're rich but with the greatest respect to them they don't represent the 2000 players not at elite level clubs, they represent the 5% at the top that have bank balances with loads of zeros.  

The players at the bottom 2 leagues and probably most of the championship aren't in a position to say I'll stick the feet up for 18 months with no pay and wait for a cure. I'd love to see the figures for contract lengths in these leagues, I'd guess 60% plus are out of in contract next summer. They can't wait for cure, it's play or fuck off for them.

2 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

This might concentrate a few minds at the next PL meeting.

It'd be rather amusing if the PL gets cancelled- for moral, humanitarian reasons of course- we get awarded the title and Everton, with their enormous wage bill and reliance on tv money go under. 

I'd be very surprised if players didn't want to restart. 

Surely to fuck they're bored as well sitting at home, listening to their whingy kids like the rest of us? 

I've been looking after my two for 7 weeks now while the missus is working from home, and at this stage I'm tempted to volunteer in an icu unit, without any ppe just to get a break. 

• Upvote 2

The FA should but won’t come out with anything on deciding the title just to stop the bullshit but they and the press know that they need to fill columns so pushing the void scenario attracts views, heated discussion and more importantly clicks and advertising revenue especially when they have fuck all to talk about. 

The Vitriol from other clubs fans is crazy, I know most are using it as entertainment but they lack any awareness of themselves and the impact voiding the season will have to their own clubs. Wouldn’t be surprised to see a few clubs go bust and then we will see the same idiots demanding for support from the league or bigger clubs. The safety factor will be long gone then.