You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

If/when the season should be resumed is an incredibly hard decision with loads of factors to take into consideration, including crucially the health of people. 

In contrast, the decision of what to do with the results is incredibly easy. It's simple, did the season count or not? It's a yes or no question. Do you value the integrity of the game, or do you not care and just reset things like nothing happened? That's it. 

To me, as long as everyone is on the same number of games played, and you can fix that by playing one or two games behind closed doors, that question should be easy to answer if you have a shred of integrity and fairness. Hopefully, the people in charge will see sense. 

8 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

The worst thing the Premier league could do would be to reward the type of mentality that's been shown by the likes of many Everton and City fans. Its pandering to the absolute worst aspect of football, tribalism and hate over all else. 

The 'moral high ground' fakers will all be singing about it regardless of the outcome. Sick cunts 

Hopefully we end up with the trophy but the ironic thing is Everton, City, United and other fans have known for months we were going to be champions and have tried to discredit it with VAR and tainted title shite . 

The a pandemic turns up and rather than just laugh when the league was suspended and unlikely to restart and think to themselves this is the next best thing as what a shit way to get the title at least we don’t have to put up with a parade. No they had to get rabidly worked up spewing out bile and demanding we get fuck all even after the premier league and Uefa have a few times said “null and void” is off the table and even if it means clubs going to the wall.

26 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Kunt Aguero talking about how scared he is to play against, top news item on BBC Sport. Imagine if key-workers who are in genuinely unsafe environments were given as much attention! Alas, we’re paid too little for our lives to be of consequence.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52493894

So they are all holed up, but scared shitless to play against other holed-up footballers?

47 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Kunt Aguero talking about how scared he is to play against, top news item on BBC Sport. Imagine if key-workers who are in genuinely unsafe environments were given as much attention! Alas, we’re paid too little for our lives to be of consequence.

In normal circumstance he’d be getting torn a new one by Daily Mail readers but now he’ll be seen as a hero 

49 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Saw that earlier in an on line paper. I actually think players will be the biggest obstacle after the Government myself. Get a handful at a couple of clubs in any league who say they dont want to play, it's not safe despite them being better protected than the US President and you have a stand off.

Forcing the players to play will be nigh on impossible and seeing as many players in a club get on, one for all and all for one and all that.

24 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Saw that earlier in an on line paper. I actually think players will be the biggest obstacle after the Government myself. Get a handful at a couple of clubs in any league who say they dont want to play, it's not safe despite them being better protected than the US President and you have a stand off.

Forcing the players to play will be nigh on impossible and seeing as many players in a club get on, one for all and all for one and all that.

Glenn Murray is already crying it on Skysports. Saying the hygienic conditions and rules being proposed for the restart are "farcical".

If players are going to say they are scared to play out the season, then they should be forced to donate all the wages they would be paid for the two uncompleted months, in my opinion. 

• Like 1

Not much you can do if a player doesnt want to play. People react differently some are more anxious than others. Still he should be glad he's not a frontline worker from doctor to shelf stacker whose anxieties and health are ignored. That's not Agueros fault but I wonder if the fans who come out fighting to stop the league on behalf of Aguero now he has spoken have been fighting to stop people being forced to work in B&Q and the likes, the low skilled none necessary jobs or have they been queuing up for non essential items themselves.

Their only cause is they don't want Liverpool to win the league. They'd take any scenario that prevents it from happening. The PSG decision shown them up for what they are. The veil fell, safety concerns took a backburner for another angle.

Nut job Aulas threatens legal action over French League decision. The man's a fucking loon.

Lyon are exploring the possibility of taking legal action against Ligue 1 after officials decided to end the season using the current standings.

The French top-flight was cancelled on Tuesday after the country's Prime Minister Edouard Philippe decreed that sport could not be played until September. 

And now, as a result, the organisation has opted to determine its various spots - including champions, Europe and relegation - using the league table as it stands. 

Olympique Lyonnais proposed as early as Tuesday that the League study an alternative solution which would allow the Championship to be ended and thus preserve the fairness inherent in any sporting competition and to be in line with UEFA's proposals based on sporting merit according to objective, transparent and non-discriminatory principles.

'This solution shared by other clubs was based on the principle of play-offs, a title of champion acquired by PSG, with a calendar limited to three weeks, consistent with health constraints, and an innovative formula which normally could have interested broadcasters, currently lacking content, as well as sports betting and all other economic players in the football industry.' 

This week club president Jean-Michel Aulas revealed his idea for a play-off to decide the rest of the Ligue 1 season, and said the games could be played in August.

He told l'Equipe: 'I have attentively read what UEFA were saying, who wanted us to finish all the competitions, even if we could maybe play in a smaller format, but in August. 

'So, I think there is an alternative way to finish this season with a series of play-offs for the top and the bottom of the table that could happen in August or even in July behind closed doors. 

'We need not rush. I tell myself that perhaps with these rules about de-escalating the quarantine, there is perhaps still room to finish the season.'  

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-8275089/Lyon-considering-legal-action-against-Ligue-1-cancelling-season-current-standings.html

6 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Not much you can do if a player doesnt want to play. People react differently some are more anxious than others. Still he should be glad he's not a frontline worker from doctor to shelf stacker whose anxieties and health are ignored. That's not Agueros fault but I wonder if the fans who come out fighting to stop the league on behalf of Aguero now he has spoken have been fighting to stop people being forced to work in B&Q and the likes, the low skilled none necessary jobs or have they been queuing up for non essential items themselves.

Their only cause is they don't want Liverpool to win the league. They'd take any scenario that prevents it from happening. The PSG decision shown them up for what they are. The veil fell, safety concerns took a backburner for another angle.

Yep. I said before that players shouldn’t be forced to play - obviously it’s only fair that refusal to do so should result in docked wages as it would if I, branded a key worker, declared that I would be staying home on safety grounds, but the act of refusal from an individual is not something I have a problem with.

20 minutes ago, Supremolad said:

Portuguese league to restart on May 30.

“This return of football will only be for the Primeira Liga and with tight restrictions,” Prime Minister António Costa said.
“The games will be played behind closed doors, with no spectators in the stands, whatever the stadium, be it a league match or the Portuguese Cup final.”

10 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Nut job Aulas threatens legal action over French League decision. The man's a fucking loon.

Lyon are exploring the possibility of taking legal action against Ligue 1 after officials decided to end the season using the current standings.

The French top-flight was cancelled on Tuesday after the country's Prime Minister Edouard Philippe decreed that sport could not be played until September. 

And now, as a result, the organisation has opted to determine its various spots - including champions, Europe and relegation - using the league table as it stands. 

Olympique Lyonnais proposed as early as Tuesday that the League study an alternative solution which would allow the Championship to be ended and thus preserve the fairness inherent in any sporting competition and to be in line with UEFA's proposals based on sporting merit according to objective, transparent and non-discriminatory principles.

'This solution shared by other clubs was based on the principle of play-offs, a title of champion acquired by PSG, with a calendar limited to three weeks, consistent with health constraints, and an innovative formula which normally could have interested broadcasters, currently lacking content, as well as sports betting and all other economic players in the football industry.' 

This week club president Jean-Michel Aulas revealed his idea for a play-off to decide the rest of the Ligue 1 season, and said the games could be played in August.

He told l'Equipe: 'I have attentively read what UEFA were saying, who wanted us to finish all the competitions, even if we could maybe play in a smaller format, but in August. 

'So, I think there is an alternative way to finish this season with a series of play-offs for the top and the bottom of the table that could happen in August or even in July behind closed doors. 

'We need not rush. I tell myself that perhaps with these rules about de-escalating the quarantine, there is perhaps still room to finish the season.'  

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-8275089/Lyon-considering-legal-action-against-Ligue-1-cancelling-season-current-standings.html

Its nothing to do with them being 7th miles behind. Nothing at all

1 hour ago, TheDrowningMan said:

If football is so unsafe, maybe he'd like to swap places with an indentured labourer in Abu Dhabi?

Didn't think so.

• Upvote 2