You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

9 minutes ago, SasaS said:

It will all depend on the narrative at the moment of decision. If the narrative is we can successfully organize the new normal, they will allow it. Current narrative is still we must do everything it takes to save lives.

While it could well benefit us, the Tory vultures clearly have ulterior motives; restarting when other European countries have demurred is one, because it lets them say Britain is back in business and in fact in such great shape that football can return.

My personal feeling is that I don’t understand the outrage given that many people erroneously crammed under the ‘key worker’ banner by unscrupulous employers are putting their lives on the line to work quite frivolous jobs, so suggesting that football can’t possibly be ready to resume behind closed doors six weeks from now is quite offensive to me, and yet another instance of Britain’s moronic population saying that the lives of the low-paid don’t matter as much as being able to take the piss out of Liverpool supporters.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

The Tories have supposedly given the green light to the Premier League’s framework for a return. Obviously some way off in practice, but given the mentality of Johnson & co, France ruling out sport altogether is probably something they’re keen to one-up.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/premier-leagues-five-point-framework-21948907

Could Liverpool being given the chance to win the league on the field be the thing that finally causes Britain’s Tory cult voters to turn on them?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTO0Z1pvW2i0ofBT8CZzjS

if Boris gets the league done I’ll vote for him.................

Well maybe

10 hours ago, Tj hooker said:

A mate of mine has just sent me this might be bollocks but who knows ; 

Got sent this by somebody in the know. 

Premier league is back in June. I have a lead from someone who works for a sport travel agency that manages logistics for some top teams (spurs, city, wolves, newcastle, rangers to name a few). The company has been tasked to arrange hotels and travel for 8 weeks starting mid may. 

All premier league teams will play their remaining games at st georges park behind closed doors and for TV only. The complex will host 2/3 games a day that will be streamed live. 

The players will go into isolation mid may at select hotels in the vicinity of st georges and will train at local clubs grounds. They will not be able to see family and friends during the period of games. Each player will be tested regulary to ensure safety and hotels will be locked down for players only.

Looks like we are going to have a world cup style June with loads of games to watch.

Sounds good.

St George's would be the choice for me.

If we played at Anfield I've no doubt thousands would turn up to greet the team. That would result in bad press and "fuck them, let's void it now. Scouse twats"

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, an tha said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52443200

Looks less likely we'll see it restart every day.

It's gutting.

Looks like that was written with no thought to the St George idea.

To quote Cheltenham and our game seems strange as mass crowds aren't happening.

It's like being the Grand old Duke of York for a red at the minute.

3 hours ago, DalyanPete said:

Looks like that was written with no thought to the St George idea.

To quote Cheltenham and our game seems strange as mass crowds aren't happening.

It's like being the Grand old Duke of York for a red at the minute.

Yeah - the speculation is a fucking pain, but these journalists have fuck all else to do.

I do think what comes out of Germany today will be important though.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

Does anyone know when the French F.A. plan to make a decision on the outcome of their leagues ? 

Plus, as said Germany will be a big indicator today.

Ironically the governments anti EU stance and Great British bluster may work in our favour.

”Hah! The bloody Krauts can’t restart their football league? We’ll show them!”

4 hours ago, DalyanPete said:

Sounds good.

St George's would be the choice for me.

If we played at Anfield I've no doubt thousands would turn up to greet the team. That would result in bad press and "fuck them, let's void it now. Scouse twats"

Don't want to quote myself but like I said, Scouse twats..

Britain’s most senior football police officer, Mark Roberts, said yesterday the nuclear option should apply if supporters congregate outside a stadium during or after a match there.

As Premier League clubs continued to plan for a return to action behind closed doors – including discussing the likes of drive-in screenings, digital viewing parties and cardboard cut-outs of fans – Roberts also said clubs had the option of banning any fan found to have breached the rules in this manner.

The risk of supporters congregating – particularly in the event Liverpool are crowned champions of England for the first time in 30 years – has formed part of talks between police and the football authorities over plans to complete the season behind closed doors.

Today could be a mad one in terms of logistics.

Potentially, the Bundesliga could get the green light today from Angela. If it does, it will make it very unlikely the pl isn't completed behind closed doors. I think La Liga will follow suit also.

If she doesn't, then I think Uefa's hope to complete their competitions in August are kiboshed. French, Dutch and then German clubs mean that it isn't feasible that timeframe. The big question is will they delay it a few weeks/months, which could then give domestic leagues a chance to be completed or will they write it off with a view to their 20/21 competitions kicking off on schedule?

Serie A seems to be touch and go. Civil war between the Sports Minister and the league authorities. 

35 minutes ago, DalyanPete said:

Don't want to quote myself but like I said, Scouse twats..

Britain’s most senior football police officer, Mark Roberts, said yesterday the nuclear option should apply if supporters congregate outside a stadium during or after a match there.

As Premier League clubs continued to plan for a return to action behind closed doors – including discussing the likes of drive-in screenings, digital viewing parties and cardboard cut-outs of fans – Roberts also said clubs had the option of banning any fan found to have breached the rules in this manner.

The risk of supporters congregating – particularly in the event Liverpool are crowned champions of England for the first time in 30 years – has formed part of talks between police and the football authorities over plans to complete the season behind closed doors.

If you want to get a conspiracist's tin foil hat on, it doesnt even need to be a crowd outside Anfield does it? Despite all the bullshit the shouters put out about us all descending on Anfield, you can gaurantee a 'crowd' would turn up at any of the clubs in the bottom 3. You'd also get crowds turning up at arsenal, united, chelsea etc but it's only Liverpool where they say people would turn up. Sure, we have more to win but Im not buying the idea fans of other clubs arent going to descend on their home ground if there's a game on.

I think it was pretty disgraceful of Macron to try and tell the UK to cancel the PL. Clearly, he's done that to ease the pressure on his Government not only canning football but all sports including Le Tour until September.

As for the BBC, to be fair this situation is manna from heaven for them. They can get a massive increase in page hits right now by simply mentioning Liverpool and cancelling the season. Why do people think every day the daily wail runs at least 3 stories in it's sports pages about leagues being cancelled and impact on Liverpool? Their 'poll' shows over 50% of respondents want the season 'null and void.' Little if any discussion about Rugby, golf, cycling, tennis etc, just football.

As Ive said earlier, we've all but lost the war of words over the season, we just have to hope the football authorities and Government do not get swayed by them. Im now desparately pinning my hopes on the French league proclaiming PSG Champions. Im also disappointed PSG and Lyon(?) havent kicked up more of a fuss about no football in France until September yet UEFA saying their CL games will be played in August.

I think it's heading more and more towards football not starting back in June or July or even August.

There is also still a chance that they may decide sport is not a risk worth taking until a vaccine is found. 

In either cases it seems daft to cancel this league and probably the next one too?  Just wait until its appropriate to re-start the current campaign. And if that's in February 2021 then so be it.  At least one of the two leagues is finished as opposed to neither of them. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I've seen it in a few places people saying we can't award Liverpool the title as they might celebrate.  Ludicrous.

Agree.  I’m not saying there is a few dickhead fans but the fact people have been pretty good over the lockdown yet suddenly will gather in their thousands thus putting family members at risk is a bit of a shitty agenda to justify voiding the league 

4 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

PSG declared French Champions - Breaking!

Ligue Un's current standings taken as final, no news about promotion and relegation yet.

Is that definite as it’s not on Sly Sports at the minute?

ignore that....

PSG are 'crowned as champions of France' despite the season being ended prematurely with all French sporting events shut down until September

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-8273271/amp/PSG-crowned-champions-France-despite-season-ended-prematurely.html?__twitter_impression=true

6 minutes ago, Stickman said:

Bitters on Twitter are saying it’s unfair to relegate Toulouse and Amiens ....Great aren’t they there literally is no barrel they won’t crawl into to scrape 

Can you imagine if we are crowned champions?

They will be frothing at the mouth for centuries to come ha ha ha.

The fact that we're 10 billion points ahead of 2nd place doesn't even compute with those bitter cunts.