You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

4 minutes ago, Daisy said:

How the fuck can they announce its cancelled with no confirmation on the plan finish the positions

To be fair, it was the French Prime Minister saying no football or sport until September and effectively ended the league for them. That put the football authorities in a difficult place because they'd intended to re start.

The French League have said they'll decide on Champions, euro places and relegation some time in May.

Re: France, I'm not sure on the reliability of the source but some official sounding bloke, whilst silent on if PSG will be declared champions, seems to suggest that there'll be relegations from and promotions to Ligue 1.

https://www.letelegramme.fr/football/football-noel-le-graet-ligue-1-et-ligue-2-definitivement-arretees-exclusif-28-04-2020-12545259.php

What’s going to happen over season tickets now. .?

That FIFA medical advisor has said football hopefully can start on September 1st but who the fuck would buy a season ticket if this thing as seems likely is still knocking around months from now?

3 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Re: France, I'm not sure on the reliability of the source but some official sounding bloke, whilst silent on if PSG will be declared champions, seems to suggest that there'll be relegations from and promotions to Ligue 1.

https://www.letelegramme.fr/football/football-noel-le-graet-ligue-1-et-ligue-2-definitivement-arretees-exclusif-28-04-2020-12545259.php

By definition if you are gong to promote, you have declared the Champions in Ligue 2

Saw something there on twitter. Seems to be an Irish site which says that the French might allow the league to resume games in August and the Belgians have postponed a decision to award the league to club brugge as they want to see if their league can return.

https://www.offtheball.com/sport/french-sports-ministry-opens-door-seasons-finishing-august-1007345?utm_source=whatsapp&utm_campaign=article&utm_medium=web

https://www.offtheball.com/sport/belgian-clubs-postpone-vote-end-season-early-1006754?utm_source=whatsapp&utm_campaign=article&utm_medium=web

3 hours ago, aws said:

The PL could have taken a lot of the heat out of this by declaring that if the season is curtailed then obviously Liverpool will be declared champions in view of the huge existing lead.  Hopefully they will do that after Friday's meeting. 

How can they do that? What incentive is there for Liverpool to take to the pitch again. Just say you have a player with covid and get the league suspended. You can't announce an outcome of any kind if there's no finish (relegation, promotion, champions or European places) while your stated aim is to restart. Otherwise all kinds of clubs reasons to play even if they have covid cases or not  if they don't. 

3 hours ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Yeah things like this are poor form by UEFA. I mean I can't stand PSG's owners and I hate the owner of Lyon, but incredibly unfair that some leagues could play out and have match fit teams and others could be knackered after 30 minutes if they enter European football in August.

Now that it isn't conceivable that French teams can fairly play, I think there is a decent chance that UEFA look to complete their competitions in September, especially if one or more of the other big leagues can't return as scheduled in June.

Miguel Delaney made a point our government seem to want football back - maybe to get the masses off their backs for how fucking inept they are.

The other thing here is uefa want to finish the uefa season in august, yet haven't told us how they'll deal with countries that aren't allowed to even host a game. If the French believe managing their virus involves no professional sport, surely it's not right for their players to be exported and play elsewhere? 

2 hours ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

We could have already won it mathematically and certain fans would still not want it to be awarded. 

That's the truth right there. "It's not fair on sheff United, they might have got CL, you can't award the champions and not give them a chance to get in the CL. Why shoild only Liverpool be rewarded, it's not just about you, it's the whole pyramid. You just have to void the season"

51 minutes ago, Stickman said:

His quotes are more all over the place than his face...One minute it’s cancel this season so we can start the next one then we can’t have a complete solution till we have a vaccine .

The end of this is the key point when anyone says "just start afresh in August". There's every chance june-september might be time for football by which time restrictions will have been lifted in many areas and the infection rate goes above 1 and we start talking about more lockdown in the autumn. Until there's a vaccine, we don't know how many weeks of football can be possible. They should just treat football like many other industries and when they agree a safe way to move forward, they start playing - and if that means one set of 38 games finishes on Monday and a new set on Friday, so be it. Then if that (and the other measures in other industries ) raises the infection rate, then we need to bring things back in... Or actually the government don't as we strive towards their aim of herd immunity. 

Personally I think there needs to be an acceptance that international football (both club and national teams) will be impossible until there's a vaccine. That probably won't impress uefa, but as we've seen from the Dutch and French governments this last week, there's unlikely to be an internationally coordinated lifting of restrictions. So domestic football may well be possible at different times in different places and that is maybe the new normal we all need to accept and then aim to start getting the world of football back on track way down the line with a vaccine and life back as we used to know it. In the mean time FIFA and uefa need to shut the fuck up and let domestic leagues find a way in their own country to play. 

And as I keep saying, if they void, I'm done. 

Our season won't be voided, it might be cancelled though. Big difference, because we'll be awarded the title. 

Still fucking shit and absolutely gutting that we are going to be robbed of that moment now.

But playing behind closed doors, we are denied it anyway? No parade either.

What they don't realise is, if you start a new season in September and people still get the virus, they are fucked and could lose out on two seasons. 

Sport is life for so many people, not just football fans. With the world on it knees and the public having low morale after lockdown, give the fucking public something to look forward to and a boost.

But no, let's start a new season. Make everybody feel flat again, zero competition. It's an absolutely stupid decision and doesn't take any of the current situation into account. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Stickman said:

What’s going to happen over season tickets now. .?

That FIFA medical advisor has said football hopefully can start on September 1st but who the fuck would buy a season ticket if this thing as seems likely is still knocking around months from now?

Season Ticket and Members renewals are on hold. The club has said they'll either refund money for the 4 home games left or credit for next season's ticket. How they'll work that out for next season's ticket is a conundrum because it is expected no crowd in the ground until the New Year at the earliest.

Stay strong Barry lad!

The reality is that if football isn't able to happen until September, then that puts a gigantic spanner in Uefa's plan to nicely wrap up their competitions in August. In that case, next season is completely compromised anyway which means they already have to get their thinking caps on for how they work it out. It could be finish the domestic season along with cup competitions and then creative about next season.

The football authorities are damned if they do, damned if they don't. There will be legal action whatever they decide unless they finish the season.

For what it's worth, I think our season will be completed. Borris and the gang have fucked it up and football for the masses draws attention away from them.

There is definitely too much risk in it restarting any time soon, but avoiding a season 75% complete would be a travesty, to all levels of the pyramid.

They simply have to find a solution before starting a new season as there's absolutely no guarantee that one won't be curtailed too. There'll be law changes to future seasons that will have war, pestilence, pandemic or fucking asteroid scenarios built into it to avoid this situation ever happening again.

At the end of the day, sporting integrity dictates that success is rewarded and failure isn't. Voiding does the latter and I think there will be a fairly toxic atmosphere when football does eventually return. Saving lives transcends sport but there must come a point when measures are relaxed. As has been pointed out do supermarkets or hospitals shut down if someone catches the virus?

One thing is for certain, football as we know it is going to be unrecognisable to what came before. I hope supporters groups, clubs, leagues and broadcasters work together to salvage the good aspects of modern football and vanquish some of the bad, but vested interests will probably mean that supporters will be shafted again.

40 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Saw something there on twitter. Seems to be an Irish site which says that the French might allow the league to resume games in August and the Belgians have postponed a decision to award the league to club brugge as they want to see if their league can return.

https://www.offtheball.com/sport/french-sports-ministry-opens-door-seasons-finishing-august-1007345?utm_source=whatsapp&utm_campaign=article&utm_medium=web

https://www.offtheball.com/sport/belgian-clubs-postpone-vote-end-season-early-1006754?utm_source=whatsapp&utm_campaign=article&utm_medium=web

I hope they are right with these reports, Ronnie. Otherwise I'll be off me fucking nut with disillusionment again.

If this season is not completed, every season afterwards should have an asterisk attached!  

Why is it sooooo important to start next season?  What am I missing regarding the need to ensure that next season is started at some point?  It seems that’s what all these experts/pundits keep bleating on about. Why?  I’m really struggling to understand how starting next season is more important/beneficial than finishing the current season.  

Can anyone enlighten me? 

If we were 5th or 6th and Man Utd were 25 points ahead in first place I dont think I would be going off my head trying to get the season voided. I think a lot of us would just accept we were shit and that they were that far ahead it didnt matter.

I didnt use Everton in this scenario as I wanted to keep it semi realistic.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

If we were 5th or 6th and Man Utd were 25 points ahead in first place I dont think I would be going off my head trying to get the season voided. I think a lot of us would just accept we were shit and that they were that far ahead it didnt matter.

I didnt use Everton in this scenario as I wanted to keep it semi realistic.

If Ferguson was still manager it wouldn't even be up for debate it would already be in their  trophy cabinet 

21 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Simon Jordan is trending for this 

Did anyone tell him his beloved Palace would have a moral obligation to pay back all that lovely tv, sponsorship, hospitality, fan and prize money they had received if his wish to 'lose' the season is realised? Or does he think Palace would be ok morally keeping every single penny? Cunt.